Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2014 BWS Drifter Surfboard 5.9

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
woodpecker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Kite beach Mauritius
Style: wave
Gear: rrd obsesson 12m (2008) 9m (2011) - jimmy lewis 6.1 (timeless) - north whip 5.8 (2013) - twin shinn 132x40 (2008)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2014 BWS Drifter Surfboard 5.9

Postby woodpecker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Just received the 2014 model (see photo attached). Have not ridden yet -- so comments here are more about design and construction - as the board is quite an unusual design.

Outline: the graphics and rails make it look wider than it is at 18 3/8. But surely enough looks like a 6.1 length that has 4 inches chopped from the tail. So a performance outline but shorter which I guess converts it into a hybrid. Length as per subject email is 5.9. Seems that he has taken his Tokoro 6.1 resin8 as the outline and cut 4 inches off the tail.

Rocker: 4 1/4 inches at the nose and 1 1/4 at the tail. Low yes on both ends but the board still has a constant curve. Which resembles a 6.1 length as the zero rocker happens 4 inches behind the center of the board. So from the nose - 37 inches to flat - 1 inch of flat/no rocker and then 31 inches to the tail.

So all of this ties with the concept as BW describes it as taking a 6.1 length and chopping 4 inches off the tail. In my opinion this is good for kiting as we usually surf standing a little more towards the front as we surf with some pull from the kite and not only push from the wave.

Volume: The thickness is 2 1/4 but still achieves performance rails with a deck that tappers out with some dome. I like this as you have both volume and thin rails => lift but board still must screw into the water. The rails look like the Tokoro 6.1 resin8 too.

Concave: Huge; I must say HUGE concave; maybe 5 milimitres ++; put it on a hard surface and it is like looking under a catamaran. Not only deep but also runs to the edge of the rails creating a sharp edge. And it runs all the way to the tail; but shallow on the tail. It is like the board would ride only on the rails. Never seen something like this - But BW has tested it for 7 years. I think this comes from the time developing the Celeritas with Doyle where they put a lot of concave. It is truly a saddle shape.

Tail: A wide swallow with 5 fcs fusion peanut boxes with the tail narrowing from the front of the front boxes, and to the tail on a more straighter outline. Like a Tomo style board. Also tail is quite thin from a thick mid section which should allow to cut through also with those performance rails.

Construction: Feels heavy - at c.3.75kg with no fins (tail pad only); on the other hand feels bullet proof and all of the above think it makes for a good travel board. Has insert for straps which also add to the weight. Inserts seem to be placed on same distance from nose as a 6.1, by comparison to one I have. So really they have just chopped the tail!

Made in China lacks the refinement of a custom made and also the board has been painted on with no visible stringer - just feels like the north 2013 construction (used to have the whip)- but Drifter has no bamboo but paint feels the same. Would not be surprised they come from the same factory. Having said that, the BW boards are $699 no more to pay, which is a pretty good deal price/quality wise. So it feels heavy but is a no worries board as well. For sure this board has not been vacuum bagged but hence also the $699 versus much more expensive Liquid Force or North. I MISS THE OLDSCHOOL ROMANTICISM AND ART OF A GLASSED AIRBRUSHED FOAM WITH A STRINGER - but I guess this is the trend of every industry (i.e. cars - old cars are better looking IMO).

Fin boxes are real FCS not like others who say Futures and then you realise they are counterfeit boxes when each is of different shape and the fins don't fit as they should. So they have stuck to the original stuff which is great to see. Fusion boxes IMO the best for this kind of construction as they already come with a high density ring (have installed a few of these).

My main expectation is to see how this board feels with such a heavy glass job 2x 6oz on top and 1x 6oz bottom.

Lights out - hope it helps.
Attachments
IMG-20131116-00067.jpg
IMG-20131116-00068-1.jpg
IMG-20131116-00070.jpg

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Re: 2014 BWS Drifter Surfboard 5.9

Postby DSZ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:41 pm

So have you ridden this board yet? Considering buying one.

woodpecker
Rare Poster
Gear: rrd obsesson 12m (2008) 9m (2011) - jimmy lewis 6.1 (timeless) - north whip 5.8 (2013) - twin shinn 132x40 (2008)

Postby woodpecker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:38 pm

So yes I kited this board 4 times now in small ocean swell with a 12 m kite. Very stable and easy to jibe, been able to switch even while on a wave - not testament to my ability but how stable the board is. Feels almost an inch wider, and floats more than enough for my 170lbs.
The board is really fast and planes quick, weight not an issue.
With quad setup it goes upwind better than any other board I used - not so much on tri (like for like).
Feels unusual that stance is further back that any of the other boards I used, but again tail has been chopped off, so this is what creates the effect - as well as the rocker which is a constant curve drawn way back - so even a 5.9 you have more nose in front of you than in other 5.9 boards. Little like a chopper motorcycle with a long front drive.
Due to low tail rocker it surf a little like a fish but turns decently tight.
Heel dents - yes on first ride, but I guess expected as promoted as a surfboard not a kiteboard to jump on. Must say foot wells are just from riding.
Overall happy - think will stay with me until it dies.

woodpecker
Rare Poster

Postby woodpecker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Been riding it more - recently
I would say it has limited range when overpowered. Due to little rocker on the tail it accelerates like mad but you cannot shed the speed. It tends to run away under your feet. For this board you need to have the exact kite for the conditions. If you sail in places where the wind has big range during the day you would not be able to hold the board when overpowered.
Literally it takes off with the gusts and leaves you behind. I would say ideal summer board for soft consistent conditions. :bye:

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:04 pm

Just got a new one in this week. Have not ridden it yet. It is their latest "Core Flex" construction which has a honeycomb core and a stringer which I do not see in the photos here of its predecessor. Bought it for the small on shore wind waves we get at my home beach where getting back up wind is critical and I am told in the quad set up, it really gets there. For OBX I'll stick to my Stretch which is better in bigger waves but does not get upwind well but who cares when all we do is dws there!

I'll report back once I have ridden this board.

Return to “Reviews”