ivan-d
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good first kite size for a 2-kite quiver

Postby ivan-d » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a new Ozone Frenzy with the idea that at some point, say in a year, it will become part of a 2-kite quiver, and I'm not sure which size to start with. Ignoring the conditions I am likely to meet in my neck of the woods (which I know little about; this is my first foray into snowkiting), I thought the 11 + 7 would be a great combo (and since my girlfriend is into kiting as well, it will allow her to enjoy a good chunk of the weather too), covering winds from 10-25 knots. Would you say going for the 11 as my first kite would be a wise move (the local Ozone rep recommended the 9 for the local conditions, but I didn't mention anything about completing a quiver to him, so he may have been trying to cover me as much as possible with a single size)? Some of you will probably recommend a different brand, but I'm set on the Ozones (and the Frenzy in particular, though the Summits are an option as well). The rides I plan on doing will consist mainly of carving, some airs (nothing huge -- I have a respectable fear of heights), backcountry cruising, and climbing up slopes for some freeride skiing back down (again, nothing particularly spectacular); the local snowkiting spot is a mountain plateau with some rolling hills at 2000m elevation. Thanks for the tips!

ivan

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Re: Good first kite size for a 2-kite quiver

Postby waynepjh » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 pm

7-11 is a good two kite quiver. And the ozone's are the way to go for sure. I think I would go 7 summit and 11 frenzy. Whatever you decide with its going to be awesome! Have fun and take pictures! :)

ivan-d
Rare Poster

Postby ivan-d » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I got some feedback from local riders earlier today, and they say the most frequent kite they fly is a 9m. So now I'm thinking I'm going to start with a 9m Frenzy, and later, when money permits, add a 12m Summit for light wind days.

And if at some point I end up getting any air time (even a foot off the snow) it'll definitely get youtube'd for eternity.

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Ozone kites are great but don't overlook other kite brands

HQ, Flysurfer,

Ikon kiteboarding

The Empire ( just came out )
Has a safety system that is taking relaunch/ instant shut off pack down, soo much easier then any other safety, flag out systems out there

metivir
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake George
Gear: HQ

Postby metivir » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:55 pm

I know we all have different snow conditions , weights and ability but the 9m seems to be a great size especially when you only have one kite in the quiver. I started with Hq and built up to three different sizes in the quiver. Now I am also thinking of purchasing a frenzy and was wondering if the 2013's are that much different than the 2014's? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Return to “Snow / Land”