Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Big Inflation Valve

Postby Westozzy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 am

Oldnbroken wrote:I like the larger inflation valve, had one on a Switch kite, an Ozone kite and on an Epic proto kite.
I had no problems with them, but I'm more picky and more careful about taking care of my gear than some kiters I know.
I also had no problem (this Tuesday) blowing up the Wainman Big Mama without one pump, larger valves or an electric pump.
I like the kite and the way she flies, so I don't care if Wainman ever goes to one pump or larger valves, feel the same way about the Blade Primes and Epic Screamers.
I do want a go on the Dice though, it sounds like a cracking good kite that can do it all.

Yeh its a nice wing man. but there are plenty of nice wings out there as you well know. If ya I to waves and powered hooked or unhooked freestyle it really shines. Lacks in the boost department though even with good c technique unless lit. But is doable and something you can afford to lose given the other gains. Floats not bad though considering.

Can't have it all it seems.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:25 am

OR have either updated the new kites or are planning to do so...

I think the FSer valve is exactly the same as the Ozone one, is it not?

wytcap
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wytcap » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:03 am

I love the Liquid Force valve!
Fast in fast out.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 am

wytcap wrote:I love the Liquid Force valve!
Fast in fast out.
That's cos it's MAX FLO-OOOOW!

Henning_NL
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kornwerderzan, Workum, 't Mirnse klif
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby Henning_NL » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Kamikuza wrote:OR have either updated the new kites or are planning to do so...

I think the FSer valve is exactly the same as the Ozone one, is it not?
Nope, It's bigger and damaged treads won't result in leakage of the valve because it has an internal airtight seal.

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Inflate in the deflate valve, to light pressure, (1-2 psi)
Much easier pumping, with the lower resistance.
Then move to the inflate valve to full pressure.

After I purchased my first Ozone with the new Boston type valve.
I realized the ease and quickness of pumping in the bigger hole.
I started to inflate my other older kites in the dump valve.
About the time the kites inflates enough to unroll all the way is when I move to the smaller inflate valve.
Even if you use the BST pumps, this method will keep the high volume side of the pump on longer.
As soon as it switches to the high pressure side, I switch to the inflate valve.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

the whole big inflation valve discussion is the perfect example of how kite brands are getting themselves too damn comfortable in current more than generous kite gear price range. they just don't have to try harder!
this big valve is in use for how long now? 6 or 8 years? and still half of the brands don't use it
clearly money comes to them too easily...

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello guys,
Since the internet especially the kiteforums is the best place to interact with customers and ideas what would you recommend as a BIG INFLATE/DEFLATE valve? We have been working on different types of these valves but always end up with problems after few months. It's not about saving money. If something works incredibly well and won't cause problems I will do it. I want to know which one is the best BIG INFLATE/DEFLATE valve you guys have tried and test for a long period of time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:59 pm

What are we talking about here ?

An interesting topic, as there are more aspects than at first view IMO.

Trying to divide between types:

1. Single small valve only.
2. Small valve for inflating and big valve for deflating.
3. Small valve and big valve, for optional inflating in either of the two (or in two steps - big one first, then topped with the small one for max pressure)
4. Single big valve for inflating (and deflating of course).

I assume these are the ones we most often see, right ?

My thoughts -

1 is obsolete and not used anymore, so not worth discussing.

2 is used by many, and the hassle is with big kites - it takes too long to inflate, otherwise fine.
Especially because you can almost ALWAYS find a kitepump with this "standard" nozzle - even if you forgot your own or it does not work.

3 is excellent, as you can use the big one for the big kites, to pump up easy and fast, and then top it off with the small nozzle.
Downside is, that you has to CHANGE nozzle during the pump-up, which is aaaargh especially if very fine sand in everything.
And for the wavekites (smaller), it does not make sense to waste time changing nozzles at all - you just use the small one.

4 is the "Cab" way right ? I assume it works, since every Cab owner got this.
So they must have solved the issues regarding being difficult to "top off" to the last PSI's, awesome (havent tried one myself as Cab is almost not seen around here - and whenever i borrow another kite, it IS typically pumped beforehand...)
If this issue is solved adequate (assume it is, since noone mentions this as a downside), then I only see two issues -
Is the valve type patented ? Could be a reason why it is not copied.
The other is the risk of standing in perfect conditions, and you forgot your pump (or it is broke), and noone else can help you as a very special nozzle is required.
I've experienced this happen often actually, when we meet at big kite camps - that the nozzle is missing :-(

If I could choose ANY type myself, I think I would like a Cab type (IF it can top up easily), and also another standard "old" tiny valve.
This way, you can get by even if you are stuck without the special nozzle - you might even be able to borrow a toy pump from other beachgoers, instead of having to drive home for the day.

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:52 pm

yeah I love the big valve on the my ozones. I cringe every time I pull my old 2010 13m edge out with the small valves.

But remember there is one downside to the big valve. Your kite goes down fast if the valve is not tight enough or you have sand in the valve!.

Return to “Kitesurfing”