Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If you could live anywhere for a year... where would you go?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: If you could live anywhere for a year... where would you

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:41 am

longwhitecloud wrote:i kind of presumed Kamikuza was trolling....

chilled, no stress, sport, rugby, boats, fishing, sailing, road trips, camping, outdoors, Maori culture, Pacific culture, Euro culture, Asian culture, no nuclear anything allowed - even in nz waters, awesome wildlife, very low population, Hobbits, Flight of the Concords, Lorde (no1 in US charts), Americas Cup, Volcanoes, Mountains, Beaches, Fjords, Subtropical North, Crickets that ski on snow, lizards with 3 eyes, parrots that live in snow, a 10 foot high bird that could eat people, thermal hot pools... some ideas anyway
Pardon my ignorance, but many of the above is a landscape. Not a culture. Or my definition of culture is different than yours so forgive me:)

Cultural experience is much more than a pretty landscape in my books. And to experience that one should move away from the US culture (or the US influenced).

Bali is a cultural example for me. But you won't find it in Kuta:) Is it safe? No. But it's awesome.

Vietnam would be great for kiting. Many went there for holidays. Cheap. Safe. Huge cultural experience and food!

Sri Lanka would be stunning. Or Mauritius. Safe? Hm, hm. Great culture and food (French speaking).

Philippines for sure. Is it safe? All depends on a place and moment(1). Boracay might be very busy.

Now, Australia where I live. No culture. Mediocre food. Expensive. Deserted beaches - how to get help? Safe? See (1). But people love it (most of them only in camping, 4x4 and fishing tho - not me).

And than you have Italy, Sardinia even Sicily. Or all neighboring countries. Can't be compared...It might change your life. Beware:)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 am

longwhitecloud wrote:Sounds like some troubling stories. 27 years too long by the sounds of things.

NZ - some more useful info - car crime and violent crime too high for sure but the levels are still similar to European countries - not as high as americas. Other kinds of crimes are comparatively very low (very few guns, can leave surfboard at beach for 3 days and its still there - it happened..). Kiwis will often go out of their way to help others out, they have a well know reputation for this. Tourists are targeted (eg petty theft from vehicles - get a 4wd and park on beach?..) - the stats are not anything to worry about too much really; compared to so many other countries, it's a walk in the park.

They do like to drink beer.... and rugby take priority over any other world or national news. World war 3 could be going on and an article about how All Blacks didn't win by at least 10 points, just 5.. would be front page - World War 3 would be small print on page 24, actions sports article would be bigger.

This is pretty funny - http://nzblokes.co.nz/25-hardest-things ... w-zealand/
I keep trying to trade in my passport... no luck yet.

Here, we leave gear on the beach and the back door of the van wide open while out on the water. Nothing gets stolen. Ever.

No theft is "petty"...!

Park on the beach? That's not very eco :o

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 am

^^^

That is a different cultural landscape:) Doesn't exist elsewhere...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 am

I think I want to go to Japan, those southern tropical islands look awesome have had a few friends ride down there.

Nuclear power stations? That's not very eco (nuclear power of any kind in banned in nz and nz waters).

Would probably say a lot of what I wrote is considered part of the cultural experience of NZ. Maori, Pacific, Euro, Chinese, Korean all big influences here. Largest polynesian city in the world.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:16 am

There are heaps of N-plants in the US...

Yes, influenced. In South Africa there is a biggest (or 2nd, not sure), Indian community in the World. You'll see the influence, not the original India. Sort of a copy of it. An replica.
For the real thing, go to India.

To see from where I'm coming from, lets' say is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture

See Aspects of culture for example. No Natural Landscapes anywhere. Or boats, fishing, etc.

But that of course depends on KiteFL's views on culture....Or yours and mine:) In one month of Europe you'll experience more culture than in 10-20 years in NZ or AU (or Oklahoma:). Just like Sydney Opera House with 2500 performances per year! 2500!

Turkey might be well english spoken, with a lot of wind and Istanbul is a new hub for cheap air travel. Safe (so, so, for the ladies).

Portugal waters are cold. Good waves tho.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:49 am

Colonialist NZ has only got 170 years under its belt , Maori 700 years. There are 4 Million people in NZ - 1300 million in india. Pacific and Maori history and culture is pretty damn interesting. NZ is a real mix. Interracial marriage is very common. It is a real blend of culture. I think a lot of my friends would say going on a roadie exploring, camping/ to stay in their batch, driving along beach going for a surf and eating the fish they just caught is part of their NZ culture. Some people may not think it is very sophisticated but to them it is most awesome. There are not many places like NZ left on earth. There are for sure a lot of cool places to travel around the world, but when I come back to NZ from holiday I am always stoked to be back. I have lived in Manly, Sydney, I really liked it.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:24 am

longwhitecloud wrote:There are not many places like NZ left on earth.
Thank god for that! :naughty:

What exactly are you glad to be back to?

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 am

Yearound? I'd say the Canary islands. Kiteboarding, surfing etc...

Wind most of the year.
Waves most of the year.
Great weather most of the year.
Good food.
Lots of places/islands to explore.
Nice culture.
Convenient for language/places to stay
Euro but not too expensive.

Not so good:
Water is a bit cold. Especially if you are used to tropical climates.
Crowded in summer at the main spots.

The thing that bothers me most with South East Asia is the humidity hence the poor weather. Very cloudy, rainy and tons of bugs. Yearound, can't have a nice meal outside without being eaten alive.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Back to get pissed, steal some cars, and maybe a bit of petty violence of course. Better be careful I don't get caught, might be fined $20 ( 20c installments for 2 years) and have to do some community gardening for a few weeks.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Kamikuza wrote:NZ is a great cultural experience if you like drunken rugby players baying like morons, assholes who want to fight you over the most trivial of things, and having all your gear stolen.

There are many reasons I love NZ, but almost none of them are the people :D

Personally, I'd rather trip around... a month here, a month there.
I lived for a month in Wellington last year. Maybe it's different in other areas, but this sounds like complete BS to me. My experience was the complete opposite. Everyone I met was really warm and friendly, and genuine. I really loved it there and coming back to the SF Bay Area felt like a rat race by comparison.

Return to “Travel”