Style: waveriding
Gear: North Rebel and Evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking for a trip in December ?

Postby romopo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi riders,

I'm a Waverider and i'm looking for a trip in November for my friends and I, Can I have some advises ?

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile

Re: Looking for a trip in December ? Sao Vicente

Postby mvandijk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 am

Sao Vicente island (part of Cape Verde)

In one small area (around Salamansa bay/beach) you have a range of conditions so you can choose:
- beach break with cross-onshore wind for strapless off-the-lips
- beach break with cross-shore wind for those needing to learn how to get through the waves
- reef break with small waves and large flat water area after the waves with cross-offshore wind for those learning to kite in the waves
G0201857_M_s.jpg
G0201857_M_s.jpg (131.34 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
- reef break with medium sized waves with cross off-shore wind for those familiar with waves
G0030395_M_s.jpg
G0030395_M_s.jpg (114.75 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
- point break with large waves with cross off-shore wind for the pros
All of the above with waves breaking from right. The cross-off-shore wind eventually takes you to a large sandy beach.
G0040067_M_s.jpg
G0040067_M_s.jpg (73.83 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Then, if you want a left break - just around the corner you'll find a reef break.
There is even more superb wave spots on the island ....

If some of your friends are not 100% into waves: Cape Verde overall is not perfect, but we do have 2 small areas with flat water on Sao Vicente.
G0090210_M_s.jpg
G0090210_M_s.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
The best thing for kitesurfing: this is pretty much untouched by tourism so plenty of space on the water.

If some of your friends are not kitesurfers: hiking, (e-)mountain biking, deep sea fishing, diving and sailing are world class (also there is also horse riding, surfing, parapenting, beauty spa).
Santo Antao s.jpg

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for a trip in December ?

Postby speedyRider » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:49 am

when is windy season?
any more picture of the flat areas and also of the side-off "easy" wave? is it reef under with little depth or is it sandy?

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile

Windy season - Sao Vicente

Postby mvandijk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:27 am

The windy season is mid-October - end-June.

The most common wind at Salamansa is 16-17 knots at the kite center and 17-18 knots at the upwind wave area. There are other spots with more wind on the island but they are not as safe (only for advanced riders with safety boat).
The wind bows all day (& drops a tiny bit during the night)

The wind comes mostly from NNE mid-October - end-November and again beginning May - end-June.
The wind comes mostly from NE beginning-December - end-April.

Both directions work well at Salamansa bay on Sao Vicente.

The reef breaks are over a reef. The lowest depth underneath the wave depends on where you take the wave and on how big the waves are on the day. If you take the wave all the way on the right (tallest part of the wave), this will be the most shallow part (only pros do this). If you want to play it safe, you don't go all the way to the right so you won't get hurt when something goes wrong. On days with big waves, the water is deeper.
The beach breaks are over sand (without any stones).

Below picture of the Salamansa flat water area on a relatively calm day (NOTE: it's not a big area)
Unlike the main beach downwind, this are has black sand.
Cape-Verde-Salamansa-kitesurfing-teaching-area.png
G0262369_M_s.jpg
G0262369_M_s.jpg (105.09 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Below a picture of the reef break with small waves (on a day with big waves).
G0201860_M_s.jpg
G0201860_M_s.jpg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
NOTE: water looks shallow but it is not (water is extremely clear)

Below a picture of the reef break with small waves (on a day with big waves - slightly smaller).
IMG_3002_M_s.jpg
IMG_3002_M_s.jpg (97.57 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Sorry, I don't have picture of a typical day of the reef break with small waves (doesn't look as spectacular :D )

yokitekiller
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brutal beach
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc (France)
Lobitos (Pérou)
L'almanarre (France)
Style: Twintip & waveriding
Gear: Ozone C4 2013 7m2 & 9m2
BEST 2013 12m2

Postby yokitekiller » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:39 am

Peru is not very known but trust me the peruvian northshore is an amazing spot for waveriding !!!
Get barrels at Lobitos dude ! or go to sea the beautiful landscape and wave at Cabo Blanco !

And the best thing is that there are nobody, sometimes you can the spot for you it's simply incredible. I never expected as good weather condition as i saw. Wind and waves every day, astonishing !

I recommend to contact Axel, a french guy based at Mancora, he will bring you in all the good spot, check is web site http://www.wild-kitesurf-peru.com/

Have a good trip ;-)

CTwatersports
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach
Haakgat
Sunset Beach
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach
Haakgat
Sunset Beach
Gear: Cabrinha
Vanhunks
Liquid Force

Postby CTwatersports » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am

You will find the best kiting in December in Cape Town.

Cape Town has the beautiful African sun keeping you warm as well as wind so strong and constant that the Red Bull King of the Air comp is returning there in January 2014.

The wide variety of beaches and the fact that it is the only city in the world where you can surf TWO oceans means that there is the perfect spot for waveriding and if you or your friends want to do a little freeride or rent a SUP and chill out, you can! You've got Big Bay where the King of the Air happens, with top notch kickers for grabbing all the air time you could ever need. Muizenberg has warm water and super chilled swell for working on nailing any and all tricks. Langebaan is there too with its flat as a pancake water for some freeride.
And finally there's the famous Kite Beach where you will find crazy wind and the sickest waves for all your riding pleasure.

In addition, the South African currency is really weak right now, so your living expenses, entertainment and gear costs will be easy on your pocket.

For any other info, check out this site http://capetown-watersports.com/

Return to “Travel”