Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen
Gear: NON Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moving to Playa del Carmen

Postby alan1oo1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:49 am

the thing is that im moving to playa del Carmen and i really want to practice kitesurfing, the thing is that im going to live there i well instead of paying some lessons that some times are expensives because the tourist target, i plan to buy some used equipment, is there any places where local people practice, so i can go there and hang around...

thaks see u..

KiteFlyer87
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Beginner
Brand Affiliation: BEST Kiteboarding

Re: Moving to Playa del Carmen

Postby KiteFlyer87 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 am

Hey Alan,
I was in Playa del Carmen this summer and it was awesome. This topic has also been discussed in this forum before:

viewtopic.php?t=2377068&p=763211
or
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2352458

I hope you find your favorite Spot and enjoy your time in Mexico.

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Alan,
First I would not recommend to learn to Kitesurf on your own, anywhere!
On top of this Playa del carmen is a very busy and touristic area and Kiteboarding is NOT allowed anywhere downtown!
The only place that would suit you is the Lagoon of Isla Blanca north of Cancun, but again, ther are other riders there, kids and family, and don t recommend learning alone to avoid hurting any one!
Lesson can seem pricy, but they save you time, accelerate your learning curve, and give you a lot of skills and knowledge to allow you practicing on your own then.
Contact PDC KITEBOARDING, pdckiteboarding.info@gmail.com, to get more info. They also offer special LOCAL prices to help out the community.
Welcome to playa, follow the local rules and enjoy our beautifull spot!
Regards,
M.

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot

Postby saildawg » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Many beaches in Quintana Roo (the state which Playa is in) have kite restrictions because of accidents and incidents involving kiters and walkers and swimmers. TAKE LESSONS, follow the local rules. Rules have been posted by volunteers (thank you) at Playa del Carmen kite spots.

MrChevere
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay
Favorite Beaches: SF Bay
Gear: cabrinha kites, ocean rodeo board

Postby MrChevere » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Playa del Carmen is full of turistas and not suitable for beginner kiters if not prohibited altogether. It gets less populated as you go south. There are lessons available in Tulum and I hear farther south there are some great spots but you might be riding alone.

Icarus at Isla Blanca has the best setup anywhere I've been. Shallow, flat water as far as you'd want to ride. Big, grassy rigging area, instructions, rentals, even some lodging. When I was there around Thanksgiving a couple years ago the road was pretty rough but there was a lot of construction going on so it's probably better now. Icarus has a shop in Playa del Carmen and might offer transportation.

During the week I was there it blew 5 days. Unfortunately two of those were the day I arrived and the day I left. One day it was too windy for the only kite I brought(12M). I got two good days in. The day that was too windy kiters came out of the woodwork and the place was packed.

There is a pretty nice public beach at the southern end of the Zona Hotelera in Cancun next to a closed up dolphin park. The place was empty except for a few local families and half a dozen kiters. Side/onshore wind.

There are probably other spots. I was busy kiting on the days that they would be rideable.

que goze!

alan1oo1
Rare Poster

Postby alan1oo1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 pm

ooh thanks for all replies yeah i think im going to take a chance of that local residents ofers, somehow the main porpuse of the trip is to learn this i think exciting sport even if i kind of old to start jaja .See you in playa some day !!

alan1oo1
Rare Poster

Postby alan1oo1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:19 pm

My weight is around 68 kg with Playa winds what size of kite you recommend to start with?
Thanks

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby slightlyimperfect » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:40 pm

The size of kite your instructor decides is appropriate for the current conditions.

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:14 pm

^ This

It is very very very important you take lessons. Even if you only take 2 lessons due to cost. Without lessons you will damage your gear and potentially hurt innocent people around you.

Fun sport. Enjoy :) But please do take lessons.

Return to “Kitesurfing”