Forum for kitesurfers
genek
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cheap housing for Nov. in South Padre Island, Texas

Postby genek » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm planning a 3-4 week trip to SPI at the beginning of November. I'm currently considering camping, but would definitely prefer to have a roof over my head. Only problem is that any vacation rentals are way too expensive at over $1000. I have an inflatable mattress so don't really need much besides a place to plop it down. If anyone knows of someone with a bit of extra space that they'd like to rent out in November I'd really appreciate it. It can be in Port Isabel or somewhere else near SPI as well.

Thanks a lot! Any info is much appreciated.

Kitebdr1962
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne, Fla..
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Beach, Fla...OBX....Gorge...
Style: Wave..Kitesurfing
Gear: Ozone..(Reo)...Crazy-Fly..(Sclup)...Blade..(Trigger)...Nobile..(T5)

Nobile NHP..134 x 42
Litewave Surfbd..5'7"

Postby Kitebdr1962 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:35 am

Hey Bro...When you get there, or even before you leave, call or e-mail the guys at South Padre Island Kiteboarding....If Cliff is still there working, or even if Brenda is around, they would be more than happy to help in someway, just ask, nothing to lose....If they can help, they will, if not, they will turn you onto someone who can...These Guys have been around since the turn of time, and they have a lot of info/contacts...Good Luck, and have fun, one way or another...Tell them that I said Hi...A.J.Morgan, Kitetricity Kiteboarding, Melbourne, Fla....See them in May 2008...

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 am

Gene - Howard Johnson ran around 35 a night when I was there that time of year. You could probably pay as little as 20 a night of you go to the Econo lodge.

Should be plenty of availability that time, just show up no need for reservations.

Be warned though you can get the mega skunkage in the fall, its happened to me on a couple trips. It can also be windy everyday for weeks.

genek
Rare Poster

Postby genek » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out SPI kiteboarding and can always rent a hotel room for part of it if I need to.

Yeah, I hear ya on the skunkage, but this is a La Nina winter right? That means lots of fronts should be passing through and nuking all the time :thumb:. It's been pretty windy 5 out of 7 days the past week so let's hope it keeps up. I guess I'm hoping that I'll be there long enough to get wind at some point. Otherwise I'll just hit the cable park as Forrest recommended. If you guys have some vacation saved up you should come hit it when the forecast looks good for the upcoming week.

Now I just need to decide whether to waste time driving or deal with hauling kite gear and camping gear on an airplane and renting a car...Leaning towards driving at the moment.

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:54 pm

I'll be making the drive on Nov 1 from SF Bay area. Its 2000 miles but easy driving.
Got a condo http://www.condospi.com and I would rent you a room, but Im booked for the month.

Just talked to a buddy down there and he said it's been great for the last week.
We also had good luck last year for the month of Nov (rode ~3/4 of the time).

genek
Rare Poster

Postby genek » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Right on! I'll probably see you out there then. Are you Spork by any chance (someone from centexkiteboarding mentioned that name)? If I drive I would actually drop by SF on the way and was probably going to head out from SF on Nov. 1st as well. Let me know if you'd like to caravan (if it makes sense to do). Not sure how much we'd gain by that, but at least we could have a beer at night. Where were you thinking of stopping on the way (or do you have someone to run shifts with)? I was debating camping somewhere near El Paso maybe (if I also drop by LA to visit some friends).

Let's hope the wind holds up. I heard it just got good last week.

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Ive sent you a PM.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: Cheap housing for Nov. in South Padre Island, Texas

Postby matthepp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 pm

I know it's an old post, but the title is accurate. Family of 4 looking to head down for Thanksgiving Week from SW Colorado. We can swallow the gas bullet and drive down the comfy camper van, but would love to zip down in the Prius instead. Tenting appears bleak, especially with a 4 month old...
We have a nice studio apartment at our house in Ridgway, 45 minutes to Telluride, Red Mountain Pass, and great high country snowkiting. Anyone have a place in SPI and want to trade stays?
Cheers,
Matt Hepp

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re:

Postby Bille » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:36 pm

Dax wrote: ...

Be warned though you can get the mega skunkage in the fall, its happened to me on a couple trips. It can also be windy everyday for weeks.
WHEN is your Best season down there ?

Bille

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Re:

Postby TheJoe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Bille wrote:
Dax wrote: ...

WHEN is your Best season down there ?

Bille
Spring time for Texas coast. March-June Is normally the best months. Best locations in order are Corpus, SPI, then Houston/Galveston.

Return to “Kitesurfing”