Favorite Beaches: None yet
Style: Cruising is my aim
Gear: Naish Ride 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite size?

Postby nph » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 am

I am looking at my first kite and a found a great deal on a 10m 2013 Naish Ride that I ordered.
Now in hindsight I am thinking if I should have gone for the 12m version since I weigh about 185 lbs.
Should I ask them to change? This would be my "go to" kite once I get to the water next year after some lessons. Given the closeout prices on the 2013 I thought it was better to buy a kite now for next season. I live in Dallas and plan to fly in the Houston area on the water and eventually on the lakes in Dallas so wind would not be too much above 17mph most days
But would a bigger board compensate for a 10m instead of a 12m or should I just switch to the 12m and be done with it?

Another question I have is for training with Depower when I will fly inland over winter and maybe even on snow can I use my bar that I will get with this kite, Naish Universal Bar, for another kite?
I am looking at buying a smaller kite 5.5 (with no bar) or 6m with bar to get the ropes of flying a LEI and the whole de-power thing. Currently there are some great closeouts and I can get a Best TS/Kahoona 5.5 with no bar for $330 or a Liquid Force 2007 Assualt 6m with bar for $550. That way I have a cheap trainer kite that should limit the number of lessons once I get to the water and also I don't have to worry if I break it given the close out price. There is also a Slingshot RPM 2012 or a 2010 Slingshot Key HD 7m and both comes with Bar and lines for roughly same price, $550.
Which one (with or without a bar) would you recommend?

This will be my trainer kite and come spring I will take lessons and my Naish ride will be my goto kite for getting into the water. (Hence I don't want to use it on land for training)
Some say you can use any bar with any kite and others say you should stick with the Bar that comes with the kite. So which is the best way to go and which trainer kite would you recommend?

Appreciate any advice from you experienced guys and since these are closelouts I need to decide fast so quick response would be great!

Thanks

Peter

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Re: Kite size?

Postby William Munney » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:49 am

1. A 5.5 or 6 meter kite is not suitable as a trainer kite. Trainer kites are typically about 3 meters and that's enough to yank you pretty good while you're learning.

2. Wait until after your lessons to buy gear. There will still be deals available and you will have a better idea of what you need.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:45 am

Very easy answer - save the money you would have spent on a small kite and get a lesson instead. Then buy a big kite. If your spot doesn't get much over 17 mph you'll probably want something more like a 14m at your weight, which would also go perfectly with the 10m you already have.

nph
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dallas TX, Houston TX.

Postby nph » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:59 am

But since I would like a small land kite (De-powered) would a 4 meter be good?
Also can I use the universal bar from Naish across multiple kites?

I don't plan to hit the water and take lessons for another 6 months and would like something to fly on snow and de-powered traction over winter.
Given that which would you recommend not 5.5-6m but maybe more the 3.5-4m?

My thinking is that instead of buying a foil de-power I might as well get a LEI on closeout for the same or even less money if I can re-use my bar from the Naish.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:02 pm

The 12 ride is better for the winds you describe. Do you know the avg. Wind speed most days? What are other kiters riding at that spot?

The ride is a killer kite :)

The old kites you describe...2007...that is way too expensive for old stuff...the ride from last year was almost sold at that price. Like others say don't use a 6 as a trainer...if you want trainer kite then get one. Also take some lessons...you'll end up saving time and frustration.

nph
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dallas TX, Houston TX.

Postby nph » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:13 am

Ok, so how big of a difference is the 10m vs 12m when it comes to wind range?

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:46 pm

nph wrote:Ok, so how big of a difference is the 10m vs 12m when it comes to wind range?
The two sizes overlap in wind range, but the problem is that if your local wind rarely exceeds 17mph as you said earlier then you will be mostly flying at the lower end of the 12m and below where the 10m will be able to pull you. If you are going to start with only one kite, a 12m makes way more sense. In fact, looking at wind charts for Lake Ray Hubbard, a 14m might be an even better choice but might be a little big if you travel to South Padre Island or elsewhere. Starting with a 14m and adding the 10m later would be good.

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:08 pm

nph wrote:I am looking at my first kite and a found a great deal on a 10m 2013 Naish Ride that I ordered.
Now in hindsight I am thinking if I should have gone for the 12m version since I weigh about 185 lbs.
Should I ask them to change? This would be my "go to" kite once I get to the water next year after some lessons. Given the closeout prices on the 2013 I thought it was better to buy a kite now for next season. I live in Dallas and plan to fly in the Houston area on the water and eventually on the lakes in Dallas so wind would not be too much above 17mph most days
But would a bigger board compensate for a 10m instead of a 12m or should I just switch to the 12m and be done with it?

Another question I have is for training with Depower when I will fly inland over winter and maybe even on snow can I use my bar that I will get with this kite, Naish Universal Bar, for another kite?
I am looking at buying a smaller kite 5.5 (with no bar) or 6m with bar to get the ropes of flying a LEI and the whole de-power thing. Currently there are some great closeouts and I can get a Best TS/Kahoona 5.5 with no bar for $330 or a Liquid Force 2007 Assualt 6m with bar for $550. That way I have a cheap trainer kite that should limit the number of lessons once I get to the water and also I don't have to worry if I break it given the close out price. There is also a Slingshot RPM 2012 or a 2010 Slingshot Key HD 7m and both comes with Bar and lines for roughly same price, $550.
Which one (with or without a bar) would you recommend?

So you've decided to buy gear before learning how to kite?
Stupid!
There will always be sales on kites. There is not ONE reason to buy before you learn and many reasons NOT to.
P
This will be my trainer kite and come spring I will take lessons and my Naish ride will be my goto kite for getting into the water. (Hence I don't want to use it on land for training)
Some say you can use any bar with any kite and others say you should stick with the Bar that comes with the kite. So which is the best way to go and which trainer kite would you recommend?

Appreciate any advice from you experienced guys and since these are closelouts I need to decide fast so quick response would be great!

Thanks

Peter

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Best advise i can give you is first complete your course then if the instructor and kiteschool seem honest buy what they recommend you to.

Return to “Kitesurfing”