Forum for kitesurfers
BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NRG, Fat Lady, and Zephyr

Postby BiteMe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Thinking of getting a light wind kite for those 10-13mph days. Has anyone had a chance to fly 16m NRG, Fat Lady, and Zephyr? Just curious how these three kites compare.

I'm looking for something to use with a TT. I was able to try the Dyno and Edge, nice kites, but they didn't work well in our conditions (swell, kelp, chop).
Last edited by BiteMe on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: NRG, Fat Lady, and Zephyr

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm also hoping to see some feedback on these kites as well. I'm especially interested in the NRG. What amazes me is the Fat Lady (which is a 17m) and the NRG 12m are both rated for winds ranging from 8-20 knots. I'd much rather fly a 12m if it could really work down that low. Plus with a 12m it should be able to be flown faster, so with a lightwind twintip, or a skim or surfboard, it could possibly work down to 6-7 knots. ;-)

Biteme - You might want to also check out the Naish Fly (15m). It's rated from 6-16 knots. I heard the two-strut design makes the kite real nimble due to the reduced weight.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:49 am

I've flown the NRG 16 a few times. I'm really impressed with its low end and it flies up wind really well. Very high aspect kite so can be a little tricky to relaunch in the lighter winds but it also has a bunch of high end to it so don't worry about getting over powered easily. Very good in the waves also. I wouldn't call it a kite to unhook on, but if you want to boost and loop and just have a fun time in light winds then it's a great kite. Comes down to it, you need to demo the kites that you are leaning towards and that will make your choice for you.

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up

Postby redman333 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:43 am

I have a 2012 12m NRG and ive flown the 17m fat lady and can say that the fat lady does fly when my nrg wouldnt. I was able to fly the 17 in about 8-10mph and i start flying my 12m at about 12mph. I can say that the fat lady and my NRG 12m are just about the same speed wise and they fly very similar as far as power. I didnt put the fat lady down so i dont know about relaunch but i know my NRG isnt the greatest for relaunch. Its not the worst but its not the best either. I havent flown the zephyr at all but i really enjoy my NRG and the fat lady feels very familiar to my NRG. One thing my NRG does that the fat lady doesnt is wind range. Ive had my NRG out from 12mph all the up to 30mph. The fat lady was pretty over powered at 12mph.

Just for reference im 5'11" 185lbs and ride on a 137 liquid force twin tip for both kites.

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up

Postby redman333 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:43 am

I have a 2012 12m NRG and ive flown the 17m fat lady and can say that the fat lady does fly when my nrg wouldnt. I was able to fly the 17 in about 8-10mph and i start flying my 12m at about 12mph. I can say that the fat lady and my NRG 12m are just about the same speed wise and they fly very similar as far as power. I didnt put the fat lady down so i dont know about relaunch but i know my NRG isnt the greatest for relaunch. Its not the worst but its not the best either. I havent flown the zephyr at all but i really enjoy my NRG and the fat lady feels very familiar to my NRG. One thing my NRG does that the fat lady doesnt is wind range. Ive had my NRG out from 12mph all the up to 30mph. The fat lady was pretty over powered at 12mph.

Just for reference im 5'11" 185lbs and ride on a 137 liquid force twin tip for both kites.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:05 am

Bite me what's your:

Weight (convert into Kgs will ya)

Board selection

Water conditions

Wind type (Cold/warm)

That way I can advise you at least on the zephyr, although I can say that 8-11 knots is not really zephyr territory unless on a race board and a light rider.

Fat Lady and NRG...afford different riding styles (power delivery), so you might want to add in that...

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:23 am

Westozzy wrote:Bite me what's your:

Weight (convert into Kgs will ya)

Board selection

Water conditions

Wind type (Cold/warm)

That way I can advise you at least on the zephyr, although I can say that 8-11 knots is not really zephyr territory unless on a race board and a light rider.

Fat Lady and NRG...afford different riding styles (power delivery), so you might want to add in that...
185lbs, ride a Nobile XTR 143x48, air temp ~70F. Looking for something to just get out and ride on those light wind days where the wind is blowing 10mph - 13mph.

Water conditions are ocean chop, swell, kelp, and some 2'-3' waves. Not looking for something to ride the wave, but that can power out through them. The Dyno and Edge worked well on flat days when I could keep the board speed up. But on days when there was chop, swell or kelp they didn't.

I found if anything caused me to lose speed (chop, kelp, etc), the kite lost power (less apparent wind) and I would have to head down wind to avoid sinking. The high aspect ratio kites didn't have the grunt that you could fly the kite to generate power. You had to get your board speed back up and then head back up wind.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 am

I own 2013 NRG 16m. Didn't have many sessions with it tho, using TT only, flat water.
Relaunches easier than 2013 12m VX but do not forget, it hasn't got a middle strut which might be a pain in surf.
Heavy tho - 6.5kg. I recon that's due a lot of paint but it looks beautiful:)
Quality wise I think LF is one of the best ie. the bar is top notch, swivel works 95% of time, lines are off one peace (not like the VX), the BIG valve is the best I've used, stitching well done, etc.
Also LW NRG has got lines extensions 7m (hm, not sure 7, 5 or what).
I am now using only LF bar with all kites. Below the bar cleat suits me. Ultra easy conversion to 5 lines.

Do not like a bag. Difficult to use with such a big kite.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 am

better than words but I think the Zephry is a better kite and a lot more expensive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpJKuBZ19M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjtHfpNynjs

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:41 am

I have a fat lady V2 and have extensively flown the older zephyrs, but never the NRG. It sounds to me like your conditions require a kite with the best static grunt. Kites that require board speed can be a real pain where i kite when we get light dead on shore winds with swell, as you can't get up to speed before you are washed back up the beach.
The order they these kites will deliver this in will be Fat Lady, zephyr, NRG, this is also the same order for turning speed and un hooked ability. You can reverse this for jumping ability and up wind, and heist board speeds and top end. The V2 fat lady is better then the old Zeph up wind and very close to the new one from what I have seen.
As Westozzy says kite design is about trade offs and they are all good kites, I haven't flown the Nrg or the new Z but have flown next to both with people who I know well. Demo if you can.

Return to “Kitesurfing”