Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Q-Line Stretch bugging me!

Postby flybykite » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:24 am

I created a custom bar awhile back and opted for some q-line from all the rave reviews. I only stretched the lines by hand a bit before setting it up. After the first session I was noticing that the kite felt mushy so after I checked the lines and sure enough the front lines had stretched about 3 cm over 26m. OK, no biggie, tied em up again and had 2 more sessions.... more stretch and unevenly stretched on the front lines about 2-3 cm. I like to ride quite powered and tend to favor looping on one side but do these lines ever stop stretching? I hear that these lines are 0 stretch and a very static line however so far I'm spending too much time sorting them out.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Q-Line Stretch bugging me!

Postby sarc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 am

I guess you did not google search beforehand. Q-Power needs to be stretched, a 20-30 second tug with all your strength per line is OK, otherwise 2 people pulling together. I did 2 bars with this and I did some checks and minor adjustments after the first 4-5 sessions (child's play to change the line length since Q-power knots can be always undone easily). Then perfect.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Yea, re tie them, they will stop stretching after 4-5 sessions, i tried to pre streth them but the front lines still stretched out after some sent jumps and loops, they stop eventually

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I unrolled the 500' reel of Q. I tied one end to a tree and the other end to my truck. i slowly pulled the line out tight. i then parked and walked back to the middle of the line and stepped on it with all my weight, stretching the line down 18 inches to the ground.. i would alternate rolling the truck forward and then stepping on the line until my weight would not force the line to the ground any more. no more stretch ever. but, i found the q line loops did not larkshead veyr good as the knot tightened up hard. so I attach regular kite line prusic loops to my q line ends to make attachment quick and easy. and if the lines get off an,y it's a very easy adjustment with the loops.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:47 pm

How to stretch Q Powerline

Requirements:

several hours
500' of space
a tree
a truck

ROFLMA

Suddenly $120 for a set of lines seems more reasonable

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Yes the stretch is bad on Q-Lines but that is not why I won't use them anymore. I had 2 lines snap on me after making some extensions. Thankfully it was both lines on the same side of the kite and not the line my kite flagged too. I'll spend some xtra cash for lines now.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:29 am

I'm surprised that the manufacturer doesn't pre stretch under controlled conditions.

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 pm

my first q set lasted over 7 years of regular use--still in good shape when sold with a kite. q line will break at a knot--use double overhand knot/figure eight and breakage won't happen.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 am

Arcsrule wrote:my first q set lasted over 7 years of regular use--still in good shape when sold with a kite. q line will break at a knot--use double overhand knot/figure eight and breakage won't happen.
Mine are now 5 years and still going strong. As far as stretch goes, I had a bit on the front lines when I first got them. My bar has leaders for both front and back lines with multiple knots, so I just moved the attachment point on my bar by 1 knot and the problem was solved.

Ed

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:25 am

[quote="Laughingman"]How to stretch Q Powerline

Requirements:

several hours
500' of space
a tree
a truck

close but not quite, actually
truck, tree or post, 10 minutes and 250 ft.
double the line over and tie one end to the post,
take an old kite line about 10 ft long and tie a few knots in it to make the fusible link and tie it to the other end of the q-line and the truck,
now the only tricky part, take another piece of the old kite line about 20 ft long and tie it to the same place(end of q-line and truck) so that when you drive the truck forward slowly the old kite line with the knots will break first at about half strength due to the knots and the longer line without the knots will keep it from flying all over the place and doing damage,
untie and done, cut to any length, never stretch again

Return to “Kitesurfing”