*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 am
Posts: 193
Hello everyone,

I am ordering a few custom made line extensions.
They will have universal loop/knot combinations on both ends, therefore they will fit with any setup.
Material is the same as North'.
I order at kiteleinen.com, Peter is obviously a very friendly and competent guy.
Prices are quite fair. For 3 line extension sets (a 4 lines) incl. shipping EU I pay 150-180 Euros, depending on the length of the lines.

So here is my question:

My Naish Drafts come with a 3 meter extension set already. I ride a 24m North Quad bar with it.

I thought of the following setups:

24m lines on the bar
3m --> 27 extensions that come with the Draft kites
To be ordered:
6m --> 30m
9m -> 33m
12m --> 36m

What do you think? Does that give me enough flexibility to find the right length of lines I prefer or are 3m steps too big?

I guess I am going to end up flying the Draft 17m2 with 27m lines, the Draft 14m2 with 30m lines and the Draft 12m with 33m lines (or all of them with even 3m+)

I use the inner setting of the North bar and do not intend to customise it - making it shorter etc.
I know that longer lines generate more power - so the two effects I am looking for like slower steering / less power might not work out well sometimes (especially in strong wind)

Your thoughts?


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:21 pm
Posts: 231
Location: Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Mui Ne, Vietnam
Macisback wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am ordering a few custom made line extensions.
They will have universal loop/knot combinations on both ends, therefore they will fit with any setup.
Material is the same as North'.
I order at kiteleinen.com, Peter is obviously a very friendly and competent guy.
Prices are quite fair. For 3 line extension sets (a 4 lines) incl. shipping EU I pay 150-180 Euros, depending on the length of the lines.

So here is my question:

My Naish Drafts come with a 3 meter extension set already. I ride a 24m North Quad bar with it.

I thought of the following setups:

24m lines on the bar
3m --> 27 extensions that come with the Draft kites
To be ordered:
6m --> 30m
9m -> 33m
12m --> 36m

What do you think? Does that give me enough flexibility to find the right length of lines I prefer or are 3m steps too big?

I guess I am going to end up flying the Draft 17m2 with 27m lines, the Draft 14m2 with 30m lines and the Draft 12m with 33m lines (or all of them with even 3m+)

I use the inner setting of the North bar and do not intend to customise it - making it shorter etc.
I know that longer lines generate more power - so the two effects I am looking for like slower steering / less power might not work out well sometimes (especially in strong wind)

Your thoughts?

3 m steps are fine. I ride old school mostly with 25-27. I found that 35 m lines make for a really slow kite however I cannot get near as much height since it wont snap to 12. Also the lines start to bow quite a bit with the wind drag decreasing your steering ability even further. If you fly on the inside connections with 35 in anything more than 12 knots, you will likely find that the steering is too slow. 30m I think would be the ideal for old school in light to moderate winds but I made my compromise at 27 so I can still battle waves in a moments notice, transition quickly when things get tight, and get a good amount of height still.
For extensions, Why not buy a roll of Q-line 500 feet and make your own extensions? Cheaper, stronger, last longer, custom lengths, no need for sleeves, and you'll have loads left over.

Play around and find what works for you.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 pm
Posts: 19
hi

I have draft 17m and 12m

I started with 27 meter on the 17m, But faund that it was to short.
To do downloops you need some Space to do it and the kite is very Wieth , so I changes it to 29 meter, Works better for me.

My 17m draft did come with 4 meter extensons line , so with your 25m North bar it will be 29 meter.
I use outer conection on North bar with my 17m, other wise it is a Little to slow for me ( but I am no way neer Toby level and dont do rotation yet, so maybe I change as I progrees)

12m I only treid it with 24m , I will try it with 29 meter NeXT time the Wind is strong.
with 12m I defently use inner cinection.

hope you can use my info

be strong and happy
lars


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:04 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 am
Posts: 193
Hey guys, great info, thanks!

@Flybykite: I am not very good with customising - I prefer to let pros do that :-)

I have a Draft 17/14/12

So from your info and Tobys my conclusion is:

32m is definitly the max (Toby on a 13sqm Dyno)
27m is where the fun starts

I already have a 3m and a 4m extension (didnt know that the 17m comes with a 4m extension :) )

So I can use

24+3 = 27
24+4 = 28
To order:
24 + 5 = 29
24+6 = 30
24+ 7 = 31
24 + 8 = 32

I will then test the Drafts and see what fits best in which conditions and kitesizes.
Looking at your experience I might end up with 32m or 31m for the 12m2, 30m or 29m for the 14m2 and 28m or 27m for the 17m2

@ LarsMadsen:

With the 4 line quad bar of North (you use the same, right?) is there any issues with the red safety line when the depower setting is set to full depower? Just got 2 North Quad bars today and after upgrading it with the miniloop/microhook and measuring line lengthes I discovered that the red line of course is really loose when set to full depower (Could maybe have lots of winddrag next to the powerline (Mini 5th that goes into the low Y)?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 pm
Posts: 19
Macisback wrote:

@ LarsMadsen:

With the 4 line quad bar of North (you use the same, right?) is there any issues with the red safety line when the depower setting is set to full depower? Just got 2 North Quad bars today and after upgrading it with the miniloop/microhook and measuring line lengthes I discovered that the red line of course is really loose when set to full depower (Could maybe have lots of winddrag next to the powerline (Mini 5th that goes into the low Y)?

I have 5th line(need ajustment) , you dont need any ajustment for your quad bar, just extension lines, naish and North have the same loop and knot at both ends.
I havent descover eny problems with the red line


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 am
Posts: 193
Thanks Lars,

the quad bar has o Low Y - its only a few meters till the lines split (unlike the 5th element which has a mid Y at 12.5m), so there is no differnce from line angle to the Naish bars, even without line extensions.

I will have to test if the loose red line (should be the same with any kite I guess) bothers me and if the Naish can fully depower on the mini 5th of the North Quad (Naish uses safety on frontline)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:23 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:21 pm
Posts: 231
Location: Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Mui Ne, Vietnam
Macisback wrote:

@Flybykite: I am not very good with customising - I prefer to let pros do that :-)



It's probably more simple than you expect.
Take Q line of any length and tie a double figure 8 knot in the end to form a loop. Like this.
Attachment:
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG [ 329.56 KIB | Viewed 840 times ]


Then make the same loop on the other end of the line. Make all 4 to the same length and you're done.
Q line does not need to be sleeved like other lines. You can do it all in under 1 hour. Probably all 3 sets in under an hour. If you have not ordered your extentions, you could save some coin and have higher quality extensions and maybe learn something. :naughty:
Good luck with it..


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 am
Posts: 193
Hehe flyby, the man has got skill :-)

Thats seriously simple, good idea! If I would use some waterproof textile tape and glue to seal it at the ends it would be as good as professionally produced!

But I already supported the Kiteindustry and ordered 4 sets a 5/6/7/8m with loopknots in the right colours....call me a perfectionist... (my kiting still kind of sucks (stuck at backrolls and boardoffs atm), but at least soon my gear will be amazing ;-) )

Actually, where do you kite usually? Would be fun to see your custommade bar, lines etc.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:21 pm
Posts: 231
Location: Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Mui Ne, Vietnam
I kite Nitinat lake from May-Sept. on the west coast of BC, Canada and November-April in Mui Ne, Vietnam. About 200 days a year. Right now I'm on my 2 month break to sort out finances and general non kite related things.
Here is my finished bar with Q-line. Bought a 500 foot roll and made all 4 lines and still have about 30 meters left. No need to use glue or tape but I suppose it would look better. This works for me.
Attachment:
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG [ 881.75 KIB | Viewed 757 times ]

I assume you read my other posts about the bar I was building. Here is what I chose to do for the single front line flag mod. Actually I want to post this photo just for some more feedback cause I know eventually it will wear at the bend against the stainless steel and perhaps someone knows a trick or 2.
Attachment:
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG [ 1006.39 KIB | Viewed 757 times ]


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Line extensions for Airstyle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:25 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 am
Posts: 193
Finances...puh - Kiting is an expensive sport...
For my setup from scratch (2 boards, 3 kites, 3 bars, bags, harnesses, jackets, accesoires and Airstyle gear I ended up with a f.... fortune...)

I hope the kites will last a bit, I cant kite more then 6-10 weeks a year (which I find quite impressive besides a 9-5 job ;-) )

I until now only spent 60-100 hours on the water, but I hope that will become more and more. (I take it relaxed - I only kite 2-3 hours a day)

Mui Ne - I heard it is suuuper dirty (water etc.)?

You really are a custom builder...maybe I will need a bit of your help if the North Quad bar doesnt work well with the Naish Draft Kites (not sure if the kite is completely flagging out)..

cheers


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group