Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Has or will Fukushima affect Pacific riders?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Has or will Fukushima affect Pacific riders?

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Ok , on topic - who wants to kite near a nuclear power station. Clean healthy beaches rule.

but i gotta say..
How risky is kiteboarding? You can quote numbers like fatalities per thousand hours, or per year, but none of those numbers mean anything unless you can compare it against other sports like basketball, cave diving or bicycling. Without perspective you can't tell what danger is.
What are you on about IKA your self proclaimed worldwide representative expert on kiteboarding says kiteboarding is as safe as any other sport in their report to ISAF. Never mind the at least 16 people killed or critically injured since the report was written last year (at least 8 fatals since)... Respect, much? With publicly release information like this it is no wonder newcomers dont have the respect for their flying wings like back in the day.
highlights.png

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Toby wrote:A Guy from Bavaria, Germany just told me that they still don't eat mushrooms from their area...when was Tschernobyl? And it wasn't that bad, no?

My friends dad died from cancer last year...he was an officer at Tschernobyl...he was the last of all his colleagues...

Radiation is no problem! But again I bet those who say all is ok don't eat Japanese fish...
I tend to believe that effects are cumulative and long term, and that once you screw with one system another is effected. There is some concern for the random genetic mutations that may occur on a very basic level in the marine life. Potentially this sort of radioactive pollution could have a chain reaction..perhaps very subtle...but in the end it reaches everything on the planet. And do the genetic mutations manifest themselves in future generations of plants, animals, humans....from now until eternity?

I think the issues might be compared to concerns about GMO food products. The question is - are these things ultimately healthy for humans, animals, plant life, micro-organisms, etc.... Everything is connected....you and dilute and compare to other exposures, but this thing ain't going away soon.

People talk about solar radiation...yeah, but we screwed that up too by blasting the shite out of the ozone layer. As a result the prospect of doing a circumnavigation passing Antarctica might be about as inviting as hanging out at the coffee shop across from Fukushima. By the way, many of the farmers in the area are growing their crops post-Fukishima, but they will not eat their own food..and they feel guilty about it.

They are still trying to figure out how to contain the Fukishima plant (and protect it from a potential meltdown - or from another Tsunami, either of which would be catastrophic) for long term shut-down, so that drama is far from over. Perhaps they forgot to write the manual for what to do with the accident that happened over there...but, like others have said...people will believe whatever they want to. I don't think dismissing this as an insignificant disaster makes any sense.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:20 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:What are you on about IKA your self proclaimed worldwide representative expert on kiteboarding says kiteboarding is as safe as any other sport in their report to ISAF. Never mind the at least 16 people killed or critically injured since the report was written last year (at least 8 fatals since)... Respect, much? With publicly release information like this it is no wonder newcomers dont have the respect for their flying wings like back in the day.

I found what you said difficult to understand, longwhite. What does "Respect much" mean? Is it some kind of parable?

My only point is that you can't compare things in isolation. For instance if you catch a tuna in the ocean it will be radioactive, because of the polonium (which comes from sea water not fukishima). There's a bit of cesium in there too (this is from fukushima) but I think it's 100 times less radioactive than the polonium. If you compare it to a banana a tunafish caught off Japan is 100 times less radioactive than a banana. Bananas have potassium which is naturally radioactive.

Taken in isolation I can tell you yes, tuna fish caught just off shore from california have a measurable amount of cesium which yes in fact came from the fukushima plant. If you stop there, you can think well, case closed, radioactivity from fukushima is poisoning everything. But if you go on to compare it to how much polonium there is or radioactivity in other foods or how much radiation you get from walking around without a hat, that puts it in perspective.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm

"respect much" is me being a sarcastic bstard lol means that in my opinion IKA has no respect for the dangers of kiteboarding by not exercising due diligence. Your analogy of kiteboarding safety was perfect to demonstrate this - ie you need to compare to other sports.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:"respect much" is me being a sarcastic bstard lol means that in my opinion IKA has no respect for the dangers of kiteboarding by not exercising due diligence. Your analogy of kiteboarding safety was perfect to demonstrate this - ie you need to compare to other sports.
got it

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 am

robertovillate wrote: ...

I tend to believe that effects are cumulative and long term, and that once you screw with one
And i imagine that there are Ignorant "Fools" , that would disagree
with what you just wrote ; personally i believe your Correct !! :thumb: :thumb:

As for Fukushima :
"i think it was complete and Total load of Pure Crap, that the world and it's inhabitants, would
just Let a country build a nuclear power plant , in an aria that was Known to be at Risk
for Tsunami" !!!
And WHAT happened to that devise ; the one that the scientist said would be Safe ?
((it got destroyed by a Tsunami)) ------------------------------------imagine That !!

Humans shouldn't be allowed to play with radioactive stuff ; there TO0oo fricken Stupid !

Bille

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:24 am

"e=mc2...it's one helluva way to boil water" (albert einstein)

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:59 am

Geronimo79 wrote:I've seen the image behind the guy in the video several times its not even about radiation polution but everybody believes it because ooow the enviroment.. it has become a trigger word to shut down critical thinking.
Geronimo79, this thread is an interesting reminder of the challenges people face regarding perspective.

For many without truly educated views into a particular issue (including well-meaning but non-physics/chemistry/biology/mathematics/statistics/ecomomics/medicine/whatever-educated journalists), it's hard to tell the difference between opposing eloquently-presented perspectives, even if one perspective is actually a thousand times better founded than the other. (It's a major reason that belief systems are so tribal in nature, and the cause of much conflict.)

The fact that the colourful graphic in question is a shameless misrepresentation is evidently of secondary concern, at best, to some who agree with the message, or with the messenger.

Here are a few areas of note which are regularly hopelessly misunderstood and/or misrepresented, among media producers and consumers of media alike:

Big numbers. For (apropos) example, many don't readily comprehend the difference between a body of water containing a quadrillion litres of water and one containing a septillion litres. They both sound, simply, really big. But you could fit a thousand thousand thousand of one into the other, which is similar to a football compared to a football stadium.

Similarly, a government-spending news story involving a few million dollars spent or misspent can invoke similar passion to that of a few billion dollars, even though one is next-to-nothing compared to the other.

Chemicals. Chemical this, chemical that, often with negative context, expressed with chemistry-illiteracy. Pure water is a chemical, as are the constituents of everything else found in nature. Expressing them in molecular terms or calling them chemicals doesn't make them badder.

Percentages, stated without any reference to (or even apparent understanding of) the fact that percentages are fractions of specific quantities, and not quantities themselves.

Relative context. The threat of death resulting from regular fast food ingestion is far more serious than that related to certain adventure sports, or terrorists. Similarly, I suspect the threat of sun-induced skin cancer among those who play outside may be less than the threat of sedentary-lifestyle-induced cardiovascular disease among those afraid of the former.

Cheers,
James

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:11 am

tantrum25 wrote:Just wondering what the riders in Maui think about the situation.

Are the radiation levels too low for any potential harm to kiters and swimmers?

Has anyone noticed any changes in the wildlife/nature/beaches at your local spots?

Cheers
I love these nationalized ego-centric posts... like CNNs "reporting" of the original earthquake.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:03 am

Kamikuza wrote: ...
I love these nationalized ego-centric posts... like CNNs "reporting" of the original earthquake.
Nothing Nationalistic about My post ; we probably sold-Em the Damn plans !!

I'm even More Pissed, that someone talked the blind rats, (us/me) into
building a Nuke-plant on a fault-line in Ca ; have a look at This :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Can ... nerability

Like i said : " Humans are TO0oo fricken Stupid , to be allowed
to play with radioactive stuff !!

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”