Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any beach cart ideas for tons of equipment?

Forum for kitesurfers
JS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Any beach cart ideas for tons of equipment?

Postby JS » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 pm

It's important to keep the tire pressures low*, like a few pounds per square inch.

*Air pressure inside a tire is the same as the pressure between the tire and surface it's rolling on (approximately; small adjustment for tire pliability). The area of the flat contact patch between the tire and surface is the total weight riding on that tire divided by it's internal pressure. For example, the contact patch of a tire inflated to 2.5 psi, with 50 pounds riding on it, is 20 square inches. The key to rolling over sand instead of ploughing through it is to keep the pressure low enough (and contact patch large enough) to avoid disturbing the sand. Unfortunately, "solid" plastic or rubber wheels, even if large, don't work properly because they don't deform to create a flat, low pressure contact patch. So they disturb the sand and tend to plough.

Cheers,
James

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm

During my early windsurfing days, I built a trailer to haul my gear behind my bike.

I used very light, thin-walled plastic pipe and fittings intended for built-in residential vacuum systems, an aluminum axle, a rubber windsurfer universal-joint for a trailer hitch, and bicycle wheels. If I didn't use it mainly on streets, I could have used balloon beach tires instead.

It took a few hours to build, was very light, and lasted for years.

kimeza
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Sherman Island
South Padre Island
Style: Holding on for dear life
Gear: North Rebel 7, 9 ,12 and a Dyno 15 when I'm desperate. I think a Neo quiver is in my future.
Been thanked: 0

Postby kimeza » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Wow wish I knew that. I used the purple primer only on one side. Next time things will be easier with that advice. :thumb:

kimeza
Rare Poster
Sherman Island
South Padre Island
Gear: North Rebel 7, 9 ,12 and a Dyno 15 when I'm desperate. I think a Neo quiver is in my future.

Postby kimeza » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:32 pm

JS wrote:If I didn't use it mainly on streets, I could have used balloon beach tires instead.

It took a few hours to build, was very light, and lasted for years.
These tires are down to 5 lbs. from the store and can go lower for more flotation. Hopefully they will balloon flat if I let more pressure out. If interested I'll post some pics on the sand with various tire pressures.

The internet sources I've tried want $40 - $60 each for the proper tires. Too much on my budget.

kimeza
Rare Poster
Sherman Island
South Padre Island

Postby kimeza » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 am

I replaced the insulation with large pool noodles with an inner diameter of 3/4" perfect for the board holders on the side. I plan to hold 2 more kites and a directional.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

pebbles
Frequent Poster

Postby pebbles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 am

I have a folding kayak cart. I attached some line on the axles and an old cleat to secure the yak. I like to use it when the wife takes her SUP. I made a handle from some leader-line and some hose at the leash plug. I can put her chair and all my kite stuff on it with a bungie and tow it through sand. The only thing that would make it better would be Roll-Eez wheels, those float over everything.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:51 pm

looks good dude, hope it works well. I would put the tow point on the axle. Two points spread out close to where axle goes through pvc shaft. I think that would be your strongest placement. If you get into some deep sand or hit some incline you are going to have to really pull hard.

kimeza
Rare Poster
Sherman Island
South Padre Island

Postby kimeza » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 am

Update:

1) having trouble with turning. Got to lift the front end up to turn when on cement or asphalt. I'm gonna add some type of steering.

2) it's just a little hard pulling through sand. I think one more pair of tires towards the rear to not effect steering should do the trick.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 am

What modz do they need to do on a golf cart?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:12 pm

flipper231 wrote:What modz do they need to do on a golf cart?
Ive tried this with a few inexpensive golf carts, they work great provided you do not over load them, I've taken off the curved black plastic holders for the golf bag and replaced it with a thin plywood platform with a foot on the bottom so things do not slide off and then just bungee the stuff in place.

Warning these will not carry as much weight as you hope. one board, kite, wetsuit, harness and lunch is about all you will get and if the terrain is really bumpy the wheels may splay out rendering the whole thing useless. Personally I think it just as easy to carry the stuff rather then cart it about for the amount it can hold.

Return to “Kitesurfing”