Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to solve problems the Hawaiian way...

Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: How to solve problems the Hawaiian way...

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:46 am

NYKiter wrote:Hawaiians have taken so much crap from all the brazil, cali and aussi douche bag surfers over the years its no wonder they get pissed off...I lived there for many years. Its really easy - show that you respect them, give them priority and they respect you. Act like a douche - get treated like one....thats island style... :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose: :hangloose:
Illogical, captain. Seems douchey to me to demand priority and then get all bully-boy over it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:07 am

As far as I know the guy who launched the unprovoked attack on another member of the public was never prosecuted for it.

The message I get from it is that the police force in Hawaii allow a gang (of which he was one of the leaders) to launch vicious attacks on members of the public. Maybe on the basis that their 'law' was superior to the laws of the USA.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pmaggie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am

Here in northern Italy, first of all we usually talk. Then we talk again. Eventually we talk. A long winded way of life but no beating son the beach, everyone is smiling.
Anyway, I have been in Maui four times and never had problems but I don't surf, only windsurf and kitesurf.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby eldadgold » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:20 am

If i were that dumbass blond kid i would sue.
No dumbass, no matter what, deserves a beatting like that.

I think that taking his board was more than enough.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am

This is an old video. It has been posted before. It has also gotten quite a bit of press. The assailant is part of the wolfpak on the NS...and coincidentally a movie "star".

I dunno if the assailant ever got prosecuted for this.

I hate shit like that.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 am

I wish Fred and Phil would take up surfing...

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:45 pm

This NY Times report is from 2009...and has a clip from the earlier film saying it's 2003.

The big guy is really just a pussycat looking out for best interests of surfing..... :rollgrin:

http://youtu.be/vqqS8lYYSdk

Yes it's old but I think the message still seems to be valid. Must admit some of those breaks look pretty crowded...and I think about some of the behaviour I see at crowded kite beaches and the similarities are there...

Too many people...ironically all 'trying to relax' and getting pissed off instead.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Sad to see the dark side of surfing. I understand the disrespect thing, but raining down elbows on a kid 50lbs lighter is unexceptable. A few open hand slaps to the head and a verbal beat down
should be enough.
The problem with surfing is there is one wave , one break , and a lot of people trying to catch the same wave. It would be like a ski area having one trail. NO THANKS

Paddle for twenty minutes , bob in the water waitng for a perfect wave , miss the wave, someone cuts you off. And then you catch a ten second ride.
I will take kiting or windsurfing anyday. Rig up and ride for hours non stop, no fights , no bullshit , just unexplainable joy. .. you can have your waves I prefer Wind.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Tough guy reps are very difficult to shake....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... sault.html

Kaia Alexander is now mid 40's.....and he'd be unique if he's still the biggest toughest dude on the beach. If nothing else some ambitious youngster in his 'family' will come along. Thus he is looking for a quieter life.... :bye:

But these guys are not, I think, unique as there are similar tribes in California and Australia (probably elsewhere too) that claim spots and set up their own rules. I'm with matth in preferring a bit of wind to help getaway from the crowd.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm

balugh wrote:Tough guy reps are very difficult to shake....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... sault.html

Kaia Alexander is now mid 40's.....and he'd be unique if he's still the biggest toughest dude on the beach. If nothing else some ambitious youngster in his 'family' will come along. Thus he is looking for a quieter life.... :bye:

But these guys are not, I think, unique as there are similar tribes in California and Australia (probably elsewhere too) that claim spots and set up their own rules. I'm with matth in preferring a bit of wind to help getaway from the crowd.
There is a long history of displacement and abuse to Hawaiians... The kid has no idea that he is being super disrepectful. It might not make sense to everybody, but he got off easy.

I have never been to hawaii, never will go. But it is super hard for me to think that there are no other spots for surfing than pipe.

I advocate peace, but first justice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”