Noone riding hydrofoils ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Noone riding hydrofoils ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:03 pm

And want to share experiences ?

Asking, as it seems like noone are posting actual RIDING experiences, meaning how to, and what not to do etc etc...

Like on any other forum.

Lots of "want to build myself" postings, and great.

But what about those riding their hydrofoils, and experiences ?

It is NOT that easy, so just share all your "mishaps" - as they will be gold for all others :thumb:

Seriously, I am really amazed that there is "no action going on" - when we know there is a lot of real life action going on, regarding hydrofoils, as they are faster than even the best courseraceboards nowadays :rollgrin:

And besides, it is an AWESOME feel, with no comparison whatsoever, to skim and "fly" effortlessly over the water, like on a magic carpet - YEEEEEEEEEEES !!!!!

We are MANY, who feel like we are bombed back to our beginner stage, when learning hydrofoiling, true.

But remember, that this also means that almost everybody is interested in reading about YOUR personal experiences.

Just a reminder, that it is such a new "sport", that everything you can share, is gold for others.

Especially your "lows" where it does not work/happen, can be priceless.

Please share :D

I have an idea, that becauce we have kitesurfed for many years, we fell ashamed that we can not do better than what we can do....
And this is totally nonsense, as it has to be compared to something totally new and different - no matter what the "pros" can do - it does not matter.

So please share your experiences, good or bad, as this is what will be beneficial for everybody :naughty:

8) Peter

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Noone RIDING hydrofoils ?

Postby gmb13 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi Peter,

You are right. Not many people posting about riding their foils.

I for one have been too busy riding and testing and trying new things, and have not had the time to edit any of my footage together yet.

The problem is that I can ride almost everyday so time spent on making videos and working on the forums is super limited.

So I guess the others are in the same "boat" so to speak. Too much time on the water, not enough time in front of the computer. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Noone riding hydrofoils ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 am

You are right, a good combination - too much time on the water and no time in front of the computer that is :thumb:

Gunnar, you and Bracuru has been some of the best to share your experiences, awesome :rollgrin:

My point was, that I am amazed that so few less experienced dont share their "adventures" - as it IS really an amazing journey to learn to ride hydrofoils.

Also a huge difference from very low AR beginner/allround foils, to high AR fast/competitive foils.

It just struck me - that with all other kitesurf "board" types, many share their initial experiences online.

But most likely because there are so many, compared to the still small hydrofoil riders :roll:

You guys are so experienced now, that it is great to see what is possible :D

But the reports from "newbies" are IMO priceless information, when there are so few, and many has to learn on their own, around the world :naughty:

8) Peter

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:34 am

I went foiling with Mango In maui years ago who kindly hooked us up for a try, but did not try it since.. just back into it... my experiences are its further up than u think to be foiling with foil just below surface, awesome for faceplants. Its alien the riding style - awesome fun getting honeymoon experience of learning again tho. Frustrating a bit ...

Looking forward to trying some tow surfing with it too ... need a lot more practice tho, i suck right now, the idea of getting unbroken waves for kms tho is eating away at my brain i know the perfect spot just gotta get some more talent..

Kitesurfer/Waterman/The master at work last year in NZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToJI-QqrCxA

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:15 pm

OK. I will tell my story then. But I think it is hard to know what you want to hear. Then it is easier if you have a specific question about something, you just ask and people will most likely help you.
But first my background:
I have been kitesurfing for 13 years and 9 years ago I were one of the top freestylers on national level. Then I have been around wakeboarding and also been one of the top wakeboarders on national level. As I got older the waves took over and I have been riding a lot of waves and love it. But here where I live we dont have that many really good wave days during summer, so I started courseracing to get some more days on the water. Within a year I was also among the best on national level again. Finally I bought a Carafino foil 2 month ago.
First session:
I knew it was going to be difficult to learn, but I had no idea that is was not the "moves" that were difficult, but more the thougth that the foil was like an axe wanting to hit you all the time. So you are really scared and concentrated all the time. With the Carafino (which is a freeride/beginner) foil , I got up foiling pretty fast and easy the first day. But without warning and without knowing why, the foil could explode out of the water which coursed a lot of crashes, or it would start behave like a cangaroo which also coursed a lot of crashes ;) I love leaning new stuf, and I love when it is not that easy - so all the crashes just got me even more hooked. Course now I really wanted to prove to my self that I was able to do it.
After some days it got better and better, and I learned to go downwind, jibe and rolltack. Still not tacking in the air. I also started to race some of the beginners on racefoils like Taaroa Sword. Upwind I can kind of follow them (they are still faster) but downwind they are just so much faster. And I could not take more speed out of the foil. So I have now bought a racefoil. Unfortunately the tailwing sliped out of my bag, so I have to use a homemade alu wing until I get a new.
I had my first session on it the other day. The first downstroke made me fly across the board and almost hit the foil in a big crash. Next watestart was better and I got on a plane and after some meters I was foiling as well. There were a lot of seaweed so it was really difficult. We found a lagune with no gras, and it went much better. Still I had not that much controle and did not dare to give full speed. But hopefull this will come. But I really felt this butter feeling. On the Carafino it is not butter at all. You feel everything that is going on under you. And also a lot of vibration and also how the waves and difrent angles effect the foil. This is not that nice a feeling, but makes it easier to learn. I dont think I would have been up foiling the first day at all, if I had not used the Carafino freeride foil as a starter.
Sorry that I dont have any pics of my learning procedure, but I am not that good at that.
If any one want to buy the Carafione at a fair price, they can find it here: second_hand.php?task=showAd&id=18577&Itemid=
Hope my story can inspire others to go for a try as well. It is a really special feeling. It any questions just hit me, though I am still no expert at all!! But the best advice I can give, is to have fun along the way while learning ;)

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:24 pm

i would love to be documenting my experience except i don't have my Carifino yet. I'm high on the list for delivery though. i also don't have a camera or a way to make a video. but when i get one and try it, I will certainly talk about it. i regularly watch the vids and search for new ones. It would appear there are only half a dozen riders in the world doing this stuff :)

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:46 pm

I have 10+ videos starting from when I started in April.
Here is one of them on how to ride for the first time:

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Hawaiis, I do like your videos! but I thought you had been at it much longer than you say.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Arcsrule wrote:Hawaiis, I do like your videos! but I thought you had been at it much longer than you say.
I bought my first wakeboard Rush Randle foil in Dec. 2012, and it took me 5 months to convert it to a kiteboard foil. I replaced the snowboard boots and binding to a Hennings rotating foot strap from Denmark. It only fit the front, so I fabricated a home made rear rotating foot strap from home depot parts. The choice of foil and strap position is very important for the beginner. An unbalanced foil is almost impossible to ride. I got up on the first day, and took off the rear strap in a few days. I wanted to go strapless. The aluminum Rush Randle is too heavy for learning strapless, because it sinks too fast before you can start, so I bought the MHL lift. It's balance point was much too forward, I had to step my front foot very close to the nose and it caused the nose to go pearl diving. I am not happy with the MHL because of the twist, wobble and poor workmanship. I bought a new old stock Carafino from Australia, and it is the best of all three. Very strong and balanced, excellent workmanship, and beautiful too. It was good at low speed, so I wanted to go faster and placed an order for the Sword. After 6 weeks of waiting Delahaye emailed me that Sword is ready to ship but the shipping charge will now be doubled. So I cancelled my order started building my own.
Last edited by Hawaiis on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 pm

A most asked question:

Return to “Hydrofoil”