Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Vector, Custom
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Directional Advice

Postby donohu90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 pm

I know this threads been done a bunch of times, but I don't really feel any more knowledgeable than I did before, so... I really don't have much experience surfing. Once I learned to kiteboard surfing became less appealing. We really haven't had many good pure surfing days lately here (Ocean City, NJ) anyway.

I'm looking to get my first surfboard. I'm 6'0" ~195lbs. I ride almost exclusively in the ocean (on a TT now). The waves here are generally waist to shoulder, on shore or cross on shore. They occasionally get bigger or smaller. Our winds generally are between 15-30mph when it's kiteable. Plenty of summer days when it hovers at or below 15 mph just to tease the shit out of you.

I would like something that would let me have fun in the waves, with option of strapped or strapless as well as give me some more light wind ability. I also like to jump, because it's awesome.

Anyway, any thoughts on what I should consider, look for?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: First Directional Advice

Postby NYKiter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Surfing is way more fun than kiting! :cool2:

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon

Postby MACTNKA » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:44 am

I wish i knew that before, but speaking with a pro kitesurfer this summer it became clear that the only brand that has it all including enough rigidity for kitesirfing is "Jimmy Lewis". According to him a kitesurf champion any other board will break and you dont have to be a pro to find it out. Your best bet will be to learn from the best:) You are welcome!

Dwnwndr
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: OCNJ, OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Fone Fish, Signature

Postby Dwnwndr » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:17 am

Ocean City, NJ is were I kite. I live just inland. We have more guys who kitesurf here than anything else and are more than happy to give advise. Personally I have two boards both are F-One. I like the 5'10 Fish for light wind and the usually smaller waves we get in the summer. It also goes upwind real well for KIP. For high wind and larger waves, and downwinders I use the Signature Quad, lots of rocker and turners on a dime. Both are very well made and can be ridden strapped or strapless. Hope to see you in the surf bro good to hear from a homie on here. Cheers!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:17 am

Dwnwndr wrote:snip...

It also goes upwind real well for KIP.

snip...
What is KIP ?

(Kitesurfers In Progress ?)

8) Peter

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Slingshot Celeritas would definitely be a good option. Nice turning, for flat water or waves up to about head high, very early planing and tough. Lots of info about it here and elsewhere.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:56 pm

the best advice i was given was to find a cheap,beater used surf board about 20 inches wide and just go ride a lot. you will destroy your first couple of boards and have no idea what shape you will end up liking so get 3 or 4 cheap used boards and ride/break them until you can feel a difference in them. then spend so money on a better ride. straps/no straps won't matter much in the begging, you will want to learn both.

donohu90
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Vector, Custom

Postby donohu90 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Dwnwndr wrote:Ocean City, NJ is were I kite. I live just inland. We have more guys who kitesurf here than anything else and are more than happy to give advise. Personally I have two boards both are F-One. I like the 5'10 Fish for light wind and the usually smaller waves we get in the summer. It also goes upwind real well for KIP. For high wind and larger waves, and downwinders I use the Signature Quad, lots of rocker and turners on a dime. Both are very well made and can be ridden strapped or strapless. Hope to see you in the surf bro good to hear from a homie on here. Cheers!
I'm sure we've met then. Is your car's license plate DWNWDR or something like that? My first names Sean. I fly Cabrinha kites

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm

knotwindy wrote:the best advice i was given was to find a cheap,beater used surf board about 20 inches wide and just go ride a lot. you will destroy your first couple of boards and have no idea what shape you will end up liking so get 3 or 4 cheap used boards and ride/break them until you can feel a difference in them. then spend so money on a better ride. straps/no straps won't matter much in the begging, you will want to learn both.
:thumb:

Dwnwndr
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: OCNJ, OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Fone Fish, Signature

Postby Dwnwndr » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:14 am

Hi Sean yes thats me. Met you at 59th street. I have the black F150.

Return to “Kitesurfing”