Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Keeping your car clean

Postby rightguard » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm

So I'm buying a new car instead of a truck and I'm worried about keeping it clean inside with all the sand and wet gear... Anyone have some fun ideas to keep your car clean?

Does anyone use those roof boxes for kite gear? Seems good but they would be hot for kites.

Any cool ideas for showers in a car? Lots of people over here have the black PVC pipe on the roof to use for a shower but you don't want that on a car.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Keeping your car clean

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm absolutely loving my double cab ute with canopy. stick all the sandy sticky stuff in the back and keep the cabin clean.

I have no idea why you would want to go back to a car?
P1050734.jpg

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Gas mileage?

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm

i have no problem with sand much. if it accumulates beyond tolerable level there are always numerous gas stations vacuum cleaners available for a 1€ for a loong loong loong time to thorough clean your whole car along with your roof box and/or your trailer.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:49 pm

rightguard wrote:So I'm buying a new car instead of a truck and I'm worried about keeping it clean inside with all the sand and wet gear... Anyone have some fun ideas to keep your car clean?

Does anyone use those roof boxes for kite gear? Seems good but they would be hot for kites.

Any cool ideas for showers in a car? Lots of people over here have the black PVC pipe on the roof to use for a shower but you don't want that on a car.

I have an Xb and they have a cover in the back that keeps sand on top of shit. That car is not ideal to go all the way out at Naish beach tho but it does work...I had over a few times while the superferry was still running.

I dunno about the shower stuff.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:09 pm

I use the Audi snowboard clamp rack for my twin tips on my Q5 and strap my sector to the top of it. Plenty of space for all my gear without putting the rear seats down and the sand lands in the tray. It works great!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

markchatwin wrote:Gas mileage?
diesel 8.8L/100km

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:34 pm

I use 3 plastic bins for all my gear( excluding boards). 2 kites each in two bins, and the third bin has all my water wear, booties helmets , etc. When I come off the water I remove the remaining kite from bin and use that for all my wet/sandy gear. When I get home wet bin gets dumped and dried, kites go back in and put up on shelve. Next day when all gear is dry I reload my waterwear bin and I am locked and loaded for my next session. Its great having a system . I can shoot home and grab my gear in two seconds knowing everything is their and not worrying about forgetting anything.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Yep wet gear bucket.

Boards in covers if put in the car.

Brush to quickly brush down kite bags, feet before getting in.

Don't have kids or a dog and if you do don't take them to the beach with you kiting, or ignore all the above and just deal with a car you will have to vacuum every weekend!! :angryfire:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:09 pm

I keep one of the wife's old yoga mats in the van and use it to catch all the sand and salt water. But since I have a van it's floor is flat so that makes it simple to pull the mat out without spilling sand.

Return to “Kitesurfing”