Maui Kitebeach to be banned !

Forum for kitesurfers
wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned !

Postby wedge » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Here is what I did guys.

I called a big hotel on Maui (hotel name withheld). I said I calling to book two weeks in their hotel, but had heard rumor of a windsurfing ban. Being the clueless traveler, I asked them to get some information on the ban and get back to me. I said if windsurfing was indeed banned, I would most likely be canceling.

So, if the big name hotels start calling the local officials, talking about losing business, it will put even more pressure on the officials to keep the ban very limited.

Haole_Built
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Crissy Field, SFO
Sherman Island, CA
Style: Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Airush Kites, Firewire Surfboard, F-One Surfboard, Airush Converse Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Haole_Built » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:33 pm

stephen1500 wrote:In addition to the petition, I recommend contacting our legislators directly. Those of us who live here on Maui should definitely write these representatives. Let them know you live here and you want these swim zones revised.

Those of you who don't live here, but who travel here, spending your good money here, should also write and let the legislators know that you could choose to go elsewhere and spend your money elsewhere.

You should all encourage changing swim zones to recognize that kitesurfing (and windsurfing too) have become popular after these zones were established, and that Kanaha Beach Park has unique conditions that make it a world famous spot for these sports. You should encourage compromise, providing swim zones in some areas without impairing access. Please be polite.

Here are the email addresses of all of our Maui legislators. You can easily copy and paste this list:

senbaker@capitol.hawaii.gov; senenglish@capitol.hawaii.gov; senkeithagaran@capitol.hawaii.gov; repwoodson@capitol.hawaii.gov; repcarroll@capitol.hawaii.gov; reping@capitol.hawaii.gov; repmckelvey@capitol.hawaii.gov; repsouki@capitol.hawaii.gov; repyamashita@capitol.hawaii.gov

Also, please contact the governor too. I don't have his email address but here is his online contact page:

http://governor.hawaii.gov/forms/contact/
Governor Abercrombie email: gov@gov.state.hi.us

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:42 pm

wedge wrote:Here is what I did guys.

I called a big hotel on Maui (hotel name withheld). I said I calling to book two weeks in their hotel, but had heard rumor of a windsurfing ban. Being the clueless traveler, I asked them to get some information on the ban and get back to me. I said if windsurfing was indeed banned, I would most likely be canceling.

So, if the big name hotels start calling the local officials, talking about losing business, it will put even more pressure on the officials to keep the ban very limited.
Brilliant Strategy !!
Should work ; all the hotels should be called.

Bille

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:15 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loosescrew
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Old Mans Maui
Gear: Airush

Postby loosescrew » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:48 am

=If that were actually the case, and the only cause, I'd have much less sympathy for them than I do. But the problem is the agitations of a little family of selfish trolls, creating trouble where there isn't really any...
Look I am in the front of this fight with first hand and involved communications. You people just don't get it. This was one incident by a kiter that set this on fire. Again, I express the importance of unity with your fellow ocean users. Don't be a dick. Think about respect for those around you, the ocean, waves and access. Let's face it - we as a group fucked up. The Director of DLNR doesn't even like us so we have a big disadvantage. All other groups and I have to say primarily the windsurfers have been hitting this proposal of enforcement hard. Who on the kite side has taken their own action? Can someone actually step forward? What are we doing as a group to turn this around? Do you honestly think a generic petition will influence these people?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:04 am

Is the kiting association on Maui working on this? If so, could someone PM their contact info to me. The people I worked with years ago on the FAA ban have moved on. I know some of the shops are involved because that is how I heard about this in the first place. When the kiting ban came up on Oahu a few years back we started an avalanche of emails and petition signatures, likely a good deal of pressure behinds the scenes too. That one worked out although the circumstances were somewhat different. I agree, I believe kiters need to be involved in an effective way on the island right up there with the windsurfers. We all have skin in this fight one way or the other.

loosescrew wrote:
=If that were actually the case, and the only cause, I'd have much less sympathy for them than I do. But the problem is the agitations of a little family of selfish trolls, creating trouble where there isn't really any...
Look I am in the front of this fight with first hand and involved communications. You people just don't get it. This was one incident by a kiter that set this on fire. Again, I express the importance of unity with your fellow ocean users. Don't be a dick. Think about respect for those around you, the ocean, waves and access. Let's face it - we as a group fucked up. The Director of DLNR doesn't even like us so we have a big disadvantage. All other groups and I have to say primarily the windsurfers have been hitting this proposal of enforcement hard. Who on the kite side has taken their own action? Can someone actually step forward? What are we doing as a group to turn this around? Do you honestly think a generic petition will influence these people?

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:48 am

Doesn't Obama kite? Maybe he could pull some strings. :cool2: :idea:

Haole_Built
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Crissy Field, SFO
Sherman Island, CA
Style: Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Airush Kites, Firewire Surfboard, F-One Surfboard, Airush Converse Surfboard

Postby Haole_Built » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:22 am

flyingweasel wrote:
wedge wrote:Here is what I did guys.

Well thats the hotels not wanting kiters and windsurfers now. Nothing new there!!

In fact I think I will have to email this to the govenor/hotels etc. See if there is some remittance

Right on Bille, totally brilliant strategy, why not contact all the hotels :roll:

You lot are sooooooo new to politics....babes in the wood. Its a wonder you dont pay for air...

Please never feel the need to assist me with absolutely anything.

With friends like these....who need enemies?

Just cant get the help these days...

Lol...

I reckon the govenor et al are goin to be well pleased with an inbox
full of idle threats.

Isn't it time to man up and take this one on the chin?
Speaking of which...was a formal apology ever made to the swimmers?

Lol...I'm a kiter, launch me....
What a condescending twat you are...unless you have something constructive to add to this, I would like to ask you to kindly STFU.
Last edited by Haole_Built on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Haole_Built wrote:
flyingweasel wrote: Well thats the hotels not wanting kiters and windsurfers now. Nothing new there!!

In fact I think I will have to email this to the govenor/hotels etc. See if there is some remittance

Right on Bille, totally brilliant strategy, why not contact all the hotels :roll:

You lot are sooooooo new to politics....babes in the wood. Its a wonder you dont pay for air...

Please never feel the need to assist me with absolutely anything.

With friends like these....who need enemies?

Just cant get the help these days...

Lol...

I reckon the govenor et al are goin to be well pleased with an inbox
full of idle threats.

Isn't it time to man up and take this one on the chin?
Speaking of which...was a formal apology ever made to the swimmers?

Lol...I'm a kiter, launch me....
What a condescending twat you are...unless you have something constructive to add to this, I would like ask you to kindly STFU.
You ask the impossible! :)

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I have signed the petition but could we have a brief re-cap please of what areas from the picture in the original post are now going to be enforced? Is every part of the visible beaches on the original post going to now exclude water craft? If there are 'some' launch / landing spots it might be useful to know where they are so we can get it in context.

I do fly off a couple of restricted beaches where I would like to have more freedom but I'm happy enough that there isn't an outright ban...

It is also worth remembering that regardless of traffic restrictions you can always land anywhere in an emergency. That's a fundamental rule of the sea. Just don't push the definition of emergency too far.

Return to “Kitesurfing”