North Whip 5'5" and WAM 5'8"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2014 Ozone Reo

Postby zinho » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 pm

Reply to Stephduche -

I got the Reo for several reasons put them in the order you want:

1. Better service from my national distributor and local Ozone shop.
2. I did a good deal with my local shop, which I like to support anyway.
3. Goldilocks: the Dice felt reeeeally good but the Reo '14 felt 'just right' - it's a personal thing.
4. Look at the Reo 2014 range chart and believe it. 12k to 26k for the 12m, which I verify 100% - it's as if you get two (or 1.5 kites) for the price of one.

Reasons for buying North - questionable durability of Ozone kites. Please pick me up on this
if someone wishes to disagree, maybe I just abuse my kites too much. But my last Ozone got so full of round pinhole patches it looked like a flying dalmatian after only 150 hours flight time.

Reasons for not buying North - where I live the distributor has an appalling warranty claim record.
My guess is because too many berks have abused the system.

You have to try these kites and see what's right for you and where you kite. And you can't believe me or anyone else 100% in these reviews, I mean look at the reviews for the first 2012 Reo - nobody said it had a lousy low end or it let you down like a broken elevator when you jumped it.
And the 10m 2012 was maddening wet flannel compromise of a kite IMHO.

I like my Reo 2014, a lot. You might not.
Subjectivity test:Check out the Reo vs RRD Religion threads on Seabreeze, some say the RRD is faster others that it's slower, in the end it depends how you feel it moves more than anything else.
All reviews are limited by their authors and are highly personal: my mates love Catalysts, Best TS and BW Noise Pros, but apart from the last kite, I can't even bloody tack on those kites without getting my arse wet. But put me on a Reo and my skill level shoots up to 95% dry butt transitions and the occasional air grab spinny whotsit.

You look at the performance pie chart for the Dice - for me it's wrong. It goes upwind like a m.f. and has a sweet boost. Yet Jaime, Sky, Airton and Tom who are lightyears ahead of my caveman standards disagree - they must have put those statistics together and they got completely different vibe from the kite than I did. Maybe 'cos they were comparing to Evos and Rebels... who knows?
Maybe my arms are too long or it just works different for bald blokes?

It's a really nice kite with all the engineering North love to do and overdo. I'd try one, I'm pretty sure you'll come back to the beach with a big smile on your face, most people who I know who tried it did - and that's what it's all about.

But I still like me Reo better....

:wink:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Awesome zinho, well explained and I totally agree with everything you said. Very balanced.

Each rider needs to get on a kite, shut off all hype, marketing and reviews and be honest with if the kites fits them, personally. Obviously the longer you have been in the sport the easier and quicker you can do this.

I'm getting to the point now that no matter what kite I try (apart from a few exceptions) I can find something great about them. There are few kites I get on now (and I demo a lot just for fun) which I don't like! It then really comes down to what wing not only suites your style, your projected style and indeed water conditions and board slelection oh yes and local support. You always have to weigh up all these factors.

Luckily I have excellent support from both north and ozone locally.

If I can be honest, I love ozone kites. But unlike a lot of crew it seems I did not get along with the catalyst 2013. While I was the only one it seems who was brave enough to say anything and got my ass raped on my local forum many times. Hence I was looking for a more wave, freestyle all rounder. Hence the dice.

But, I'm still open to see what ozone have done with the REO and cat this year as I would love to add these to my fav kite of all time, the zephyr (2013).

Hopefully soon, as Sunday was curtailed by the handbrakes (wife and kids).

Will report back when I can. Some great reports locally on both the REO and new Cat.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach

Postby KiteRunner » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 pm

I am about to order a 2014 REO.

Any other comments/feedback before i do would be helpful.

Somone just sent me a link on the North NEO but i can't find many rider reviews out there regarding it.

Thanks.

stephduche
Rare Poster
Local Beach: gilgo, ny

Postby stephduche » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Thks Zinho and Westozzy for the input.
After further reading and research (and unfortunately 0 demo, which are borderline impossible for me), I'm actually narrowing it down to REO and North Neo. I think the Dice is not wave specific enough for me. I am also opened to other options (RRD, etc...). I still have a couple months ahead of me before having to pull the trigger, so I'm going to study further.
Any additional input from you guys will be greatly appreciated
Thks

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I flew the 10m dice and 10m 2014 reo back to back 2 days ago. 23-28 knots so really I was too powered.

I much prefered the dice for my style. It was smoother and more controllable. note i ride a mutant in the waves. I really didn't enjoy the new reo at all. Its a bit of a shame as i was very keen on one. I much prefer the way the older reo performs.

Try before you buy man and be aware that the new reo has more power per size. its actually quite grunty. I was really holding on at 25 knots.

If you want the same power as last years reo go 1m smaller. ie get a 9m instead of a 10m.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:27 am

Just got my new quiver of reo's and catalyst and headed to baja for 2 weeks. I hope to have a good review and maybe a video too. When I layed them out to attach the lines ( cause I always leave them on) the kites looked sweet! Super stoked!!!

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:01 am

+ 1 WAY for leaving your lines on!!!!!

stephduche
Rare Poster
Local Beach: gilgo, ny

Postby stephduche » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:43 am

waynepjh wrote:Just got my new quiver of reo's and catalyst and headed to baja for 2 weeks. I hope to have a good review and maybe a video too. When I layed them out to attach the lines ( cause I always leave them on) the kites looked sweet! Super stoked!!!
Yes, plse post a review when you're back!
Thks

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:51 am

Yeh next time I pack up my zephyr I'm giving this leave ya lines on thing a crack.

Hey do you know what supaez used for his sandbag? Like that idea, don't need to find a tether all the time.

I and three others spent some time on a 10m Reo yesterday in only 16/17 knots so on light wind TT's and nuggetts.

Not much swell about, few beach breaks coming in...

All I can say is with any certainty so far, different to last years. Flies forward much more. Was weird looking up and seeing what is a quite different canopy profile and this translated into a different ride. Boosted better for sure but hey that's not what it is about is it.

Not going to make any true judements except it's not for me and it wasnt for our dedicated SB rider, based on what we experienced (not the best conditions, but still you get some measure of its flying chracteristics), both happy to stick with the dice.

Tha being said everyone I have spoken to says it takes a few rides to dial this kite in properly but when you do, they really like it.

Not much help but at least it's some info'.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach

Postby KiteRunner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Folks.

I am ordering a new REO and read that the this year's models are a little more powerful then last.

I am debating if I should get a 10M or a 9M

I am a 195 pounds, and I ride a surfboard. I would like to use it in 18 to 35 knots.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”