Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Where to get line sleeving in bulk?

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:13 am

Hey guys, was wondering where to get kite line sleeving in bulk.
I use this regularly and stitch up my own lines
http://www.fixmykite.com/proddetail.asp ... eeving_kit

Works a treat, however they only send you 4. Restringing a 5 line takes at least 10-12, that's like 21 bucks for a restring, a considerable portion of the total cost. Plus shipping is pretty high to get these to my door compared to their value.

There must be rolls of whatever this is out there somewhere that I can likely get for cheaper.
I've got rolls of line, just need a better source on the sleeving.

Before someone suggests it I'm already using q-power line (thanks for the suggestion though) but I prefer to sleeve and stitch the ends. I don't like running my kite lines with knots on the end as it makes em a tangled mess.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Where to get line sleeving in bulk?

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 am

polyester "parachute cord" from hardware stores, <$10 for 50ft.
Cut to desired length, pull straight inner core out of braided cover.
Apply to kite lines.
Not as beautiful as color-coordinated kits perhaps, but I have used it many times, works fine!

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Torch
Neo's

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Waitress! Beer to the fellow at the other end of that keyboard!!!
:cheers:

If I can't find any at the local store what's the diameter of preference so I can mail order?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I've only seen one diameter, approx. 2.5 mm I think. Strength is usually "50lbs"
But the sleeving on factory made kite lines seems slimmer, so if you have a choice, probably the thinner one would be the one to try first. The everyday cord I see is slightly bulkier but it works.

Next time I customize lines though I hope they will be all 4 800# spectra with no need for any sleeving anywhere.
It has to be the 12 strand braid which expands for splicing.
The 600# kite lines lines in my experience are 10 strand and don't make a tunnel when you try to expand them. :(
I am rather tired of how the sleeving tends to hang up and encourage twists etc.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

BWD wrote:I've only seen one diameter, approx. 2.5 mm I think. Strength is usually "50lbs"
But the sleeving on factory made kite lines seems slimmer, so if you have a choice, probably the thinner one would be the one to try first. The everyday cord I see is slightly bulkier but it works.

Next time I customize lines though I hope they will be all 4 800# spectra with no need for any sleeving anywhere.
It has to be the 12 strand braid which expands for splicing.
The 600# kite lines lines in my experience are 10 strand and don't make a tunnel when you try to expand them. :(
I am rather tired of how the sleeving tends to hang up and encourage twists etc.
bwd as far as I know the 600's are also 12 strand and I have no trouble splicing them, all manufacturers, no problem. I have not seen a 10 strand 600 pound line yet.

My fid is made from a sharpened bicycle spoke, I tape the line to the end, it goes thru really nice even when the lines are dirty and full of sand and mud.

You might want to try using a different fid but I am with you on the 800 lines the 600's snap too easy even brand new.

I agree with your advice on finding sleeves, just go to the store, look around for some line u like take out the center, replace with kite line.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Torch
Neo's

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:15 am

BWD wrote:I've only seen one diameter, approx. 2.5 mm I think. Strength is usually "50lbs"
Reviving this thread cuz I found stuff that is great at the local craft store

http://canada.michaels.com/on/demandwar ... -stringing

Comes in colours there are 2 versions 550 and 395. No explanation what the numbers stand for but The 395 fits kitelines perfect.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:08 am

damn...I got 550 para-cord in my house from down at my local tractor supply....GREAT tip!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

clif37
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fort Pierce FL
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby clif37 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:35 am

you could also use dyneema or spectra hollow braid rope which comes in colors . Maybe 7/64. It opens up easy.

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby southflorida » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:53 am

I've bought sleeving from China via Ebay to make my lines, and although it takes a bit longer, a number of China purchases I've make via Ebay over the last couple months have all arrived as described and within the time they quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5M-Kite-lines ... 27d043344f

That item is for 10 meters (5 meters of each color) for $8.75 with free shipping to USA.
I know that beats the sleeving kits you referred to, but you need to be patient for delivery.

As best I can tell, only two colors available: blue and orange.

Hey, I bet if you ask for 50 m they'll give you a better price per meter. Ask for other colors, they might have? If you do, would like to know.

If you think of buying their 300 lb test high tenacity spectra for a kitesurfing kite lines, don't. I bought some to see what it looked like. Too thin. They have 400lb and 500lb test but I've not bought any yet. Prices look good.

I have no affiliation with them. Buy at your own risk - I have friends who absolutely won't buy anything Ebay from China, but I've had good luck. Ebay is on your side if there is a dispute and you not trying to pull a fast one.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Torch
Neo's

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:26 am

the paracord was $4 for 21m and is just around the corner coulda got it for 2 with a coupon :)

Here it is stitched up.

Perfect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”