Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Show us your riding style

Postby flybykite » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I really like watching others ride and seeing their personal style. How do you ride? Surf, freestyle, freeride, wake, oldschool, mixed. Post your videos or photos. We need some entertainment here on KF when the wind is down.

This one was about a week into learning toeside backrolls in Mui Ne, Vietnam last year.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Re: Show us your riding style

Postby Macisback » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Niice one :-)
didnt make any nice videos yet, but will soon

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:45 pm

I liked it...we both ride toeside on same tack
Do you have access to a strapped surfboard instead of a TT

It is a sweet move indeed..i really like all toeside moves either take-offs or landings on strap surf
I have no video but i like to send a small kiteloop into it...clean landing no twist in lines

Also try with a downloop you'll get 2 twists in lines and will have executed a 180 toeside back tack

Practice that one first on heelside to get the feel of it

Go for normal back loop and at apex of jump downloop the kite for a 180 tack landing toeside
2 twists in line but well worth the feeling you get

:cheers: :surf:

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Nice slow stylish rotations flybykite. How was Mui Ne? Do you think it is a nice place to bring the wife and small kids?

I would't call this style, but here is one of me on a 15m kite. I like the backy-mount, but an entire video with it gets kind if boring. Sorry for that, I was alone :roll: .

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix

Postby elliott george » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Erlend M B wrote:Nice slow stylish rotations flybykite. How was Mui Ne? Do you think it is a nice place to bring the wife and small kids?

I would't call this style, but here is one of me on a 15m kite. I like the backy-mount, but an entire video with it gets kind if boring. Sorry for that, I was alone :roll: .

That was some sick riding there erland. I couldn't help noticing you were riding system bindings.
I've tried them at the cable, and I really liked them. But how do they work for kitesurfing? Also what boot where you using and would you say there easier or harder to get on than regular bindings?

I doubt I'll get some anytime soon as there £350 quid for boot and system but what top end boot isn't 300+ these days. But I'm qurious. Cheers.

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 am

elliott george wrote:
That was some sick riding there erland. I couldn't help noticing you were riding system bindings.
I've tried them at the cable, and I really liked them. But how do they work for kitesurfing? Also what boot where you using and would you say there easier or harder to get on than regular bindings?

I doubt I'll get some anytime soon as there £350 quid for boot and system but what top end boot isn't 300+ these days. But I'm qurious. Cheers.
I agree with you, they are great cable boots. For kiting, I have switched back to my old 2009 ronix cells for the summer, maybe I will switch back to the systems when the water gets colder. I think the bindings is more difficult to put on than normal boots. But someone said that by leaving the toe strap half fastened, they are easier to put on.

Here is an answer I gave at another forum, it pretty much sums up your questions:

"I've got the 2012 system with the Marek boot.

Heres what I don't like:
-The boot is to narrow in the widest area of my foot. (Could be fixed on 2013 models)
-The lace lock won't lock (Could be fixed on 2013 models)
-The thing to hold the lacehandle in place don't work that well (Could be fixed on 2013 models)
-The ratchet for the toes sometimes slips.(Could be fixed on 2013 models)
-Once on a wipeout, the boot came out of the binding, both ratchets released.(Could be fixed on 2013 models)
- The binding has a little more volume on the heelside, and it tends to catch the water when you edge hard.

-The binding is difficult to get into when you are connected to a kite. You can't sit down and put them on unless you have a chair to sit on or you are into yoga or gymnastics.
You can stand and put them on, but that can be difficult if you have a decent amount of power in your kite. Putting them on in deep water is really difficult. The reason it is more difficult than a regular binding, is that with a regular binding, once you have put your feet in the boot, you are connected to the board and you can move it around with your legs to lace up. While with the system, you have no control over the board until you have cranked in the first boot.

Here is what I like:
-Walking around in the cold water, or messy beach, with the boots on.
-They are rigid as hell. (Personal preference)
-excellent heel hold"

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 pm

I like your style Erlind, I have not gotten the surface passes yet but now I'm on Ozone Edges for the past 8 months and its a bear to unhook on them :o I love Mui Ne! I think its not for everyone but I have a soft spot for SE Asia and I can ride nearly every day from Nov.-most of April. Its good for a family also. There are a few things to do other than kite but you will probably want to check out other areas as well if the rest of the family isnt kiting. For me, I never get bored of awesome cheap food, sun, g-strings :D, happy people , and night life anytime you feel like it.

@ SupaEZ
I do have a Naish Global in Mui Ne I like to ride and I also like the toeside rolls with it. I have done the downloop with backroll. Great feeling and not so much pull as if you kitelooped it.
Lately I've been on a darkslide kick. Grabbed darkslide with a backroll transition and loop. I do have some videos of it but Murphys law set in and I didnt like them as much as most. Maybe I'll get a clip together anyway.

Thought this thread might be good way to put a face and style to a lot of the regular posters here that you just dont get from reading and all the pro vids are well... pro vids.

g00se
Medium Poster

Postby g00se » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Flybykite: What harness setup do you have in the video? Looks like it's either a dynabar type setup or a really loose harness that spins round your body?

Just asking as I'm wondering if that helps with the toeside takeoffs etc.

Really liked the vid, nice smooth riding :thumb:

Thanks!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 am

SupaEZ wrote:I liked it...
It is a sweet move indeed..i really like all toeside moves either take-offs or landings on strap surf
I have no video but i like to send a small kiteloop into it...clean landing no twist in lines

:cheers: :surf:
I got money for Another 6'er of that Golden Monkey ----
"just SHOW Me, that one" ; make the wife earn her 1/2 with the camera-work !!

Bille

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:24 pm

flybykite wrote: @ SupaEZ
I do have a Naish Global in Mui Ne I like to ride and I also like the toeside rolls with it. I have done the downloop with backroll. Great feeling and not so much pull as if you kitelooped it.
Great .......so you do the backroll on surfboard from heelside and also from toeside with downloop ?

How about a toeside forward downloop...essentially a 540 rotation that you land heeside
That one is a great feeling also with no line twist

Thanks for sharing :cheers:
Last edited by SupaEZ on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”