Forum for kitesurfers
Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Airush Cypher vs Xenon Prisma?

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:35 am

I'm trying to get some info about the ride qualities and durability of these two boards (Cypher bamboo). I'm interested if anyone has tried these boards and could even possibly compare them.

Both boards are offered in a 5'4 length (what I'm interested in). Widths are only a .5" difference. I'm not sure about the thicknesses, rocker lines and bottom shapes though.
Both are EPS cores with bamboo. Looks like the Prisma has bamboo on the top deck only.
Both are offered in a 3/4 fin set-up.

I'm mainly into strapless airs & tricks, so durability and a reasonable weight is paramount.
Thanks! ;-)

Btw... Any news on why Best didn't bring the Stubby to market for 2014?
Last edited by Da Yoda on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Airush Cypher vs Xenon Prisma?

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:39 am

In the 5'4 lengths, I found out the Cypher is 2" thick and has their "Flying V" dual concave bottom shape. The Prisma is 2" thick as well with a single concave bottom shape. Both boards seem to be geared towards the same application, so I'm now just trying to narrow it down to ride quality and durability. I do like the fact that Cypher uses the Futures Fin System and has a concave deck, but I like the shape of the Prisma better for some reason.
Unfortunately I don't have the option to demo these boards, so I'm hoping someone on here will have some useful feedback for me soon. Thanks! :thumb:

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Schmidy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:42 am

Da Yoda wrote:In the 5'4 lengths, I found out the Cypher is 2" thick and has their "Flying V" dual concave bottom shape. The Prisma is 2" thick as well with a single concave bottom shape. Both boards seem to be geared towards the same application, so I'm now just trying to narrow it down to ride quality and durability. I do like the fact that Cypher uses the Futures Fin System and has a concave deck, but I like the shape of the Prisma better for some reason.
Unfortunately I don't have the option to demo these boards, so I'm hoping someone on here will have some useful feedback for me soon. Thanks! :thumb:
Before commenting I would like to know what conditions are you riding?
Onshore slop, cross-shore, lightwind, strong winds?
What is your size? Height, weight
What is your previous board you have been using or what is making you consider these specific dimensions over something else?

The Airush boards use a Surf Finz box, which is an adjustable box that is compatible with FCS fins.

I used the Cypher 5'6 last year in Bamboo - I was mostly playing in onshore slop last year. No problems with duarbility, no heal dents, going strong. Now I've been using the Compact 5'7 this year because I've been driving around a bit more to play in cross shore and onshore. I like having 1 board - less options less confusion on "what to take out today" :D

Cheers,
Schmidy

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Da Yoda wrote:I'm trying to get some info about the ride qualities and durability of these two boards (Cypher bamboo). I'm interested if anyone has tried these boards and could even possibly compare them.
I have not ridden the Xenon, but have ridden virtually every airush board in nearly every size with a lot of favourites over the years, but the last year or two have seen some definite progress. Very fond of the new Compacts this year 2014 - they really turned a corner, though they are probably a bit fast and locked in for you. The Cypher replaced the Choptop and it was a big step forward. Still has the balance, comfort, light and high load practicality of the choptop, but it hugely more capable on the rail...

I bought a 5'4 Cypher for myself, and it comes to the beach on every trip. I have played around with a lot of different fin setups (settled on stock quad) and had it out in a wide range of conditions, i enjoy it a lot…
It's a good mix of stability under load, and has that loose but corky feel (depending on fin setup). Though it lacks rail length it's surprisingly dependable under higher loads, but does feel minute underfoot. Surprisingly efficient, good upwind, it's a more mainstream freestyle waveboard as opposed to a small high wind board. Flotation and stability with just a few knots of boardspeed is excellent for the size - it's very easy, which makes more challenging stuff easy too.

Durability wise, I have been selling these in the UK for 3 years now and not had a single failure, so you pay for what you get. They are certainly not heavy either..

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Schmidy wrote:Before commenting I would like to know what conditions are you riding?
Onshore slop, cross-shore, lightwind, strong winds?
What is your size? Height, weight
What is your previous board you have been using or what is making you consider these specific dimensions over something else?

The Airush boards use a Surf Finz box, which is an adjustable box that is compatible with FCS fins.
Thanks for taking the time to respond guys. Mike... your review is quite helpful and reassuring. :thumb:

Schmidy - Here are the answers to your questions above...
I'm mainly riding "onshore slop" conditions with anything from light to strong winds. Waves are rarely more than shoulder high.
I'm 6ft/150lb (1.82m/68kg)
I've been using two surfboards. One is an Underground FreeWave 5'8x19" (173x48cm). The other is a Newind Surf 4'11x18" (150x46cm). The FreeWave is a thruster and the Newind is a quad.
I really want something more in the middle. A 5'4 is about right for my weight as well.

I couldn't find any good detail on the internet about the Surfinz fin box. It looked like a Futures box to me in the picture. I do like the idea of being able to adjust the fin position in addition to the configuration. Thanks for pointing that out! ;-)

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Well based on your feedback i would have to agree with Mike as well.

You have the alternative bigger and smaller boards if you need them so the 5'4" in the onshore slop will be extremely fun to ride strapless. You can flip it around super easy and it will give you a good amount of buoyancy in the bit lighter conditions for your size.

The 5'4 has a flat deck (not convex) so it feels more like a skateboard when you ride it.

The Surfinz box is pretty fun to play around with and since its FCS compatible, you can play around with so many options for aftermarket fins - if you are into going technical like that. I don't :D

Cheers
Schmidy

windtzu
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windtzu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Hey Mike, I do enjoy the Cypher 5'6. It's one of my most used boards whether I'm riding my 12 meter Lithium in flat water @ 12 knots or in the upper twenties on the 6m Varial, and everything in between. My twin is seeing less and less time on the water. The twin tip has it's place, jumping and all, but for a variety of reasons I'm more and more drawn to being on a directional. While I rarely experience "real waves" where I kite, I do enjoy the Cypher in onshore slop and rolling swell - strapped or not.

When the wind and chop is up (twenty plus) I usually pull out the twin tip, but only reluctantly. I like the "flowy-feel" of a streamlined object verses a plank on the water. The 5'6 Cypher can handle it but I have to slow things down. I'm considering a high wind kite surfboard that can pick up where the Cypher leaves off .

Again, wave prowess isn't necessarily something I need. I'll rely on the Cypher for that. Ideally, something that replaces the twin tip in terms of control with speed (speed being relative and usually synonymous / control = speed), smoothness (chop), a high wind blasting board...Or using windsurfing terms, a "bump & jump" board. Does something like this exist with a kite surfboard, or do the dynamics of kiteboarding limit this? Other kiting friends of mine (former windsurfers) brought up the same question. Different kite surfboards - directionals are something I never tried.

A retailer is selling closeouts: 2010 Airush Converse's 6'2 and 6'4; 2011 5'11; and a 6'1 2012 . I'm guessing smaller - narrower better. Is this model too surf orientated?

I weigh 72 kg / 158 lbs

Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”