Ozone Chrono 9, 15
Flysurfer Peak 9
Ozone Summit 10, 12
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Two kite boards stolen off beach - Kite Point, OBX, 10/20

Postby offshoreandy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Sad day down here in OBX, two of my boards were lifted off the beach while we were packing up Sunday, 10/20. A 2013 North Team Series (twin tip, black, green fins, Vario straps, orange rails with green striped bottom) and 2012 Slingshot Pit 5'11" directional (bamboo wood with black rails, slingshot fins, strapless footpads) were picked from the beach while we were packing up and walking things to our cars on the road.

The setup for the situation was pretty simple, only two groups of kiters were left at the end of the day: our group and another group of three. Two of our group were walking gear to our cars, and me and a friend were packing our kites on the beach. The other group of three (two guys, one girl) drove a white VW onto the beach to pack their gear. The plates were Quebec, and from conversing with them on the beach, landing their kites, they seemed like standard French Canadian kiters down to enjoy the Hatteras sound.

My friend and I hopped over to the ocean side, leaving our packed up kites and boards in our pile on the beach for 10 minutes to watch a foil boarder do his thing on the ocean. He'd come in, so we chatted a bit before returning to finish packing. When we returned and packed the rest of the gear, I grabbed the last board I saw on the beach, my wakeskate. The white Quebec VW was gone. I didn't think much of it, as we had multiple people grabbing gear.

But after finishing packing I did a gear check, and discovered my two boards missing. Giving it the benefit of the doubt for an unintentional pickup, I waited a day, called local shops, etc. By the end of Monday, however, nothing had turned up, so I filed a report with park rangers/police. Given the circumstances, we are fairly confident in saying we are looking for the White VW GTI/hatchback with Quebec plates to ask about the boards. If anyone is town this week or sees such boards up or floating around, I'd greatly appreciate a shout out. Park police gave me a number to call if we (or anyone) sees the White VW with three people: two white, fit males with short brown hair, and one white nondescript slim female.
Here is park police number: 252-473-3444

Please reply to this post with any info, PM me, or call the humber above if you see such a car, my boards, all of the above, etc. This might not be the most proper venue for posting about such incidents, but the locals here seriously do not like when boards get lifted, so we're hoping to track them down and rectify the situation.

Thanks, shootout to Real, Kitty Hawk Kites, and Jay Crawford of Outer Banks Kiting for putting up alerts locally.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Two kite boards stolen off beach - Kite Point, OBX, 10/2

Postby matth » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 pm

That sucks big time. Why not post it here? we are the kiting community.
They would have to be very cocky and stupid to pull that off. White VW , quebec plates, on an island with few places to hide , only a few ways on and off. No chance some little punks were on foot or pulled up unnoticed? Maybe they will stop by here in Mass(the other cape) on the way home. I will keep my eyes open.

Good luck

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot
Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca

Postby DenisLaMenace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 pm

I posted your message on kiteforum.ca which is the french canadian kitesurf forum

http://www.kiteforum.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8865

It may help to resolve the situation

good luck

Frankykite
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel

Postby Frankykite » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:31 pm

[quote="Frankykite"]You should look at this one:
Last edited by windybrit on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 pm

windybrit wrote:
Frankykite wrote:You should look at this one:

http://kiteforum.ca/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8880
The guy has posted a photo of the serial number of the board on the ad...... I think you can surmise that he's legit (that or indescribably stupid!)
Quebec is a distinct society don't you know....

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:36 am

I feel like I saw a white VW hatchback on my way down to KHK yesterday. I wish I had seen this post earlier. I thought I saw them heading North over the New Inlet bridge. Hopefully they stick around a few days and we can help you find those boards. This kind thing sucks to happen here. Several boards got jacked this season at Jockeys.

Lost
Medium Poster

Postby Lost » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Did you get any leads on this from the Canadian side? I bet there are not too many white Golf GTI with Quebec plates loaded with kiteboarders ...

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:36 pm

offshoreandy,
I am sorry about what happened. I will talk to the Park Rangers here on the Outer Banks and let them know if they hear anything to get in touch with me since we know each other.
Also you should post something on this FACEBOOK page called: "OBX KITEBOARDING". This is the link: www.facebook.com/groups/283126358445253/
Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”