wakestyle jumping

Forum for kitesurfers
kiterdude
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiterdude » Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:52 am

Yesterday I tryed my new airush wakestyle 141.....AWESOME board. The only thing is I have to get used to the wakestyle jumping way. Before the airush I surfed with a starboard 5'10 directional with big fins.

When I want to jump with my 141 in overpowered conditions with my ARX 17,5...I have troubles! When I move my kite upwards I already loose the grip with my board on the water....so I don't have maximum edge, sometimes I just slide over the water and my jump is like....4cm instead of the 4m I was used to :-0..do you guys have any suggestions....I would appreciate it

Mahalo!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:34 am

Learn to jump wakestyle when you can't hold your edge. Don't reverse the kite, just pop and release your edge. You will boost high.

In wakeboarding it's called progressive edging.

You can only hold your edge for one second under huge power with a small board. So the trick is to just set your edge for one second and BOOST big. It's most effective when done unhooked. You pull the bar down and stomp the edge at the same time, then spring upwards and jump. It's like being bungee shot upwards.

kiterdude
Medium Poster

Postby kiterdude » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:37 pm

What do you mean with do not reverse the kite....just jump when really overpowered and don't steer the kite?...how do you get lift then..?

A friend of mine just gave me a tip, he sayed that I should hold the kite lower than with my directional. Yesterday I mentioned that I was able to edge really hard when I had my kite i a lower position ( like in the middle of 12 o'clock and the water) He said if you want to jump, just steer the kite really slowly upwards...still hold edge..and than the last moment steer the kite to jump.

Do you think this is a good way to jump?

Mahalo

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:11 pm

You will have to RIDE with the kite lower than on a directional, but the jumping is the same. The kite still needs to be in the same place in the sky when you reverse it.

There are so many factors in play here that add up to the problems you’re having. I’ll talk about them all, and then you’ll have figure which ones will fix the problem for you.

Big kites simply overpower tiny boards. You reach a point where the surface area, or board water line length, doesn’t provide enough resistance against the kite. It gets really bad with 20 meter kites. You get dragged downwind quicker and you can’t fight the kite well enough to jump well.

Sometimes reducing the kite pull (depower more) and riding faster, will help keep the BOARD from becoming overpowered. It also makes the kite whip fast enough to reduce the time you need to hold your edge, in that one second before lift off.

You may not have good TT edging skills yet. Even if you do, you’ll probably get better with it.

Learning to jump without reversing the kite is an important wake/TT skill. With the kite about 11 o’clock in the sky and super powered, you can jump really high and have insane hang time from a simple progressive edge pop. Try it, you will be shocked at how high you go. It only works when super powered. When I can’t hold my edge to jump, I always switch to this style of jumping. I go even higher and hang twice as long as any other way of jumping. If the kite is too high you won’t be able to get good edge pop. If the kite is too low, it will be a really flashy and fast jump. When the kite is in the right spot, it will be a bungee shot to the moon. I typically have to head a little down wind to get unhooked, then I quickly stomp my heel side edge and pull the bar down hard, then spring upwards with me legs. Swing the legs back into a railey. You will swing under the kite harder with this style jump, so be prepared to bring the kite forward hard on landing.

kiterdude
Medium Poster

Postby kiterdude » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:41 pm

Louis Cypher
Medium Poster

Postby Louis Cypher » Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:58 pm

Hi Dwight,

do you change driving- direction while stomping the edge? Where does the pop come from? I tried it while Wakeboarding and can't find the right way to jump higher than 0.5m! I just tried to increase tension on the handle and jump off. But it doesn't work really.

Thanks for your advice,

Louis

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:26 pm

Image a snowboard backside turn in powder, with a push-off...
I guess it is something different in the cable park, since the pull is so much more forward than on a high kite. More scary, in particular (I saw some crashed raileys - ouch!)

kiterdude
Medium Poster

Postby kiterdude » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:35 pm

Hey Dwight!

Thanks for the advice! I am really going to try that overpowerd.. pop.. jump. But..I actually never tryed to kitesurf unhooked. With my ARX 17,5 in like 17 knots this looks like a challenge...

And for the rest...it was the first day I surfed on a wakestyle board and so I am sure the next days I will improve my way of jumping.

Thanks!

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:55 pm

On 2002-08-14 14:58, Louis Cypher wrote:
Hi Dwight,

do you change driving- direction while stomping the edge? Where does the pop come from? I tried it while Wakeboarding and can't find the right way to jump higher than 0.5m! I just tried to increase tension on the handle and jump off. But it doesn't work really.

Thanks for your advice,

Louis
Louis,

It's easier on a kite than in a cable park.

In a cable park you have to load up the board hard by changing direction. It kind of feels like cranking upwind hard and fast and stomping the back foot. It adds a little whip to the feeling you get. I've only been to a cable park once, so I'm no expert. There are only 3 cable parks in the entire US.

On a kite it's not real critical to get it perfect. Almost any amount of good edge stomp with be enough to help boost you. Of course good cable park techniques can really add to the height, especially in light wind.

I was doing this just last night. I was riding my 22.5 Rhino and doing raileys. With the kite low, say around 10 o'clock and the kite pulling like a tractor, I would crank on the board hard upwind and stomp the back foot real hard (This is all one really fast and quick motion). It would send me flying into a wicked twisted railey.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:50 pm

just learn to time the jump.
get speed, have a little grip, then turn the kite hard and then push the backtail of the board hard into the water like you want to stop the kites pull and you will feel the lift.

Good luck and let us if it worked!

Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”