Big Inflation Valve

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Big Inflation Valve

Postby L0KI » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:02 pm

plummet wrote:yeah I love the big valve on the my Ozones.
But remember there is one downside to the big valve. Your kite goes down fast if the valve is not tight enough or you have sand in the valve!.
And this is why the companies who have not changed, still do it the old way.
I've got friends who have had to come in to re-inflate their Ozone kites.

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I´ve got the cab, and recently purchased another kite from a different brand, which doesn´t have it. I just don´t get it :

Is it really that more expensive to put in a bigger descent valve? It is so obviously the better solution, so why on earth wouldn´t you use one?

I´ve had my cabs for 3 years, and not a single problem with it so far.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:35 am

Assuming they have to spend time designing one and then making up injection molds... yes. If they're buying the rights to use a patented item... yes.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 am

I had one session two years ago when I had some air leaking from an ozone valve. Someone told me about the rubber seal and to quickly blow off any excess sand...you talk about fine white sand come and kite some WA beaches....

Two years later no issues whatsoever.

North new ones, well only two months in, no problems so far. We will see. Cab ones I have seen are great. Liquid force is unusual but seems to work well?

If you are trying to justify not having one, the arguments relatively thin, has some merit, but a very thin argument.

Thousands of kiters using them now with relatively no issues and in the end they are better, especially for anything above 10m to pump.

You can spin around the issue all you want, you need one eventually and there are some good examples out there that are working fine.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:09 am

plummet wrote:
But remember there is one downside to the big valve. Your kite goes down fast if the valve is not tight enough or you have sand in the valve!.
Thats a plus, Rather have my kite go down "fast" while still on the beach :)

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigPaul » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 am

Strange thread this.

Would I buy a kite with the normal/old fashioned inflate valve - simple - yes if I like the kite and price.

Would I buy a kite with the new inflate valve - yes if I like the kite and price.

I've tried both, latest being the North. did work, yes. did it work well, yes. Did it bother me when I went back to my kite with the old style valve. Not in the slightest.

Finding it hard to understand the statements that all old school valve kites are shit. Simply not true. If inflation is part of your reason to like something thats cool, but not a reason to say every other type is wrong.

As I say strange thread, theres much more going on in the world.

My thoughts go to those in the Philippines,

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Thank you guys for all your info. All your inputs are taking into account. We have been testing on these "Big Inflation Valves" for 2 years now trying to see the end result.
These are some of our prototype with one of the "Big Inflation Valves". You will see that even if we go with the BIG VALVE, will always have one normal "Inflate" valve.
Personally I like the simple valve system because of the less maintenance it requires and less things to worry about. But again thank you so much for your help.
Attachments
SURF 5M.JPG
SURF 5M.JPG (68.54 KiB) Viewed 997 times
IMG_0941.jpg

saltire
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby saltire » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Thank you guys for all your info. All your inputs are taking into account. We have been testing on these "Big Inflation Valves" for 2 years now trying to see the end result.
These are some of our prototype with one of the "Big Inflation Valves". You will see that even if we go with the BIG VALVE, will always have one normal "Inflate" valve.
Personally I like the simple valve system because of the less maintenance it requires and less things to worry about. But again thank you so much for your help.
So are your kite's going to have big infation valves ?? the one in your picture looks similar to cabrinha's which i have never had any issues with them in over 4 years and as i use a battery operated inflation pump its so quick i could not imagine going back to small inflation valves .
Dimitri why waste money putting a small infation valve along side the big one no need and also you dont need a de flation valve .One big valve job done .I might even buy some of your kites :D

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Cabrinha: that plastic retainer holding the cap to the body always breaks....you lose it
Rubber seal falls off..you lose it.
Gets contaminated with sand and leaks randomly making you wonder is it the kite or the valve

I'm with D, for the convenience of LOWER FORCE pumping ......not FASTER but LOWER FORCE. (same amount of air goes into the kite with one pump stroke) the design is just not better.

Kudos to D for testing the crap out of stuff until HE is happy with it.....

Sure some guys want a big one and are ok with licking and blowing on the rubbers....whatever gets it hard.........just not for me......guess I'm just a bit old fashioned and traditional :lol:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 pm

So are your kite's going to have big infation valves ?? the one in your picture looks similar to cabrinha's which i have never had any issues with them in over 4 years and as i use a battery operated inflation pump its so quick i could not imagine going back to small inflation valves .
Dimitri why waste money putting a small infation valve along side the big one no need and also you dont need a de flation valve .One big valve job done .I might even buy some of your kites
That is a good question Mr.saltire. I still need more time to see if I need to make our own EPIC "Big Inflation Valve" mold or use one that is already out there from other kite companies. Also the problem I have with some of these twist on Big Valves is that you need to screw them really hard in order for them to lock and work so the air doesn't escape. If you don't do that some of the air will be escaping a little. And how do you check this? Well very easy. Pump your kite and close the cap of the Valve and then push that valve on the side and put your ear close to it. You will ear a small "pssssss...". If you don't ear the "pssssss..." that means you did screwed the valve to the max and its good to go but again the sand might be something to be careful so you don't break the threads of the valves. Now the problem is that some customers won't know when is too much screwing the valve and they might thing what they did is good enough to go.

Now the reason I put an extra "Inflate Valve" on the side of the "Big Inflation Valve" is in case you lost your small inflate nosel that comes with the pump. Then you can always use the old fashion one to pump your kite. I know this will cost me more but it's not about saving money, it's more about making sure you don't get stuck on the beach. Plus another reason is that I like to pump my kites very hard (no need to do that but I like my kites when they are solid like a rock) and in case I hit the water very hard so many times, I rather have the old fashion "Inflate" valve open then have my Leading Edge blow out. Because if you only have the "Big Inflation Valve" and you pump your kite to the max and hit the water very very hard you will blow your LE because the air is going to want to escape from somewhere. So that is another reason why I would still put an "Inflate" valve on the side next to the "Big Inflation Valve".
I hope this answers your questions.
Attachments
Renegade 9 4G prototype valve.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”