Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Source for Q-Powerline?

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: Source for Q-Powerline?

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:48 pm

You cant splice Q-power lines... it has a sheath around it and doesnt hollow in the middle like normal line.

As far as centre line flag out through a swivel goes - I'll take a pick of my custom bar tomorrow, to show how you get it to work by sleeving it... I used the latest liquid force ceramic swivel.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:40 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:Jonny - if not marketing hype then how did we manage to kite yesteryear without all lines snapping ???

The same way people flew 2 line kites with no safety release....bravely.....because you had nothing better......With other options available now, would this STILL be a good idea?

The factors of safety regarding safe working loads on ropes is designed so that they DON'T break. when you start operating between SWL and Breaking load, you gotta start worrying about a lot of the little things and how they interact and add up. It's not that it WILL break, it's just that you shouldn't act surprised when it does.

I've snapped my shave of "600lb" stock kite lines that were not even heavily aged.
(albeit all from the same kite manufacturer) so going lower than that doesn't inspire much confidence.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Yea fair enough comment

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:37 am

edt wrote:that's a brummel splice in the above video even tho it locks the splice down better than any other splice you pay for it with about 10% weaker splice than a more simple class 1 splice where you just stuff the rope inside and don't pass it thru. To finish if it has to go thru a safety system, you lock it with by sewing some lock stitches if it doesn't have to pass thru anything narrow lock it with a zacher knot.

That's really the only problem with q-powerline it doesn't fit thru most single center line flagging systems.

amsteel blue has some pdf's that show how to do all the various splices, the zacher knot I mirrored online you can google it to see how to do a zacher knot.

for q-powerline you want to end both sides with a figure 8 loop and after that attach pigtails to end in a knot or a loop depending.

q-powerline is pretty stiff and is a hassle to lark's head on a kite, that's why you want to finish with a pigtail, but I have never had it harm the bridle when I have used it raw, just a pain to take on and off.

Ah got ya now, cheers.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 am

Adding my experience

- I have a set of Q-power used for 10 years mainly weekends heavy uses not just park and ride - still totally useable, I think it got a little stretchy and spongy otherwise it's fine. Great stuff.
- This set has figure of 8 loops for tying to the kite's pigtail, no problem to the kite pigtails or the Q-power line. Definitely no need for sleeving or pigtails but go ahead if that's your thing
- You can definitely fly on 300lb lines but you are taking great chances for no measurable benefit. How about if you get dragged underwater with 1 or 2 lines under tension... crash a landing... 100 things could go wrong and you could snap a line and get a death loop. Totally not worth it.

There's lots of posts on the forum on how to tie Q-power properly, a search will bring it up.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:31 am

Heres a little something for you unedumacated natives on line forces.

A line can break anytime regardless of strength - its called mass production... thinner lines weaker ? re-read the sentence :wink2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... w-fyN7wjN4

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:57 am

This the knot Q-Powerline recommends (and I use too):
knot.gif
knot.gif (25.1 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
I always attach pigtails to the lines to connect to the kite's knots and loops.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”