Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has any stayed and kited at Riu Guanacaste in Costa Rica?

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Has any stayed and kited at Riu Guanacaste in Costa Rica?

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm

The Riu is close to Salinas and Im curious if the Riu gets just as good of wind? I am looking for a place over Christmas. I looked into the kiteboarding costa rica website but i would rather go someplace that i dont have to cook my own food or rent a car.

Anyone have feedback for the Riu?

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: Has any stayed and kited at Riu Guanacaste in Costa Rica

Postby whabbits » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:04 pm

There are 3 restaurants in Bahia Salinas that cater to the kiteboarders.
Most people do not rent a car, instead they take a cab for $80 from the airport to main area.

I have not heard of anyone kiting in Riu, I am not sure the wind goes that far south.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:23 pm

whabbits wrote:There are 3 restaurants in Bahia Salinas that cater to the kiteboarders.
Most people do not rent a car, instead they take a cab for $80 from the airport to main area.

I have not heard of anyone kiting in Riu, I am not sure the wind goes that far south.
Thanks, i will look into the kitehouse again!

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:31 pm

here's others to look at.

http://site.kiteincostarica.com/ - this is where I will stay next time
http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/ - I stayed here, It may the one that you are looking for as all food must be bought from their restaurant.

Restaurants:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Restaura ... 0407451296
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plaza-Co ... 1888937727

Miltsface
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Miltsface » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:54 pm

The wind doesn't blow that far south. I believe it blows in bahia salinas because the trades are greatly enhanced by a thermal that's gerated between lake nicaragua and the Pacific.

I recently PM'd the below to another member, so thought I'd copy here. I was in bahia salinas 2 yrs ago.

it blows very consistently, almost all the time - as in you can wake up at sunrise and go rig a 7m. Jan-feb timeframe, you'll most likely be on a 7m most days, and some days need a 5m. Dec, its more like 7m-10m. It can be inconsistent earlier than December.

There are 4 places to stay. I stayed at http://site.kiteincostarica.com/ which is run by a super nice guy named Bob. His lodging is a 2 minute walk to the beach and is the cheapest option, but pretty bare bones. studio apts that can sleep (i think) 4 people. No AC, but you don't really need it with the wind blowing day and night. The restaurant there was good.

The Kitehouse is right next to Bob's. I was there in early December and they were just getting set up, so I don't know anything about them, but it was a house that you rent a room in. http://www.kiteboardingcostarica.com/ I think also pretty inexpensive.

Blue Dream hotel is a drive from the beach, but they run a shuttle service to/from the beach and looked a little nicer. you should be able to find rates here: http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/

All three of the above have Kite operations, lessons, rentals, etc, and you can do any of the above without renting a car, but its probably not too much more to rent a car for a week than it costs just to pay for airport transfers (and its fun to cruz around the jungle and check out different areas).

If I were going back again (and I will, at some point), I would stay at eco playa resort http://www.ecoplaya.com/ and have a car to drive over to the main launch or launch at the resort. You can launch right behind this resort, but the wind will be directly onshore (not an issue if you're proficient upwind), and you'll probably be the only people kiting there. pretty reasonable rates here and way nicer accomodations than the other choices. Since it's off season for the resort, you'll probably be one of only a few guest during windy season. maybe a 10 minute drive to the main launch. You can rent gear or take lessons from the 3 operations if you want/need to. Just walk up and say hi at the beach.

Overall, if you don't want waves, this is a great place to kite. not much (almost nothing) in the way of nightlife. each hotel has a restaurant/bar, and you'll find little roadside spots to have a beer. all dirt roads in this area.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Great info! Thanks so much. :thumb:

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Miltsface wrote:The wind doesn't blow that far south. I believe it blows in bahia salinas because the trades are greatly enhanced by a thermal that's gerated between lake nicaragua and the Pacific.

I recently PM'd the below to another member, so thought I'd copy here. I was in bahia salinas 2 yrs ago.

it blows very consistently, almost all the time - as in you can wake up at sunrise and go rig a 7m. Jan-feb timeframe, you'll most likely be on a 7m most days, and some days need a 5m. Dec, its more like 7m-10m. It can be inconsistent earlier than December.

There are 4 places to stay. I stayed at http://site.kiteincostarica.com/ which is run by a super nice guy named Bob. His lodging is a 2 minute walk to the beach and is the cheapest option, but pretty bare bones. studio apts that can sleep (i think) 4 people. No AC, but you don't really need it with the wind blowing day and night. The restaurant there was good.

The Kitehouse is right next to Bob's. I was there in early December and they were just getting set up, so I don't know anything about them, but it was a house that you rent a room in. http://www.kiteboardingcostarica.com/ I think also pretty inexpensive.

Blue Dream hotel is a drive from the beach, but they run a shuttle service to/from the beach and looked a little nicer. you should be able to find rates here: http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/

All three of the above have Kite operations, lessons, rentals, etc, and you can do any of the above without renting a car, but its probably not too much more to rent a car for a week than it costs just to pay for airport transfers (and its fun to cruz around the jungle and check out different areas).

If I were going back again (and I will, at some point), I would stay at eco playa resort http://www.ecoplaya.com/ and have a car to drive over to the main launch or launch at the resort. You can launch right behind this resort, but the wind will be directly onshore (not an issue if you're proficient upwind), and you'll probably be the only people kiting there. pretty reasonable rates here and way nicer accomodations than the other choices. Since it's off season for the resort, you'll probably be one of only a few guest during windy season. maybe a 10 minute drive to the main launch. You can rent gear or take lessons from the 3 operations if you want/need to. Just walk up and say hi at the beach.

Overall, if you don't want waves, this is a great place to kite. not much (almost nothing) in the way of nightlife. each hotel has a restaurant/bar, and you'll find little roadside spots to have a beer. all dirt roads in this area.
This info is good, I'd add the following from personal experience, I was there in Feb 2013.
Bob and also the guys at Kitehouse have rental villas, we rented from the latter..... great house overlooking the beach with a pool. Unless the ecoplaya has been renovated since 2/13 then avoid, it was pretty shabby looking. Take booties and small kites, I rode a 9 every day except 1 when I used my 7 (180lbs). Have fun..... I had a great time and would go back.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Whats the predominate wind direction for Salinas? I couldn't find it in the archives.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:43 am

Wind is East.

And yes, there are some villas right at the beach that Bob can arrange for you. Those would be a good option.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:09 am

The wind gets funneled at Bahina Salinas so best to go there. If you are going by yourself then I would consider BlueDream as you will meet alot of kiters there. Food is good quality and inexpensive compared to North American rates. If your main goal is to be kiting then I wouldn't rent a car as it will be windy everyday at that time of year. I was there the first two weeks of January 2013 and rode a 6 m everyday (72 kg). You can either bring your own snacks or have your taxi driver from the airport stop in Town and pick up snacks and 'beverages'.

Return to “Kitesurfing”