Style: Cool
Gear: Ozone Zephyr, 17m
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Smooth hill-gliding session november 8th

Postby Boulgakow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 am

Hi all.

Last friday november 8th we had a cool session here in France, spot Col de la Croix de Fer which is our home autumn area before they close the road to the pass.
South wind pretty light at the beginning and getting stronger in the afternoon.
Blue sky when we started from the car near the road but snow/rain coming about 4 pm.
Well, images are speaking better than me so check out the video :

https://vimeo.com/79004886

Thank you guys for visiting.
Cheers.

:thumb:

Boulgakow

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Smooth hill-gliding session november 8th

Postby fernmanus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I thought you would be flying a FS Peak. All the promotional videos on the Peak and you are flying another kite. Was the Peak not suited for the conditions that day? Have you used the Peak for gliding?

Boulgakow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Monteynard Lake, France
Favorite Beaches: Monteynard Lake, France
Style: Cool
Gear: Ozone Zephyr, 17m
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Boulgakow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello Fernmanus.

I'm working with 6 brands of snowkites and I have to show and promote each of them.
This session was with the Aeros team so I used the 12m Open Air Edition which is really good, super stable and powerful.
The PEAK is a perfect kite as well, especially for cruising, expeditions, super light kite and minimal packing size, I'm not sure Flysurfer wants promoting it for hill-gliding and I have to respect the wishes of the head-quarters.
There are so many different kites : foils, tubes, and now single-skin depowerable, so everybody can make his own choice for good sessions. That's it for long years now. Nobody keep the Truth and nobody is Wrong.
Even if my opinion is that the 2014 Frenzy is the best snowkiting kite ever, my favorite kite remains the HQ Montana 14m and you'll see it soon on my videos and photos. I will now mainly use the HQ M8, as I did last winter with the M7 although I respect everybody prefering a complete different kite.
Have great session.
:-)

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby geopeck » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Hey Boulgakow - I see you are working hard to not step on any toes and I really respect that. There are really a lot of good foils out now and it takes a lot of time to understand what drives your own preference and what the potentials of different kites are.

But, um - I'm interested in you saying that the Frenzy is the best snowkite but you prefer the Montana. Do you mean that for the general rider the Frenzy is a bit better but you prefer the Montana for your style of riding? If so, is this because it is a little better for gliding? I have noticed that the Montana is engineered almost to the point of being difficult to ride in dirty winds, but it really glides well.

The M8 will be a little deeper and less high aspect - have you got a sneak peek and does it still glide the same?

Also, what is your weight? When I have used the larger Montanas I was not impressed with their turning - it made me think that the large ones were great for a heavy rider or a glide oriented kiter but did not scale well in turning characteristics compared to the mid and small Montanas.

Again, I respect your non pimping stance so I'll take your reply with that in mind.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:50 pm

Boulgakow,

Thank you for your candid response. I am glad that you are not tied to a single line of kites.
Even if my opinion is that the 2014 Frenzy is the best snowkiting kite ever, my favorite kite remains the HQ Montana 14m and you'll see it soon on my videos and photos. I will now mainly use the HQ M8, as I did last winter with the M7 although I respect everybody prefering a complete different kite.
Please explain further. Do you think the HQ Montana suits your riding style better?

Return to “Snow / Land”