Forum for kitesurfers
heinzbush
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NRG, Fat Lady, and Zephyr

Postby heinzbush » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:20 pm

I dont want to highjack the thread, but just a comment on the weight that u are mentioning as an important aspect of light wind performance:

I put my Contra 17 on the scale and it weighed 3.9kg which I think is very impressive and gives u an indication on the low end performance (if my "household" scale is fairly accurate)! That is actually less than the Turbine 2013.

So far I am really really impressed with it! Great low-end, turning speed, upwind angle and high-end (my next kite is a 12)... I could not be happier... Will post a more detailed review when I have more time in a separate thread...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Yes I would agree for ultra light wind kites I wouldn't put the zephyr in that category as I have said. If you want that real ultra light wind, then consider other options. While I can get out when others can't on say a 12m sized kite, we are still out a lot together, they are on a light wind board option. Thing is I'm lit, on my normal sized TT and the stability of the NEW zephyr allows you to practise all your hooked and unhooked tricks. It is also functional in the waves (but no core or fat lady). If the wind does spike or pick up (and in my experience, apart from a nice thermal Seabreeze it always does) then you are still crankin and smiling, and the other 12m riders are then on their normal boards. Also the zephyr is a kite that grows on you and to me must be ridden on the shortest knot, changes the whole kite.

It really depends on what you want.

As I said before, for this guys targeted wind range and board selection I think their are better options.

Jinx
Rare Poster

Postby Jinx » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 am

Its hard to give a kite a bad rap by saying you ride up to a kiter on "kite A" who is self rescuing on "kite B" light wind kiting is an art that not all kiters can accomplish with ease!
I have not ridden the Turbine but it looks like a good LW option.

I have spent a bit of time on all these kites and here is what i though after riding;

NRG - although heavier than the rest (due to tough build quality) still performs well, not as easy to get out of the water in super light winds. stays in the air surprisingly well for its extra weight.

Blade FL - My personal favourite, super light build, good relaunch, stays in the air easily and rides similar to the Trigger so you will get the most out of flying the kite - good technique will allow this kite to excel.

Zephyr - turns well, lighter than the NRG but heavier than the FL, relaunch ok. does not live up to the low end hype IMO. does have a higher end game to the FL but not as much range as the NRG.

If you put a longer bar on the FL (same length as the NRG and Zephyr) it out turns both these kites for the lightwind kiter who wants fast turning. You can also tune the rear knots on the kite to take away the choked feeling by moving the top attachment down 1/2 way between the factory setting.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:11 am

Jinx what's the top end of the NRG at your weight and with what board?

fly2mark
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Pismo
Style: twin tip, Directional
Gear: 7.5, 9.5, 13.5 Best Kahoona 2011
12m Nash cult 09
CrazyFly Allaround 2011
Crazy Shox Custom 2012
Airush SectorV2

Postby fly2mark » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:17 am

I know your looking for a light wind kite. Im 6'1 about 220lbs/ 100kg with gear. I ride a full quiver of BWS V2's. That said my largest kite is the 12/14m. I kite in San Diego to the Central coast of Cali. I bought a Airush Sector V60. AMAZING! Its not quite a race board however it will get you out in those lighter winds when everybode else is on the beach. When the wind picks up... Just grab your surfboard or any other smaller board. Dont get stuck thinking you need a bigger kite when you can buy a light wind board for about the same price or less. Just another thought. The board will last longer than the kite and get you more days on the water.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:35 am

Ah this old chest nut. Only need a 12/14m kite thingy....been there, done that, several times, don't stuff around, get a big kite.

But he has a great point, talk of a big kite should also come with the talk of an efficient board like a sector. They go hand in hand.

Just becuase you have a kite with say 3m larger than a 14m doesnt mean you will get the same incremental power as say from a 9 to a 12 or a 6 to a 9. This is due the old power the square of the wind velocity thingy.

Basically not much power pouring over a wing at 9 knots, regardless of its size. Hence needs ot be paired with an efficient board to help maximise the limited power in the wind.

A light wind kite without a light wind efficient board can mean a lot of money spent on a kite with only a few knots return.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 pm

You R 85 kgs plus. You should get a surfboard or lightwind surfboard and a 17 m kite.
Im 80 kg and ride a Core XR2 17m O. A 5-8 Slingshot celeritas. Yes, a Good 14 would work, but i have so much more HP in those light winds. This kite also has exceptional depower and control depowered, so im out in 18-20 knots too if wind increases. I think its worth it.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 pm

a few days ago I was using my 16 NRG 2014 kite. The wind was below 10 knots. I had to walked to go upwind to recover the lost ground. The other kite on the water was a 17 Zypher 2013 and he didn't have to walk. We both were on big boards. I am not sure if it was the extra 1 meter but the Zypher has more power. Also I love my NRG kite.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:42 pm

fly2mark wrote:I know your looking for a light wind kite. Im 6'1 about 220lbs/ 100kg with gear. I ride a full quiver of BWS V2's. That said my largest kite is the 12/14m. I kite in San Diego to the Central coast of Cali. I bought a Airush Sector V60. AMAZING! Its not quite a race board however it will get you out in those lighter winds when everybode else is on the beach. When the wind picks up... Just grab your surfboard or any other smaller board. Dont get stuck thinking you need a bigger kite when you can buy a light wind board for about the same price or less. Just another thought. The board will last longer than the kite and get you more days on the water.
Thanks, but we have some pretty large kelp beds where I kite so the fins on the large race boards would get caught up in the kelp. Same for a directional, but some guys ride them with kelp fins.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:04 am

ciscokitesurfer wrote:a few days ago I was using my 16 NRG 2014 kite. The wind was below 10 knots. I had to walked to go upwind to recover the lost ground. The other kite on the water was a 17 Zypher 2013 and he didn't have to walk. We both were on big boards. I am not sure if it was the extra 1 meter but the Zypher has more power. Also I love my NRG kite.

Wow that is a surprise. There you go. You heavier than that guy? What boards were in place?

Bit me, then you need to look into some LW TTs then as well.

The core is a great option to.

Return to “Kitesurfing”