Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switched to 128x38 Raical S. This is a lot of...

Forum for all hooked tricks
Imba
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Boracay
Style: Air
Gear: F-one 10m, Cabrinha Switchblade 14m, Cabrinha X-Bow 16m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switched to 128x38 Raical S. This is a lot of...

Postby Imba » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Iknow this post wont bring any new info for those who already riding on small borads & particurary "Radicals".... but for thos who areintheproccss of gathering inforamtionabout Airstyle i can add my two cents.

From the previous year when i was riding th whole"Boracay" season on a 138x42 FUTURE KITING boards i recently & finnaly switched to a 128x38 2011 S Raical.

This is a small change in the "area projection", but this is a dramatical change riding-wise.
Toay we had an first session of win on Boracay and right from the starts the season jumped onto steay all-day-long 18-25knots. It not a hurricane, but most of the people rided 7-11m during the whole day.

I was the only one who was on a 14m Switchblade. And to be honest i think nothing woulnt happen with me even if i rided on my 16m instead.

The amount of power which i can control with a help of a small boar is very very intriguing.
An if previusly (on a big board) i ene up any 1-2hour session (on same winds) being completely tired in the legs area. Well, no i feel zero "aftermath" of being overpowered an just a small "weakness" in hans because it was just a first session in 6 months.

But yeah, its really a huge difference when you switch to a "proper" size of the boar.

bb

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Re: Switched to 128x38 Raical S. This is a lot of...

Postby Macisback » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:42 pm

I am so looking forward to try my ones hearing this!

I bought 2 pieces, just to make sure they last a few years until there are specific Airstyle boards out on the market.

I did the same with North bars (bought 4 bars and microloop sets...) and with Flysurfer straps and rails...

Im fine for 3-4 years - then I need an Airstyle manufacturer...!!!

Imba
Medium Poster

Postby Imba » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Macisback wrote:I am so looking forward to try my ones hearing this!

I bought 2 pieces, just to make sure they last a few years until there are specific Airstyle boards out on the market.

I did the same with North bars (bought 4 bars and microloop sets...) and with Flysurfer straps and rails...

Im fine for 3-4 years - then I need an Airstyle manufacturer...!!!

Well, boards\pads never been an issue here. There is plenty of fine pads on the market.
126-128cm long boards are not so common, but, Cabrinha have ("Chronix" boards) and Flysurfers keeps manufacturing 126,5x36 Radical S (2013). Plus im sure there are some other manufacturers.

The main issue here is bars\ML\high-aspect kites... combos.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 pm

128x38 2011 S Raical.

I've been on this board for 2y now

20kns in my 16m @ 80k is not a problem.

I just had my new 15m edge out in 23-25 last weekend what a great air style session.

BTW Ozone Edge with North Micro Loop conversation is the kite for air style!!!!!

Harness also makes a BIG difference.

T

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:08 pm

yes, a smaller boards makes a big difference in controlling the power of a bigger kite.
And better for bigger jumps as well, since the small board is easier to pop hard into the water for more resistance.

And of course, easier to handle in the air when taking it off.

Macisback: I hear you...have the same on stock...hoping for a supplier in the near future though to produce what we need. and we are not alone out there...more and more getting to love Airstyle and enjoy their sessions with flying ;-)

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:45 pm

As toby said the board is small and easy to handle in the air. I thought at first it was to heavy (Toby informed me I was a pussy). I tried a lighter board and found that the lighter board just flys away “mid trick” so the weight is perfect too.

I have two bars and two loops lol. I might buy another loop :) and north chicken loop.

For me the Chicken loop and Miro loop is the important part (most bars can be drilled)

T

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 pm

@ Toby: I wrote to Flysurfer and North

Flysurfer responded that they will come back if they need anymore info.
Nothing from North yet.
Havent contacted Naish yet.

Well, I really start liking the idea of an Airstyle startup with crowd funding.
I guess every Airstyler would pay 50-500 Euros. If you need 150k for the start thats with 200 Euros average 750 Kitesurfers. Should be doable within 6 month, no?

Of course I love the idea of putting an investor on the case...:-)

I heard from my Swiss friend Daniel in Mauritius Airstyle is getting bigger now (even there they have magic waves @ one eye)

@ s1buell: What harness are you using? I am using an Ion B2 (pants, low hip) and am thinking of trying an Ion Apex (even though my experience with waist harnesses in kitesurfing and windsurfing are...well...a bit uncool to say it in a nice way) I bought the complete bars, because at 240 Euros it is a cheap sparepart collection too - way cheaper than buying all parts seperate)

Well, this hoarding behaviour (4 bars & miniloops, 2 boards and straps, 3 kites...) when shopping Airstyle has its price. If you are not careful for a new setup from scratch you end up somewhere between 5-10k....

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 am

Macisback wrote:Well, this hoarding behaviour (4 bars & miniloops, 2 boards and straps, 3 kites...) when shopping Airstyle has its price. If you are not careful for a new setup from scratch you end up somewhere between 5-10k....
Is that all :naughty:

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:14 am

I'm using the OR 2 because I can not get the Pat love. Its not bad I really like the leg straps (legs are 100% free) and no matter how powered I get I never have half the harness up my ass :thumb:

It would be better if it had a quick release on the spreader bar but what can you do.

cheers

Imba
Medium Poster

Postby Imba » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 am

s1buell_wl wrote: I just had my new 15m edge out in 23-25 last weekend what a great air style session.
BTW Ozone Edge with North Micro Loop conversation is the kite for air style!!!!!

Yep. Seems like a lot of "airstylers" will move onto EDGEs on the next 1-2-3 season.
The reason is simple. Seems like nowadays its the kite with highest aspect & its kinda can be bought on any continent. North DYNO 2011 was a nice thing... but its not produced anymore.

Btw, did you just drill the original EDGE bar? Or how did you implement microloop?

Return to “Airstyle”