Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice about Naish Ride

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Advice about Naish Ride

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

vp wrote:We use Rides for lessons at our kite school.. The kite is very light due to only having 2 struts , so even the smallest sizes will fly in light winds. This makes it great for teaching lighter people in lighter winds. I think it's an excellent beginner kite if you're under around 170 pounds.
However, the usual feedback that we get from our heavier students, and customers who demo this kite is that it doesn't have enough grunt. The 2 strut frame just doesn't have enough rigidity to deal with all the beginner inefficiencies at higher weights. It may still work well for cruising or riding waves , but i wouldn't recommend it to heavier guys starting out.
hmmm, I've been riding this and my weight varies between 205 to 190 now...and the kite is great. I am assuming it is the students and not the kite...it is not a very technical kite to fly either...

The only thing I would be hesitant recommending this kite for off the top of my head would unhooked freestyle..then the park or torch is a better alternative.

vp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm

tautologies wrote:
vp wrote:We use Rides for lessons at our kite school.. The kite is very light due to only having 2 struts , so even the smallest sizes will fly in light winds. This makes it great for teaching lighter people in lighter winds. I think it's an excellent beginner kite if you're under around 170 pounds.
However, the usual feedback that we get from our heavier students, and customers who demo this kite is that it doesn't have enough grunt. The 2 strut frame just doesn't have enough rigidity to deal with all the beginner inefficiencies at higher weights. It may still work well for cruising or riding waves , but i wouldn't recommend it to heavier guys starting out.
hmmm, I've been riding this and my weight varies between 205 to 190 now...and the kite is great. I am assuming it is the students and not the kite...it is not a very technical kite to fly either...

The only thing I would be hesitant recommending this kite for off the top of my head would unhooked freestyle..then the park or torch is a better alternative.
it is absolutely the students and not the kite.. when people are learning , they are not as efficient as experienced kiteboarders like yourself. We find that kites with more grunt (like Park) tend to work better for heavier beginners.

Kilion
Rare Poster
Gear: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kilion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:14 pm

That is a different opinion, that I appreciate because don't want to spend money at the wrong kites for me. :nono:

More opinions from anyone with a weight similar to mine?

And if not the Ride should I think about the Park or...?

Thanks again!

Kilion
Rare Poster

Postby Kilion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:05 pm

From this review the Park is not recommended for beginners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hryrB7BzgU

I getting confused... :help:

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards

Postby mdksniper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Kilion wrote:That is a different opinion, that I appreciate because don't want to spend money at the wrong kites for me. :nono:

More opinions from anyone with a weight similar to mine?

And if not the Ride should I think about the Park or...?

Thanks again!

210 pounds here. I love my Rides. I consider myself a novice.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:00 am

Kilion wrote:From this review the Park is not recommended for beginners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hryrB7BzgU

I getting confused... :help:
That's because the Park turns really fast without a lot of input to the bar. So if you are just starting out, it will be a bit harder to control. You would adapt to it eventually but you might struggle at first. Kind of like driving a sports car instead of a truck.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 am

Either of the kites will work well. Park has a little more power in the turns, and ride feels a bit lighter.

The video you showed was from an older model. Right now the newer models are both fantastic.
The Ride works well for your weight..I am your weight and so are three of my buddies who are on the ride. Like any other kite. Pump them up well and they will be awesome. I think the ride is an "easier" kite to control..now that does not mean that the park is hard to control...it simply means the ride is slightly easier.

Here is how I see it for a beginner: If you are going to be riding in ultragusty conditions, then go for the park. The canopy is a bit tighter and the kite handles gusty wind o par with the bolt...which is insane IMO.

If you are kitelooping like a madman then clearly the park is a better choice, but I doubt that is your plan out of the box. :-)

If you are riding in relatively steady winds...then go for the ride. It is easier to control and the power is more sheet and go (where the park likes a bit more movement).
If you want an easy to use kite that just works..then go with the ride.

Now I don't teach kiting, and so maybe going with what an instructor says might be a good idea. If you get the new park or ride I doubt you'll be disappointed regardless of what choice you make. They are both great kites. I mainly use them for wave riding and love every bit of time on them.

I have a mixed quiver and like both kites. I am 190lb. I have big sized draft, medium ride and small size park.

Kilion
Rare Poster

Postby Kilion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks again for all the help!

I was checking other possibilities and the Slingshot Rally (2013 or 2014) looks like a very good beginner kite.

Maybe better than the Naish kites for me? :?: :?:

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:22 am

tautologies wrote:... If you are going to be riding in ultragusty conditions, then go for the park. The canopy is a bit tighter and the kite handles gusty wind o par with the bolt...which is insane IMO...
ahhh - the Bolt! Was out on Tuesday in 25, gusting 30+ with a 10.5 and love that thing. Once dialed in this genius kite still rocks.

Well, a few words for the novice. Yes, any other beginner model of any other brand will work for you. As beginner we suck and the only feature you need (and demand) from a beginner kite is pull (aka grunt). Stop telling yourself what you all want to do. Got news for you: For one season you ain't doing nothing but water start, learning transitions and going upwind. That's it. And most of you will drop out anyways :lol:
You will sell of your first gear anyway or keep it as a backup. Yes, it is exciting to talk and consider all features new gear has, but the watery truth is, you only need ONE feature, and ONE feature only: Grunt (and a bit easy handling) - That's all

peace

Kilion
Rare Poster

Postby Kilion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Dr Makani wrote: For one season you ain't doing nothing but water start, learning transitions and going upwind. That's it.
I believe you, just want to do thoses things in that one season the easiest way with as little problems as possible...

Being a heavier beginner rider seems to make most of the reviews about kites on the net not aplicable. :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”