Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Potential safety issue with Epic Renegade kites

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: Potential safety issue with Epic Renegade kites

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:35 am

[/quote]William Munney

I have a quiver of Thrusters. They are well made but a 12m is really closer to the size of a 10m. The wind range of the kites is narrow. The bar is quite durable but the CL release caused too many unintentional releases. I upgraded the CL on one of the bars and may take them out again this spring, but I'm not sure if they will do anything better than my Rebels. They are fun to fly but with constantly changing conditions I need more grunt at the low end. Is anybody still riding with Thrusters? I think I've seen one or two in the last 3 years.[/quote]

Yeah the 10m was a legend but I destroyed it from over use.. Damn it
I was clever enough to mod the bar with a Naish smartloop kit and still use that bar today. The new Epic chicken loop could be fitted as well..
bar1.kf.jpg
I still use my 12m Eclipse thruster when called for - this is in the outer island of Papua Nuginea, a carnival day of out rigger model sailboats. No remote controls and a 30m finish line about a km away, amazing yachts to stay tracking straight... through swell and chop. I thought it may be fun to follow upwind till I realised the consequence of possibly dropping the kite and becoming dinner :o
Eclipse 12.jpg
Eclipse 12.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 pm

This video is dedicated to alex so he can shout his mouth...In case you dont know that kite really excist..and if you are man enough (which i really doubt) this is a renegade kite you can ask a sorry to Dimitri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=c ... pp=desktop

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby balugh » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:36 pm

alexeyga wrote:
soul19 wrote: Alex I am sure if you used your board to control your speeds that you wouldn't need to play with your trim straps as much! I rarely ever touch mine and I am far from great! I do have an extensive history of various board sports so board control is natural for me! It's a shame that you feel this much angst towards Epic as the correspondence I have had with you, you always seemed quite civil. Maybe it's time to just walk away and allow cooler heads to prevail! I seen that you have posted else where that you have good things to say about core kites and it would be nice to see you contribute more inlines with that! At the end of the day brother it is just trivial complaints to such a great sport/lifestyle that we have the privilege to participate in! Take care man!!
James, trust me - I know how to edge with my board, but given that a day with 10knts gusts is a good day around where we live (i doubt it's much different in Ontario) - I also know that a working trimmer is a must-have on all my bars. I really don't see a reason to fight with the kite in gusts if I can simply adjust both the kite and bar's sweet-spot position to the current conditions. I'm not saying that my way is the only right way. But a trimmer that is supposed to be replaced on a weekly basis due to "wear and tear"? Come on!!!

B.t.w. I've ditched C4-s as from 2011 and on Ozone has been working really hard on turning it into RPM and they kinda succeeded, on 2011-s bar pressure was already considerable and it increased even further for 2012...((( 2011 12m is still my favorite C4 ever, should've kept that one!
Don't know where the trim strap comment comes from but I taught with Epic Renegades for 2 years and didn't have one fail. The overall build quality was, I think, par for the industry so could improve. They are very easy to fly and the relaunch is great. I'm not a fan of the safety but then I'm still not convinced by most 4 line safety systems.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm

balugh wrote: I'm not a fan of the safety but then I'm still not convinced by most 4 line safety systems.
Balugh
You should really check out the new 4g bar. The chickenloop is very effective, and when deployed you safety onto one center line, the kite rolls over and sits on the water as if it has been parked on the beach.
Decide to reload? No problem in under 10seconds you can be ready to ride again.

It took sometime to perfect but I think Dimitri has a winner here.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Laughingman wrote:
balugh wrote: I'm not a fan of the safety but then I'm still not convinced by most 4 line safety systems.
Balugh
You should really check out the new 4g bar. The chickenloop is very effective, and when deployed you safety onto one center line, the kite rolls over and sits on the water as if it has been parked on the beach.

Will have to take your word for that at the moment as my experience was with earlier versions....which definitely did not smile at me on one line... :) As a kite junkie I do give most things a trial when I get the opportunity and the new bar looks beefier though I haven't seen it personally yet so I will give it a go when I can.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Pete, you should seriously go out of the Epic bubble more often and see other brand's stuff. I've been riding my kites on the completely stock Naish bar since that whole circus with trimmers has started and to date it has given me zero issues. I find it very simple and effective, even that "below-the-bar trimmer" that everybody (who never used one) are so anal about is working like a charm and is a lot easier to use than D's 4G trimmer which requires 2 hands to be operated. On 3G it was already requiring 2 hands sometimes to get a hold of the trimmer - can't even imagine what mr.D was thinking with 4G when he placed it even further. The other day I was also really surprised by how heavy Epic's bar it-self is, untwisting after a loop felt like swining a piece of a 2X4 in comparison to my other Naish and F-one bars.

If I was to get a new bar to use with Epics - I'd seriously give the new Switch Controller II a shot:
http://switchkites.com/controller2.html

Looks sweet, clean and finally comes with a single-front-line safety. Best part - it's cheaper than any other "standard" 4-lines options to date and by any means better than "any-G" Epic's bar.

Now Pete, what's up with the chicken loop fetish? Seriously? Do you actually get pleasure from yanking your primary safety on a daily basis? It surely looks so from all that 4-g-chicken-loop pimping you're making for mr.D. I won't speak for others, but me - personally - i ride because I like other things than fiddling with the safety... B.t.w. Naish's chicken loop - IMHO - is still the simplest and most compact i've seen to date. I know that it works, I give it a wash from time to time and that's where any thoughts about it end for me. Don't see any reasons to be running around the forum and pimping it though...
nikalaitzian wrote:This video is dedicated to alex so he can shout his mouth...In case you dont know that kite really excist..and if you are man enough (which i really doubt) this is a renegade kite you can ask a sorry to Dimitri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=c ... pp=desktop
Dude, you should seriously ease up on smoking hairs from Dimitri's arse as you seem to have issues thinking straight. Just a thought.

wytcap
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wytcap » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 pm

"Dude, you should seriously ease up on smoking hairs from Dimitri's arse as you seem to have issues thinking straight. Just a thought."

Thats funny!!!! :lol:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:22 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
Pete, you should seriously go out of the Epic bubble more often and see other brand's ...[\quote]

I have over the past 5 years tested everything I could get my hands on, I have only started to fly Epic kites this year. So not in a bubble, but tested lots, and the renegades 4g were the right kites for my wife and I.

If I was to get a new bar to use with Epics - I'd seriously give the new Switch Controller II a shot:
http://switchkites.com/controller2.html
The switch bar is much improved but they did not change 1. The bar is solid aluminum so if weight is an issue you may want to reconsider your choice. 2. Try and reassemble that loop .... It took me a few tries even on land and the bungie pinched me twice while trying. 3. Safety system from end of the loop to the end of the swivel is about an inch longer which means you have to reach further to trim your kite.

Now Pete, what's up with the chicken loop fetish? Seriously? Do you actually get pleasure from yanking your primary safety on a daily basis? It surely looks so from all that 4-g-chicken-loop pimping you're making for mr.D. I won't speak for others, but me - personally - i ride because I like other things than fiddling with the safety... B.t.w. Naish's chicken loop - IMHO - is still the simplest and most compact i've seen to date. I know that it works, I give it a wash from time to time and that's where any thoughts about it end for me. Don't see any reasons to be running around the forum and pimping it though..
1. My wife is not comfortable with a below the bar depower.
2. I think it is wise to pull your safety and reassemble it every time you go out.
3. I have nothing to gain by expressing my likes or dislikes of any brand so I am only informing, not pimping... Or hating as it is in your case.

Why don't you learn to be a bit more positive and embrace what you like rather then spend so much energy on being negative... Why should you care about what I like or don't like... I certainly don't give a shit about what you think.... After all that I have seen you post it is hard to even consider you want me to actually answer you.
So unless you want to have a constructive conversation please refrain from addressing me directly as I find you to be a very distasteful type of person.

And I was replying to balagh.... Not you... Clear enough?
Cheers
Pete.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Laughingman wrote: And I was replying to balagh.... Not you... Clear enough?
Cheers
Pete.
As clear as it gets! That being said, if you want to keep pimping that 4G-chicken-loop - please start your own Epic-pimping thread and refrain from doing so in my Epic-Hating thread, please! Clear enough?

B.t.w. you might remember that i've re-gutted my 3G bar with Switch parts and I have absolutely nothing to say about the Switch's chicken loop. It's on a heavy side, but everything works and I had no issues re-arming it.

Cheers!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm

balugh wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
Balugh

Will have to take your word for that at the moment as my experience was with earlier versions....which definitely did not smile at me on one line... :) As a kite junkie I do give most things a trial when I get the opportunity and the new bar looks beefier though I haven't seen it personally yet so I will give it a go when I can.
Certainly do, I absolutely despise the early "blade" safety which Dimitri sold with his kites and have publicly stated that until it was replaced with a system that worked I would not consider Epic kites.... I have 5 Renegades now....

Return to “Kitesurfing”