Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade, Vector, Custom
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freak accident injury

Postby donohu90 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:News reporters rarely make an effort to get all the details right. It sounds to me like they meant to say "kite" and not "kiteboard". I can't even begin to understand why they used the word "flick". Maybe that's an Australian thing because in American English you would never use it in that way. It would be nice to have a better explanation of what happened because the way it is written it's really hard to figure out.
I think Thor got it right. The average person doesn't even know what kiteboarding is, let enough understand it well enough to explain an accident. The reporters also writing the story for the average person, so explaining it well would probably be over most people's heads.

Does anyone here have a good handle on what actually happened?

Kudos to the guys buddy.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Yeah the account from the news is screwed up. it would be interesting to here how it actually happened.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Yea them leashes....so convenient....turns a board into one of them lures...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 am

What good buddies are for. Sick!

Years ago a friend slammed real hard on water kiting and helmet at neck area pushed into neck - got temporary paralysis and nearly drowned.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 am

A fall on the back can also bruise the lungs and push the air out of them causing you to pass out. I did that after a fall on soft ground from about 6 feet off a ladder, and also had a bad back injury.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 am

donohu90 wrote:
Thor SFBay wrote:News reporters rarely make an effort to get all the details right. It sounds to me like they meant to say "kite" and not "kiteboard". I can't even begin to understand why they used the word "flick". Maybe that's an Australian thing because in American English you would never use it in that way. It would be nice to have a better explanation of what happened because the way it is written it's really hard to figure out.
I think Thor got it right. The average person doesn't even know what kiteboarding is, let enough understand it well enough to explain an accident. The reporters also writing the story for the average person, so explaining it well would probably be over most people's heads.

Does anyone here have a good handle on what actually happened?

Kudos to the guys buddy.
Because the hard work of actually getting the facts right should never get in the way of a good story. :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”