Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
smokedvw
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Input needed on 2013 12m Liquid Force Envy vs NRG vs Wainman

Postby smokedvw » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 pm

I previously had a 2010 Wainman quiver but sold my 6.5 and 9m. I kept the 12m and started to try to find a used 9m Smoke without luck. I ended up picking up a 2012 Liquid Force Envy and went on a month trip with both. I really enjoyed how stable the envy was and since I was starting to get into jumping I found it quite forgiving. If I bailed on a trick I could easily let go of the bar but the kite would stay up in the air and was easy to get going again... that was very rarely the case with the wainman. I also felt that when I crashed the kite (many times) it was always ready to go on the edge of the window when I was. The wainman took a while to get relaunched.

I did find that the 9m Envy did not have as much low end as my 9m wainman smoke, nor did it jump as high but it was more stable and way easier to practice tricks.

Pros:
- super stable
- always on the window ready to relaunch
- easy to get learning tricks on
- stable in gusts or so I have found up to 30 knots

Cons:
- not as much low end grunt
- depower under the bar is not the best
- jumping is not the highest

The wainman 12m boss... it was great in low winds, tons of low end power. Lots of time I was upwind when my friends were not on their 12's but I found the kite has a lot of pull. In gusty weather I found my back getting sore after a few hour session which I did not notice on the LF. I also found the Wainman not to be as forgiving trying to jump. If I bailed sometimes I would get ripped around pretty good before I got control of the kite again.

Pros:
- great low end
- depower above the bar is great
- can be super aggressive with the kite and it responds well

Cons:
- no 5th line depower but that is fixed in 2012+
- pulls hard, sometimes I found this a pain when your getting ripped around, especially when dragged around after bailing on a jump
- relaunch is not as good as the envy

I need to get a new 12m kite and I'm trying to decide between the LF Envy / Wainman or the NRG which I have not ridden.

What I want out of the kite:
- low end power since its a 12 and I want to ride in 15 knots (180lb, 133 tt)
- stable and easy relaunch
- forgiving for practicing trips
- ability to get good air and glide for practicing new tricks
- good freeride as well

I'm curious to hear peoples opinions of the 12m LF envy and NRG and maybe compared to a wainman boss if you have ridden one.

Thanks a lot 8)

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Re: Input needed on 2013 12m Liquid Force Envy vs NRG vs Wai

Postby slingshotucf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:29 pm

I've been on the 2014 NRG's and the Envy's. Both are great kites. Both are stable and have huge wind range and low end for 2014. The NRG has been beefed up with better materials and sew patterns along with a shorter bridal to keep from line wraps around the wing tips.

The 2014 Envy is a totally new kite. I rode the 2012 and wasn't impressed and the 2013 was better but, the 2014 is amazing. Really nice in the waves, with tons of depower and set it and forget it style of riding. The drift is great, I tried to Hindenburg the kite and couldn't. Not a super big jumper but really nice unhooked with tons of slack to pass the bar. The NRG is the kite to go for if you want really big floaty airs. The below the bar depower still isn't my cup of tea but it works, I think a micro loop set up with the NRG would really make it a great airstyle kite. Envy is still the easy relaunch kite. If you get a chance to demo one, that will be your best bet. I personally like the Envy for my style of riding but both are a fun ride.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:24 pm

hi, i have 2103 and 2014 nrg. The 2014 nrg is a lot better than 2013.
better relaunching, good jumps , strong kite material (time will tell) good turning speed. Yesterday my mate who is better kite rider than me took if for a spin. see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjtHfpNynjs

I have never flown a wainman or the envy yet.

smokedvw
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby smokedvw » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 pm

ciscokitesurfer wrote:hi, i have 2103 and 2014 nrg. The 2014 nrg is a lot better than 2013.
better relaunching, good jumps , strong kite material (time will tell) good turning speed. Yesterday my mate who is better kite rider than me took if for a spin. see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjtHfpNynjs

I have never flown a wainman or the envy yet.
I would be looking at the 2013 NRG or Envy.

Are you only using the light wind NRG or the smaller ones as well?
Isnt the material is the same on both (T9600 ) 2013/2014?

slingshotucf on the 12m Envy / NRG how many knots did you need to get upwind and your weight/board?

Thanks

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 am

on the 12 meter 2013 NRG I need winds over 10 knots with a race board. I am 85 Kilos. I used the 10 and 12 NRG 2013 for 8 months and no issues with the sails. 2013 is a different material than 2014.

Return to “Reviews”