Rare Poster
Gear: HQ Ignition 14m kite
HQ bar/lines/harness
Cabrinha Spectrum kiteboard (144x43cm)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

just getting started

Postby nychris » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:40 pm

This Spring I plan to start taking kiteboarding lessons and buy my own gear, but until then I was thinking about getting a trainer kite to learn a little bit on my own. It's too cold in NY to be in the water these next few months. I didn't want to waste money on some kite I'll only fly a handful of times so I was thinking about getting something that could also be used for landboarding, but at the same time teach me the basics of kiteboarding. I'm 6'1" 230lbs so I'm not worried about getting pulled around too much. After reading a little bit I was thinking about maybe getting the HQ Scout III 5m or the HQ Hydra II 420 (4.5m). Would these be good choices?

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: just getting started

Postby elliott george » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Hey there, go to hear your taking proper lessons. Where I work as an instructor we have lots of problems with people who think they can teach themselves and it usually goes wrong, which compromises kitesurfing at the beach.

Not much point on the hydra, if you want a kite that relaunches you may as we'll wait until you have had lessons and then get a LEI(leading edge inflatable). Also they have a different relaunching method compared to a LEI. So you won't learn much.

The scout is a good kite. Nice and stable. Easy to fly. But I would say that overall the ozone octane is a better alround kite, we use these to teach kitelandboarding as there really stable, develope good constant power and the 5 allows us to teach in very light winds.

Get someone to show you how to fly a kite if you have never flown one as even these small kites can be powerful. Hope that helps

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Just grab a cheap trainer 150$ tops even less used. All you need is a 1.5, or 2m for ice or rollerblades. I found roller kiting lots of fun and cheap. First learn to control trainer. Once you are in control grab a helmet, some elbow and knee pads, and roller blades. Most beach parking lots are empty this time of year. Start out on a mellow day and learn how to generate power by signing the kite. You will be going upwind and jibing in no time. Lots of fun , cheap, and a great way to learn basic kite controls. Just keep it slow, pavement HURTS!!!!!

elliott george
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Newgale
Favorite Beaches: Newgale
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Takoon lux 133x40
hadlow pro 13
Blade prime 9
Hyperlite remix

Postby elliott george » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:34 pm

matth wrote:Just grab a cheap trainer 150$ tops even less used. All you need is a 1.5, or 2m for ice or rollerblades. I found roller kiting lots of fun and cheap. First learn to control trainer. Once you are in control grab a helmet, some elbow and knee pads, and roller blades. Most beach parking lots are empty this time of year. Start out on a mellow day and learn how to generate power by signing the kite. You will be going upwind and jibing in no time. Lots of fun , cheap, and a great way to learn basic kite controls. Just keep it slow, pavement HURTS!!!!!
Haha that sounds like fun. Although for a beginner maybe not so good. I don't want this guy rolling on to a freeway

nychris
Rare Poster
Gear: HQ Ignition 14m kite
HQ bar/lines/harness
Cabrinha Spectrum kiteboard (144x43cm)

Postby nychris » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Rollerblade kiting sounds fun but I can't stop as-is on just the blades, haha. I think I'll try something safer like landboarding in soft grass to start out with. What size kite would be good for landboarding, but can still be used to learn how to fly? I weigh 230. The Scout or Octane both look good, but do they use the same harness and bar as the LEI kite I will eventually buy for kiteboarding after my lessons? I want to simulate the real deal as much as possible.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Crashing on the hard gray sand is like cement. Grass is a little better but that sudden stop will get you no matter what.
4.5 OR 5M are real kites and can kick your ass even at 230lbs or even 320lbs.
Make sure you start out in light wind , don't even think of going near upper range of those kites.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:37 pm

nychris wrote:...I think I'll try something safer like landboarding in soft grass to start out with...
Off-road Rollerblade Coyotes: they went out of production a long time ago, but if you find some...

They have 6-inch inflatable tires, and their capability is amazing for skating comfortably on dirt roads, grass, salt flats or whatever... with or without a kite. A great alternative to land-boarding for learning, light wind and/or cold conditions.
Last edited by JS on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 pm

nychris wrote: It's too cold in NY to be in the water these next few months
Really? I was out yesterday.... :snow:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 am

The Ozone Octane is a nice kite but you might be better served with the Ignition or at least get a bar for the Ocatane. I made my own bar for my Ocante with a few pieces of 1/16" Dynema, a couple of stainless rings, a small ronstan pulley, and an old junker depower kitebar. I attach one of the kite killers that came with the handles to the break ring. This gives me the option to fly it on handles or a bar.

Also don't underestimate the power that these kites can generate once you start moving them through the window.

Return to “Kitesurfing”