Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Postby vp » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:17 am

We have a couple "real user" reviews on our site here:
Soul Drysuit (just click on the "reviews" tab )

I used the Soul for a couple sessions already and really like it - lots of awesome features. Stand by mode is the key for me.

Also, you may find this useful: Lucifer / Soul drysuit comparison

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:01 am

BudhaNl wrote:I've no experience with either suit myself. I've kited the last 2 winters with an OR Surf dry suit. I've just replaced this with a Soul which is supposed to show up coming weekend.
what made you change from the surf dry? Id be interested to hear a comparison.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:02 am

davesails7 wrote:
BudhaNl wrote:I've no experience with either suit myself. I've kited the last 2 winters with an OR Surf dry suit. I've just replaced this with a Soul which is supposed to show up coming weekend.
what made you change from the surf dry? Id be interested to hear a comparison.
I really like the integrated hood on the surf dry, also the fact that it's more wetsuit-like. The 2 layers really help in reducing water up your ankles/arms. However, the outer layer of the surf dry absorbs water so it stays wet. The wind will subsequently make you lose body heat when on shore between 2 sessions, which I find uncomfortable.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Overall good suit :D but for the sake of improvement:

1. Bolster the top of the harness hook zipper opening with some stitching support, maybe some thicker fabric - that zippered opening gets a lot of torque from the hook while kiting, getting yanked up when kite is flying high and will eventually tear at the top.

2. ORodeo needs to make suits wider and zipper bigger. Currently made for very skinny people who wear nothing under a drysuit. Regular size suits are tight in regards to getting last shoulder in esp if you have winter fleece on. I can see tearing at the zipper edge with repeated torquing. I'm 5'8"/75kg and tried on M and L size and both too skinny.

3. I'm of average build, not stocky and needed to get the MK size to fit. MK is designed for stocky people but once you put layers on you need the space a K size allows. Wrist and Ankle seals are fine on MK size for a M person however neck seal is disproportionately large. ORodeo should reduce the size of neck seal to the next size down on MK size. You can always trim it.

4. Rework the hood design in the sense of the tuck in pieces at end of front hood. Too much of a pain to tuck them in and attach velcro. Should`be simple. How 'bout a nice soft piece that wraps around your chin and then velcros easily...

Otherwise the suit is such an upgrade from the Pyro Pro I had... Piss zip is awesome! Seems more breathable than Pyro Pro. Keep evolving it ORodeo!

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marie Curtis
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay St Lucia
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario
Style: Kite as much as I can
Gear: On sale

Postby pecmajor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 am

I have the NPX Lucifer as well and love it. Very similar suit bought on sale like Shawn. Do you guys wear your PFD inside or outside the suit? I have been wearing mine inside because the suit is so roomy and this works well except I sweat and get wet under the PFD. Some times this cools me off a bit. Just shows you how warm these suits are.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.
Has thanked: 0

Postby whabbits » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 pm

For those of you interested, I just received an email saying that Ocean Rodeo dealers are including a free pair of thermal underwear with Soul suits bought in December.
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=342 ... 5cf347a3cc

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:01 pm

vp wrote:
whabbits wrote:...I have seen the Soul with socks and the version with socks does not have crushed neoprene for the socks. They are made of the same material as the pants of the suit. The version with socks is much faster to put on and off and keeps your feet warmer.

The downside is no split toe and I LOVE split toe booties.
I think it would be tough to put those socks in any bootie and still be able to feel the board.
I agree, VP. I rode a drysuit the other day that had the built in rubber socks on it. You have to wear the booties (round toe only, no split toe possible with that design) over the socks and I didn't like the loss of feeling with the board.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Has thanked: 0

Postby jumarcil » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:08 pm

I had a Bare which was like a steaming bath but still it was doing the job. I sold it for a Lucifer which I really like except the fact that there was a bit of water coming in after a long time in the water. The newest ones are supposed to be ok. I had a Mystic which I really liked but the look was average; I sold it to one of my buddy and bought a soul. So I tried a lot of different one.

So far the soul is my favorite. Why; I think it is the one that breathes the most. Easy to get in a and out by yourself.

My last session was 2 weeks ago in freezing water (about 40 degrees far.) I wore 3 layers of Merino wool and was really comfy and warm, even when floating in the water.

My only complain is that they could make the zip for the shoulder a bit wider. For the rest; a very solid product.

Next year I will buy a Mystic vulcanic to try it out. Neoprene always give you more buy buoyancy and it is also easier if you have to swim for a while, which is always a possibility if your equipment fails at some point.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 am

+1 for making the Zipper at the shoulder Zipper wider. Only change I would make.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 am

Just a heads up that we just launched the new Ignite Drysuit today, with expected shipping to start this month.

The Ignite is a beefed up Soul with some notable additions. It is not primarily a kiteboarding suit but makes an excellent option for those kiteboarders who cross over into Expedition SUP, Sailing or Boating that will see you on the water for extended periods of time. Check out the website for full details!

You can also read an excellent, somewhat impartial write up on the suit here:

Surf Sanctuary Ignite Drysuit Review

Return to “Kitesurfing”