Forum for kitesurfers
gingerfinger
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how to stop the kite pulling on suicide

Postby gingerfinger » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:07 pm

I don't ride suicide as there always seems to be pull in the kite if I've stuffed up an unhooked move and let go of the bar. I get dragged in the water or the 5th line or leash snap or both.

Someone mentioned cabrinha manage to loose nearly all power on suicide and the kite just genlty floats down the edge of the window....

This right!?

I've ended up not riding suicide and spending most of my sessions sorting out the mess rather than trying unhooked tricks again and again and....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: how to stop the kite pulling on suicide

Postby edt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:16 pm

What kite do you have? I know for my C kites when I rig them 4 line mode, there is plenty of pull when you drop the bar, that's fine, just haul yourself up to the bar by the leash, hook in and reride. On a bridled kite of any kind (cabrinha isn't special this way) when you drop the bar there's almost no pull . . . unless you have something set wrong with you bar. If you have a stopper, make sure you set it all the way out. If you set the stopper too far in, of course it will pull. 4 line C kites are a mess when you rig them in flag out mode, they spin and tangle, but 5 line C kites will fall into a U and are really easy to reride. For instance, the Naish 5 line torch or North Vegas are predictable and easy to relaunch even if you rig them for flag out instead of suicide. Also you need a new leash, even when the full power of the kite is on your leash it should not break. Handle pass leashes have to be stronger than an ordinary leash if you want to rig them suicide. Are you riding a true 5th line? Or is this a mini-5th line? There should never be a mess when you ride in true 5 line mode on a C kite. You should be able to reride.

gingerfinger
Rare Poster

Postby gingerfinger » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Cheers EDT

What's flag out? I ride Vegas 5 line newest bar is 2010... Bar goes all the way to the stopper when I let go, then the kite will quite often roll and get tangled with the 5th line going all the way round. It feels like 1 attempt at a trick for 5 mins of pissing about :angryfire:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:06 pm

gingerfinger wrote:Cheers EDT

What's flag out? I ride Vegas 5 line newest bar is 2010... Bar goes all the way to the stopper when I let go, then the kite will quite often roll and get tangled with the 5th line going all the way round. It feels like 1 attempt at a trick for 5 mins of pissing about :angryfire:

2010 bar is fine. Flag out is when the bar flies up the lines about 10 meters to depower the kite. Vegas has a lot of depower (for a c kite) when rigged suicide it shouldn't pull that much. if you rig onto the safety unless you wrap a line around the Vegas should be fine to reride even if it spins one or two times.

You need to be able to release the bar every time you fail a trick, the worst thing when trying a new trick is holding onto the bar when you crash that's how you get a bad shoulder injury.

Vegas is a well behaved kite for unhooking either suicide or to flag out or the combo leash where it's rigged suicide but the QR will still flag out. Are the conditions where you ride extremely gusty? Some days you just can't unhook because the wind isn't right.

I think maybe wait for better conditions before you unhook again? You want just the right kind of wind to make unhooking easy.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Stay away from 5 lined kites, if your problem is when the kite rolls and everything gets "screwed" :(

Or, as EDT says, learn to ride unhooked without having this happen (that often).

The Vegas is a great C kite in itself, with a good amount of depower in suicide mode.

But your problem seems to be when the kite rolls over and lines gets tangled, right ?

So either use 4 lined kites, or practice and you will experience your kite "magically" rolls over less often :rollgrin:

8) Peter

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm

This is one advantage of below the bar depower, you can attach your leash to the depower line, so it will depower it immensely when you drop the bar. When I lose the bar on my LF Envys, it instantly depowers to nothing and the kite floats down to the edge of the window and sits on a wingtip waiting for me to power back up and steer the kite back into the sky.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:50 am

ooh, ooh, ooh, i know….
you don't.
that's why it's called suicide :lol:

gingerfinger
Rare Poster

Postby gingerfinger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:22 pm

That sounds exactly like what I want Dyylan . Below the bar pressure? Dunno what that is but the idea that the kite has so little power it floats down the side of the window and hopefully sits there on the water when I drop the bar and go under is what I want.

Just my experience and I can't compare against other kites but vegas on suicide always gives me a yank after I've stuffed up and dropped the bar, and not because of gusts. On flag out the the kite is always face down on the water by the time I've come up for air and the bar is miles away and some lines may be wrapped around the bar by the time I get to it and the 5th may be wrapped around the kite.

Would adding an extra foot to the depower section (double rope bit) make sense on a vegas?

Dub
Medium Poster

Postby Dub » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:12 pm

You might be better suited to a different type of kite, from the sound of it you want something with a bridle.

People who ride C kites don't want them to fall out of the sky every time they miss the bar.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:19 am

I fly 07 Torches on suicide and they have more than enough depower - can't really see how you can be getting dragged and snap leashes and 5th lines on a Vegas :?:

And what Dub says, you don't want kites that fall out of he sky when they miss the bar as you keep getting dropped into the water, kite in suicide will give you softer landings :thumb:

To be honest doesn't really make sense what you are saying.????

Return to “Kitesurfing”