Forum for travel reports and travel questions
kitesurfingdude
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sardinia,Italy

Postby kitesurfingdude » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:34 am

Sardinia was a great kitesurfing spot.Spent 1week in Chia.about an hour sout west of Cagliari.got Ryanir flights from Dublin-London-Alghero(70euro)and rented a car for 260euro for the week.camped in Chia too.Definately go back some stage this autumn.cheap pizza,booze.not too many tourists about in sept.wind blows >15knots 280 days of the year

Lolo
Frequent Poster

Postby Lolo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:36 pm

Only in Chia?! Well, in Sardinia there are hundred of amazing kite spots: Funtana Meiga (or Capo Mannu) on the West side, Poetto at Cagliari on the South not far from Chia, Villasimius at the lower East corner, Costa Rey on the East, the whole North from Olbia to Alghero....
Wind, sun, blue sky, friendly people, mediterranean environenment. It's the place for me.
:thumb:

OttoB
Rare Poster

Postby OttoB » Mon May 08, 2006 11:45 pm

It must be my lucky day. I think I found some guys that could have advice for me. I am planning a kitesurf active vacation to Sardinia in July. But where should I go? I guess that depends on the average wind directions and strengths. Do you have any advice or resource on this?

The optimal place would have:
- suitable wind
- less tourism
- naturally beautiful surroundings
- history

What is the less touristy part of Sardinia?
And do you think it would be safe for me and my girlfriend to stay in a motorhome?

Lolo
Frequent Poster

Postby Lolo » Tue May 09, 2006 11:03 am

Ok, I got the point (and your PM).

The wildest area in Sardinia is the West Coast. There is an area called Piscinas, where you have to drive 1-2 hours to go down there. It is south of Oristano, a huge wild beach with sourrounded by Mediterranean vegetation and dunes. But, there is always a but....
There are a lot of mosquitos, which pissed me off and the sand is not that beautiful compared to many other beaches.
I can not say anything about wind, when I was there there was no wind at all, but it may come as thermal and the whole West Coast is open to Mistral (Maestrale), which blows you away.

Going south, reaching the south west tip, you will found also Porto Pino, white big sand dunes and blue waters, almost wild.
Going to the north part, I suggest you la Costa delle Rose, between Porto Torres and S. Teresa. It is a very large costal area with beaches and rocks, quite wild.
A bit northward from Oristano you can also stop in Putzu Iddu (or Capo Mannu) where you get beautiful beaches and,if Maestrale blows, you can get maybe the best wave spot in the Mediterranean Sea.
Anyway the whole West Coast is really beautiful and less turistic: Bosa (no kiting here), Torre Argentina (no kiting here), Alghero, Torre dei Corsari (no kiting here) are fantastic.

Remember that free camping is usually not allowed (sometimes tollerated), and it might be also dangerous.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Sun May 14, 2006 11:17 am

Yes you van kite at Bosa... I did last year!
You can find a lot of info on kitebeaches.com or else try my gallery...
http://www.xray-on.nl/sardegna2005kite/

Image[/i]

daypeter
Rare Poster

Sardinia

Postby daypeter » Tue May 16, 2006 7:19 pm

Now is the best time for Sardinia.
Taxi service from to Alghero/Olbia/Cagliari for the best spot http://www.holidaysas.com

ciao :bye:
Piero

Kite Adventures
Frequent Poster
Location: San Francisco, CA and Brazil (Kite Adventures tourism company)

Postby Kite Adventures » Fri May 19, 2006 2:14 pm

i'm going to chia for 10 days in 3 weeks. Cannot wait!
We're also starting to run tours there next year.

Guy D
Rare Poster

Postby Guy D » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:04 am

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I am off to Sardinia this weekend and wondered where on the Island tends to have the best wind. Looking at windguru etc it is not looking great wind wise for the next week so was hoping someone will tell me that local thermic action will kick in and I will still get to sail!!

What size kites would you recommend?

Thank you :D :thumb:

Return to “Travel”