All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Maui Kitebeach to be banned !
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

Can one still launch at naish beach?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
Rare Poster

balugh wrote:
I have signed the petition but could we have a brief re-cap please of what areas from the picture in the original post are now going to be enforced? Is every part of the visible beaches on the original post going to now exclude water craft? If there are 'some' launch / landing spots it might be useful to know where they are so we can get it in context.

I do fly off a couple of restricted beaches where I would like to have more freedom but I'm happy enough that there isn't an outright ban...

It is also worth remembering that regardless of traffic restrictions you can always land anywhere in an emergency. That's a fundamental rule of the sea. Just don't push the definition of emergency too far.

Yeah... can someone translate this gibberish?

Edit: So it prohibits vessels and sailboards, I guess kites are OK then? :D

Attachments:
dlnr-rules-kanaha-hookipa-fly-point-beaches-ordinances.png
dlnr-rules-kanaha-hookipa-fly-point-beaches-ordinances.png [ 208.67 KIB | Viewed 673 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Frequent Poster

Haole_Built wrote:
Edit: So it prohibits vessels and sailboards, I guess kites are OK then? :D

You may be right.... It is 'silent' on kite boards...probably because they didn't really exist in 1994...although the intention is pretty clear. That said, kite boards are not considered craft because they don't support you on your own in the water. It is one reason a lost kiteboard is considered, legally, to be lost property instead of salvage when someone else recovers it and demands a fee.

This might muddy the legal waters enough to require re-drafting before it is enforceable against kites... It would be ironic if it cleared the beach of kayakers and windsurfers but left it free for kite surfers to use...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm 
Medium Poster

Emailed all the legislators & sent a hardcopy to Underwood.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 pm 
Medium Poster

I got an email response back from Mr. Underwood this morning: "Thank you for your comments. The current swim zones have been in place since 1994 have not been adhered to. Because we received complaints, we need to ensure that the laws are being followed as written. We are open to amending the rules but will need to get community input first. I recommend that you work with our Maui District Manager, Stacy Masuda, to begin the public outreach."

I view that as potentially very positive. There are complaints that the rules are not being enforced, and they are duty bound to enforce the rules they are given. (as the agency follows rules set out from above, likely doesn't have decision making authority) However, they are open to changing the rules, seeking public input to do so.

I responded, urging him to consider not enforcing these rules strictly until seeking comprehensive stakeholder input. In particular, I asked that he weigh the evidence of thousands of successful shared uses against the handful of complaints.

I suspect the real solution here is political -- engaging the decision makers with power to reconsider the "greater good", including economic impact. If the current rules don't what is optimal, then rewrite them to do so. But my fear for the short-term is that they will strictly enforce the rule immediately, until a solution can be reached....and my first visit to Maui is in just over 4 weeks....<ugh>. :-?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:05 pm 
Rare Poster

juandesooka wrote:
I got an email response back from Mr. Underwood this morning: "Thank you for your comments. The current swim zones have been in place since 1994 have not been adhered to. Because we received complaints, we need to ensure that the laws are being followed as written. We are open to amending the rules but will need to get community input first. I recommend that you work with our Maui District Manager, Stacy Masuda, to begin the public outreach."

I view that as potentially very positive. There are complaints that the rules are not being enforced, and they are duty bound to enforce the rules they are given. (as the agency follows rules set out from above, likely doesn't have decision making authority) However, they are open to changing the rules, seeking public input to do so.

I responded, urging him to consider not enforcing these rules strictly until seeking comprehensive stakeholder input. In particular, I asked that he weigh the evidence of thousands of successful shared uses against the handful of complaints.

I suspect the real solution here is political -- engaging the decision makers with power to reconsider the "greater good", including economic impact. If the current rules don't what is optimal, then rewrite them to do so. But my fear for the short-term is that they will strictly enforce the rule immediately, until a solution can be reached....and my first visit to Maui is in just over 4 weeks....<ugh>. :-?

Yep, I got the same email. Here is contact info on Stacy Masuda, Acting Maui District Manager:

stacy.c.masuda@hawaii.gov
Phone: (808) 243-5818 Fax: (808) 243-5820

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:32 pm 
Rare Poster

Here is the answer I got from Underwood:

"I have copied our Maui District Manager, Stacy Masuda, and she can provide you with a description of the swim areas. Other than the swim areas, you can engage in kiting in the near shore water off Kanaha Beach. "

If "the swim areas" are not much more than the current ones that are cordoned off then I don't
think this is such a big issue. Will post again when Masuda gives detailed information.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
Haole_Built wrote:
flyingweasel wrote:
Well thats the hotels not wanting kiters and windsurfers now. Nothing new there!!

In fact I think I will have to email this to the govenor/hotels etc. See if there is some remittance

Right on Bille, totally brilliant strategy, why not contact all the hotels :roll:

You lot are sooooooo new to politics....babes in the wood. Its a wonder you dont pay for air...

Please never feel the need to assist me with absolutely anything.

With friends like these....who need enemies?

Just cant get the help these days...

Lol...

I reckon the govenor et al are goin to be well pleased with an inbox
full of idle threats.

Isn't it time to man up and take this one on the chin?
Speaking of which...was a formal apology ever made to the swimmers?

Lol...I'm a kiter, launch me....

What a condescending twat you are...unless you have something constructive to add to this, I would like ask you to kindly STFU.

You ask the impossible! :)

I got Pissed and wrote a reply ; then the JD & Guinness kicked-in and
i wasn't Mad anymore, (so i Deleted that reply) .

For the most-part --flyingweasel-- is an OK guy ; he just had
a Bad day !!
================================================

A change in strategy might be good for how this beach access to kiters
is being approached ; what were doing now, isn't working !!

Bille

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

Haole_Built wrote:
flyingweasel wrote:
wedge wrote:
Here is what I did guys.

I called a big hotel on Maui (hotel name withheld). I said I calling to book two weeks in their hotel, but had heard rumor of a windsurfing ban. Being the clueless traveler, I asked them to get some information on the ban and get back to me. I said if windsurfing was indeed banned, I would most likely be canceling.

So, if the big name hotels start calling the local officials, talking about losing business, it will put even more pressure on the officials to keep the ban very limited.

Well thats the hotels not wanting kiters and windsurfers now. Nothing new there!!

In fact I think I will have to email this to the govenor/hotels etc. See if there is some remittance

Right on Bille, totally brilliant strategy, why not contact all the hotels :roll:

You lot are sooooooo new to politics....babes in the wood. Its a wonder you dont pay for air...

Please never feel the need to assist me with absolutely anything.

With friends like these....who need enemies?

Just cant get the help these days...

Lol...

I reckon the govenor et al are goin to be well pleased with an inbox
full of idle threats.

Isn't it time to man up and take this one on the chin?
Speaking of which...was a formal apology ever made to the swimmers?

Lol...I'm a kiter, launch me....

What a condescending twat you are...unless you have something constructive to add to this, I would like to ask you to kindly STFU.

Go girl...
Would you be the kiter that has influenced the swimmers by any chance?? :roll:
Obviously after your petition went "viral" and all you obviously don`t need any help whatsoever!
"Haole Built"... is that like headless chicken? Just can`t rely on google translate these days :roll:
Why not start an e- petition or write to someone, anyone will do. How about we call hotels. You`ve made this your own, winning friends and influencing...swimmers

RSJ, concrete and planning approval. Does that cover it?
LOL
Good luck(seriously) , you will need it.
Kiters need pumping

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 pm 
Rare Poster

flyingweasel wrote:

Go girl...
Would you be the kiter that has influenced the swimmers by any chance?? :roll:
Obviously after your petition went "viral" and all you obviously don`t need any help whatsoever!
"Haole Built"... is that like headless chicken? Just can`t rely on google translate these days :roll:
Why not start an e- petition or write to someone, anyone will do. How about we call hotels. You`ve made this your own, winning friends and influencing...swimmers

RSJ, concrete and planning approval. Does that cover it?
LOL
Good luck(seriously) , you will need it.
Kiters need pumping

:lol: You sound bitter, do you live in some grey clouded shitty-ass weather locale? That would explain a lot.

[ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next