Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Labs

Postby davesails7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote:@ davesails7 - Thanks for the kind comments. Personally, I think speculating on the used market of any product is risky when making a buying decision. It should be based on quality, performance, support and 'bang for the buck.' Based on our lab and on-the-water testing there is also a good chance the Nitro3 (along with the new Controller2 bar) outperforms and outlasts those other kites. What then??? :thumb:
Definitely! I haven't gotten a chance to try out the Nitro line yet, but if they perform better than my current kites, I would definitely be interested regardless of price differences. It does sound like a kite I would like according to reviews I have read.

I stayed away from the original Nitro because I heard the bar pressure was on the high side (which I don't like), but I read that the Nitro II bar pressure was lower. Will the bar pressure on the III be about the same as the II?

Will the new bar release to a single front line? When will the new bar be available?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 pm

I smoothed and shaped the hole in my Switch bar shortly after I got it.
It looked like it needed work and was going to wear the rope quickly, it ran a lot better after a tune up.
Some bars I've gotten have better quality depower rope than others.
The Ocean Rodeo ones are excellent.

Bill - I see that the donkey stick has been changed on the new bar.
By any chance, will the new stick go into the hole in the original body?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 pm

H.A - some people are real kiters, and some people are penny pinchers. When decisions are made purely for resale value - you can gurantee their heart is just not into kitesurfing...
I could never live with myself knowing I just had a ride on an awesome kite, and then bought a ho hum model - 'whichever' way around the price goes...
Many people are just lawnmowers or arent skilled enough to get the Maximum potential out of a kite - thus performance is never truly realised and the $ overules their decisions. Each to their own as 'always' :)

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby experienced1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 pm

just curious how you guys do math? ZigZag, I thought , sd he got 158 sesssions and averages about an hour each...so how does that equal 300-400 hours? :=)
steve

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:H.A - some people are real kiters, and some people are penny pinchers. When decisions are made purely for resale value - you can gurantee their heart is just not into kitesurfing...
I could never live with myself knowing I just had a ride on an awesome kite, and then bought a ho hum model - 'whichever' way around the price goes...
Many people are just lawnmowers or arent skilled enough to get the Maximum potential out of a kite - thus performance is never truly realised and the $ overules their decisions. Each to their own as 'always' :)
I'm not sure if I'm the penny pincher you're referring to? If so, I think you misunderstood my posts. It is worth it to me to pay extra for a kite i like more, but only to a point. There are a lot of good kites available, so I do take price into consideration.

Not that I think there is anything wrong with being the "penny pincher" you describe. I disagree that you have to completely ignore price or "you can guarantee their heart is just not into kitesurfing." I do love kiting, but money is nice too :D

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your sarcasm or something.

Also sorry to everyone else for going way off topic here :thumb:

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:07 am

davesails7 wrote:
If you buy the 16m Nitro 3 for around $1200 complete and go to sell it a year later, you'll probably get $500. You'd probably get around $1200 for the used Ozone Edge 15m complete. So one year on the Ozone cost you $1050, one year on the Switch was $700. Get an end of season deal on a 2013 Ozone, and you'd be at the same cost over a year or better.
Can you do the maths for me on this:

I buy a great performing kite that jumps well $900.
Its been used a hell of a lot - in surf over the falls / flatwater, tricks, megaloops n crashes and beaten black n blue..
Ive used that kite for 3.5 years and it is still going strong and out jumping some new 2014 kites...
Because they got the 'Design' right, its still up there with the latest most Expensive brands
It may be worth 200$ or even $1.

What is the saving for me - because the 'Model' was well designed in the first place ???
and yes I demo various continually to make sure im not missing out :thumb:

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:18 am

@ davesails7 - Nitro3 is much different than the previous Nitro versions. Biggest viisible change is wingtip geometry and simpler no pulley/slider fixed bridle. You can expect much improved range and de-power with no center line pull when sheeted out, quicker more responsive turns, better control especially when sheeted out or running downwind, better float in jumps, better stability. Excellent upwind and boost with low-medium bar pressure. The pluses of the earlier Nitros are retained and the minuses eliminated. I believe the improvements to the Nitro3 are the most significant advances made to any of the Switch kite models. We are very excited about it. Nitro3 including new 6sqm size is in production and will be available in short order along with the new bar and website.

The new bar has multiple safety options including release to one line. :thumb:

@ oldnbroken - Most Controller2 components are retrofitable to the earlier bar including the new donkey dick/stick. :thumb:

@ all - new Switch Lab video: http://vimeo.com/78881372

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Look forward to the new donkey dick and the single line release conversion kit. :mosh:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote:
@ all - new Switch Lab video: http://vimeo.com/78881372
Hi Bill
One of the reasons I didn't buy switch bars or wait for the new one cause I heard you were still using the cleat. The reason why I don't want a bar with a cleat is my wife finds it difficult to pull the rope out of the cleat especially when the rope gets sucked into the cleat as your video shows. Will you be working on solving this issue? Have you considered offering a retro fit kit which includes a pull/pull instead? I've done this on my own bars already but sure would be nice if a kit was available.

Thanks for 1. testing things 2. publishing your tests, really means a lot and shows you are confident in your product.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Laughingman:
We believe the cleat version is superior for a number of reasons assuming it works properly. Your concern is genuine given that not all cleat/rope combinations require the same effort. We have the ability to test and determine the actual 'de-cleat' force required and insure it works properly for any person. There is no retrofit kit for a pull/pull intended at the moment.
Laughingman wrote:The reason why I don't want a bar with a cleat is my wife finds it difficult to pull the rope out of the cleat especially when the rope gets sucked into the cleat as your video shows. Will you be working on solving this issue? Have you considered offering a retro fit kit which includes a pull/pull instead? I've done this on my own bars already but sure would be nice if a kit was available.
Thanks! We believe proper scientific testing is also vital for consumer confidence. :thumb:
Laughingman wrote:Thanks for 1. testing things 2. publishing your tests, really means a lot and shows you are confident in your product.

Return to “Kitesurfing”