Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need your thoughts on selling pre ~2005 C kite please.

Forum for kitesurfers
TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake
Style: Teabagging
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need your thoughts on selling pre ~2005 C kite please.

Postby TeabagVic » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 am

I would like to do a poll and also have a general feeling of people thoughts on someone trying to sell pre 2005 old C Kite?

It is extremely important that only people that have started kiteboarding since at least 2003 (or before) until now, and have experience the kite and boards evolution to answer this. If you learned 200-2005 and quit since then, please do not answer because you do not know how much gear as improve (or you haven't experienced it), same goes for the opposite, you do not know how much gear s### back then. (or haven't experienced it)

The poll is very easy, 3 questions only:

1: Would you, if you get your hand on a free old C kite, give it to a close relative (father, mother, sister, brother, daughter, son) to learn on? Yes or No

2: Would you, if you get your hand on a free old C kite, give it to a friend or distant relative to learn on? Yes or No

3: Would you, if you get your hand on a free old C kite, give it to a stranger to learn on? Yes or No

For me the answers are:

1: No
2: No
3: No

As for my thoughts, I ll try to do a resume in a proper English and more technical from some post on our local forum. Basically, the main reasons why I find that it is not "ok", or not cool at all to sell old C kite (pre 2005) are:
- Depower: (there wasn't much at all!!!)
- Safety Release: (Including kite behaviour/amount of power after safety release, ouch!!!)
- Bladder wont hold air for long (if they do) any more: Glue Bladder/Valve connection, after all these years...
- Relaunch: .................... Thanks to technology improvement!!!
- Safety Video/Advice on Forum: Lots of safety advice on forum or learning video are based on current technology, not the old technology. Let go the bar on an old C Kite...ouch, pull safety release for complete depower on a old C Kite... good luck with that
- Seeing people kiteboarding in gusty condition like it is nothing might push the poor beginner to think that it is ok for him/her to kite in these conditions with his old CKite...
- Boards: Going upwind on these old boards was/is soo much difficult, so much work, not enjoyable at all, especially for a beginner...
- Price: There are sooo many 2008-2010 kites at $150-$325 range, yes they are quite used but better than a brand new old C kite...

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts and/or answers to the small poll, Ian

Loscocco
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy, Ocean Beach, Sherman Island, Alameda, 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Mexico, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Vancouver Island Canada, Vietnam, Peru
Style: hard
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Team Rider

Re: Need your thoughts on selling pre ~2005 C kite please.

Postby Loscocco » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:48 am

No
No
and No

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:23 am

1. Nope
2. Depends on how much I dislike the distant relative. :argue:
3. No

Not only do you have the issue of the limited safety and functionality of a pre-2005 kite, there is also the good possibility that the quality of the material is likely to be degraded as well.

I have to say that I really enjoy kiteboarding much more since 2008 and the adoption of the SLE or bow style kites.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 am

YES to all for my closest enemys :naughty:

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:53 am

Depends.... 5 line?
How's it fly?
Slow and stable? or fast and deadly?

I learned on 2005 C kites and they were not scary in the slightest. Slow, stable 5 line and hard to get in trouble with. Would recommend that one to anyone I knew. for beating the crap out of while learning or snow kiting. .

4 line no way.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 am

i slice mine up before i put them in the bin.

a friend once sold an older c kite to a dude (i found out later) - i saw something out the corner of my eye flying through the air super fast, it started raining hard i wnet o check up on a hunch - i found him with his head split open unable to move ankle size of a balloon (broke a fence)! - hospital 2 days - flew 30-40 m through fence headfirst into park.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 am

Stranger no(i'd sell it ha), but friend maybe, depends on the personallity and wether i thought they could handle it. Not always a negative learning on older gear, can help establish a greater respect for the wind which can lead to a more competent kiter further down the line.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 am

I´m a relatively new kiter and learn in modern gear, on the questions - No, No, No

in any case was given a ~2002 / 2003 (?) fuel and finnaly had the oppurtunity to play with it a bit this last week-end

initial impression is that it works in a smaller AOA range than modern gear, it is less stable and asks for a more active pilot. But in any case still need to trim the kite better

On the de-power front it was clear it does not as much as modern gear. As i was with a skim edging was not so easy, but think in a TT would handle it without much issues

Still need to get more time in the water before having a stronger oppinion, for sure there are differences but honestly didn´t seem to be such a big deal

PS - did use a modern bar

indosafe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre
Style: Old school
Gear: Naish Torch

Postby indosafe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:00 am

Big old C are Ok 12 and + for studdy wind or Tropical location ( dry season only :D ).

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 am

Small early Cs make great high wind kites, super stable, responsive, good feedback and you can edge out gusts very easy, I was using a 2004 Airush 6m up until recently as my high wind kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”