Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

EpicKites 4G

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:02 am

Hello Krazedkiter.
The Red cover of the CL doesn't need to go all the way up to be able to release the loop. If you test it you will see there is no problem at all. And what stops the cover to go all the way up is the grey spectra line that goes all the way to the Depower Strap. Now if you want to replace the loop, all you have to do is pull out the grey spectra line out a little and then push the red cover more up. By doing so, it will give you more space bellow in order to unhook the loop and replace it.
This video and 2 pictures might help you understand.
Let me know if you need more help.

YOUTUBE:
Attachments
IMG_1801 2.jpg
IMG_1800 1.jpg

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Krazedkiter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 am

OK thanks for the quick responses. I will continue to test it out.

One suggestion though. I looked at other bars on-line to see if this was the case for other bars as well. The ones I looked at seemed to depict the same connection configuration but the rope was flush into the CL assembly and the cuff could slide over and would be stopped by a more fitted stopping mechanism such as a flat lip above the swivel.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Krazedkiter,
I don't want any sharp objects or something that would hurt part of your hand when engaging the CL. So the way Momi and I did it was the cleanest and most safe. And trust me I have been working on it for 2 years now with lots of feed back from tons of kites out there.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Understood. So just consider me an ounce out of those tons of kiters you got feedback from. I'm a kiter also.

The red cuff moves up only about 1 inch because that spectra line is in the way. My first impression when I pushed the cuff up was that there is something wrong. Perception is a concern and can make you believe something is not what it actually is.

I personally believe that the cuff and swivel above it should be designed to allow the cuff to completely slide up and over the swivel. It simply feels awkward to me that the spectra line is what stops the cuff from going up so little.

Also, looking at why the spectra line does not go flush into the swivel, there is a very narrow lip there that prevents the line from going flush. Is there any increased line wear at that pressure point?

I'm not an Epic basher so don't feel like I'm doing this in that way. I'm just someone who recently acquired the product and am providing my feedback.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Dimitri,

The new bar and quick release look very good. Rugged, robust and very easy to reset.

Two questions:

1. Did you test the release under a very heavy load to see if it still releases easily?

2. Some quick releases are prone to "accidental release". Is there any issue with that happening?

Thanks,

Ed

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 am

Dimitri,
The new bar and quick release look very good. Rugged, robust and very easy to reset.
Two questions:
1. Did you test the release under a very heavy load to see if it still releases easily?
2. Some quick releases are prone to "accidental release". Is there any issue with that happening?
Thanks,
Ed
Hello ed257,
If you check this video bellow testing the prototype 4G CHICKEN LOOP, you will see some action footage of me using the SCREAMER 10 LTD in (22 to 31 knots). (Check time line 8:40 to 10:50 so you get an idea). You will see that I am releasing the CL perfectly well and killing the kite in very strong wind. I was over powered that day but I was still testing to see how the prototype CL will operate in these strong winds. That CL prototype was almost a year and half ago. Since then we have made it even better. But the only problem in these strong winds, is when you are trying to reload the CL so the kite can relaunch. You have to be very careful and pay attention to your hands when holding the CL with one hand while the Red line is getting fed through the CL very fast because if you don't pay attention you can burn your skin by holding the red line too tight. (Check time line 9:50 to 9:57 to get an idea of what I am talking about). But once again the only time I will engage the CL is when I am in trouble and need to kill the kite or land the kite. Usually after that most kiters will be done with kiting and no need to reset the CL and have the kite waiting for them at the edge of the window like what you see on this video.

YOUTUBE:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Hello Guys,
I know few of you have been waiting for the NEOPRENE JACKET to be available since we sold out. So as you can see they are almost done and will be ready in 2 weeks. So please contact us at: info@epickites.com for your order. Thank you.
Attachments
hanging02.jpg

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Well I have put the 3G screamer 10m through all sorts of different conditions and I can say that it is definitely a kite that has lived up to the hype. Light wind, well underpowered, overpowered and in the sweet spot..... definitely a one kite quiver if you need to travel light. Well made, responsive steering and just solid in the sky. I have felt comfortable on 10m from the first moment and it felt like I had been flying this kite for years. It is definitely a kite flyers kite. The more aggressive that you are with this kite the better that it feels. I haven't tried the Judge kite but from what I have read from others is that the 10m Ltd has its DNA. I would like to see how the Judge compares to the other kites that I use as I have been impressed with what limited things that I have seen from Epic kites. I am not a Rep or Team rider as I buy my kites with no discount. I just happen to really like this kite and realize that this kite might not be for everyone but people need to give it an honest go. I was skeptical at first and just figured that they were over hyped but I am glad to see that Epic is on to something special with this one!

James

I look forward in eventually trying some of the new 4G kites that are out and seeing how they compare with the one that I own. I am still on the fence with the 4G 10m screamer and if they have changed it (and they have), I cannot see how I can possibly like it better than the 3G that i currently own. The new bar looks great and I would like to compare it to the old Epic bar as well as my north and Ozone bars. It is the Judge kites that still hold my attention and it would be nice to try both the 3G and 4G to do a comparison. The joy of any sport is trying all the different gear that you can. It is nice to see how the gear is progressing as well as seeing how it all compares to your current quiver. I may have not liked every kite that I have tried but I did enjoy the whole testing experience!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Rocky Chatwell enjoying the SCREAMER models. :thumb:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 am

Great turn out today for the EPIC demo I had in Fort De Soto park near TAMPA Florida. It was blowing (20 to 35mph). These are the kites I had in the water for people to test: RENEGADE 6.5 / RENEGADE 9 / SCREAMER 9 and SCREAMER 10. It was very windy and very gusty. I was the only one of the SCREAMER 10 because that was the only kite left for me to take out. Every body else was on the SCREAMER 9, RENEGADE 6.5 and RENEGADE 9. And all of them had a big smile on their face after giving the kite to some one else to demo. Few of them had to call their friends to come and try it because they were so impressed.
These are some pictures of today's demo.
Attachments
IMG_3965 1.jpg
G0050144 13.jpg
DSC_0042 10.jpg
DSC_0050 11.jpg
DSC_0024 8.jpg
G0060163 14.jpg
DSC_0006 3.jpg
DSC_0049 9.jpg
DSC_0014 4.jpg
DSC_0015 6.jpg
DSC_0028 7.jpg