Kite pump

Forum for kitesurfers
nafets
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite pump

Postby nafets » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:00 am

Hey guys,

I got a kite recently without a pump. So I am now looking to buy a proper high volume one. Where I live there isnt any kite gear, so I limited to buying one online. I found this one on ebay, and wanted to hear your opinion on it. There are many others, some branded or not, but i do not want to spend double the cost of the pump on shipping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000cc-Double ... 1210305223

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Kite pump

Postby NYKiter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:39 pm

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:19 pm

NYKiter wrote:Image
Thanks for the response. It is really helpful

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 pm

A cheap pump like a Coleman is the most cost effective solution, make sure it is double action and has appropriate nozzles for your kite. After you get it drill the base and add a line to clip to your kite while you are pumping. Not sure about the pump you are looking at on eBay, in the US Amazon is a good bet for cheap pumps.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:49 pm

William Munney wrote:A cheap pump like a Coleman is the most cost effective solution, make sure it is double action and has appropriate nozzles for your kite. After you get it drill the base and add a line to clip to your kite while you are pumping. Not sure about the pump you are looking at on eBay, in the US Amazon is a good bet for cheap pumps.
Yeah in the US, the Kwiktek pumps on amazon are the way to go. $12 with free shipping. Exact same pump as the ones the kite companies sell, but for 1/4 of the price. Not sure if they are available in the UK though.

Not sure if coleman makes a few different pumps, but the one I had was kinda cheap and flimsy.

nafets
Medium Poster

Postby nafets » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Well yes, free shipping but only to the US :) And to europe it costs around 50 usd :D And I know i am not paying that. I will look for some other good deals online, or maybe get in contact with some friends to help me find one. In the meantime, if anyone knows anything about this one, i would like to hear their opinion

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm

davesails7 wrote:
William Munney wrote:A cheap pump like a Coleman is the most cost effective solution, make sure it is double action and has appropriate nozzles for your kite. After you get it drill the base and add a line to clip to your kite while you are pumping. Not sure about the pump you are looking at on eBay, in the US Amazon is a good bet for cheap pumps.
Yeah in the US, the Kwiktek pumps on amazon are the way to go. $12 with free shipping. Exact same pump as the ones the kite companies sell, but for 1/4 of the price. Not sure if they are available in the UK though.

Not sure if coleman makes a few different pumps, but the one I had was kinda cheap and flimsy.
I have both here, they are almost identical. The hoses are a bit lightweight, but so are most kite pump hoses. Kwiktek is the one that is cheap on Amazon now.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:40 pm

the pumps themselves are all pretty much the same

only thing to really look at is the valve attachment on the hose, i got one that had a threaded attachment point so you could only use the ones that come with the pump. most seem to be the same universal thing that kite pumps use

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 am

My experience... don't buy a pump with the air intake near the base (where it sucks up sand when you pump).

:( :( :( :( :(

Now I tape a piece of cloth as intake valve filter even if it's high up away from sand

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:07 am

I've been using this SUP pump since last winter and its really easy to get the kite
pumped up to those upper pressures without any strain on the back.
It pumps on the down stroke only.

http://www.seaeagle.com/accessories/pumps/sup-pump

Return to “Kitesurfing”