Noone riding hydrofoils ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Noone riding hydrofoils ?

Postby Tone » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Great stuff Holden.

I hope to have a foil shortly.

I am going to go straight for a race design, I can't really afford to go low aspect when my goal is high aspect! might as well expect a frustrating ride!

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:50 pm

no worries, tone, you will be fine! there is a big advantage with high ar foils. they are more roll stable. this was one of my main issues i had in the very beginning with the standard ketos foil. you will need a wee bit more board speed to stay in the air on a more efficient foil but that is not necessarily a bad thing. and it will be easier to learn how to ride it out downwind.

after you have learned how to stay in the air for some time (balance pitch, bitch!) try to take control over the roll axis by using the yaw axis. it is a bit like on a bike. yaw to the right and you will start leaning to the left. yaw to the left to balance and more to the left to get back to upright. yaw control is quite easy since your feet have a good lever for that.

h.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:51 pm

ronnie wrote: ...

You might find the rotating straps useful on the twintip foil as they tend to shift your weight toward whichever is the back end of the board due to the heels moving by about 6".
Good One --ronnie--
and there's Nothing written, that says the pivot has to be in the Center
of the rotating strap ; might get an extra inch or two out of that , with some
experimentation . I'll make a plate so i can change the strap position relative
to pivot position for my TT .

The directions that --Hawaiis-- gave me , will work just fine for this experiment .
I'll try it on my 145 Underground and see how it goes ! If it doesn't work with the
off-set plate, i can get rid of it and go with the stock arrangement --Hawaiis-- mentioned.

I already bin told that i Need this , and more options is better !!!
holden wrote: ...

after you have learned how to stay in the air for some time (balance pitch, bitch!) try to take control over the roll axis by using the yaw axis. it is a bit like on a bike. yaw to the right and you will start leaning to the left. yaw to the left to balance and more to the left to get back to upright. yaw control is quite easy since your feet have a good lever for that.

h.
And what you just mentioned, is exactly why i don't think i'll ever be able to
ride a stock hydrofoil , with my fake-legs ; i'll need a bit of mechanical
help , but definitely think it's Do-able or i wouldn't even Try !!

Ya see why i'm so interested in that rotating strap now ?

Bille

TPink
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 pm

holden wrote:hi folks,

ok, here is my story: i started in sept 2011 on a carafino with fastafoil foils. there is a video of my first attempt. the title is: practice in humbleness.
http://vimeo.com/40138437

after this day i ordered a ketos, first with standard front foil and after half a year with the race foil. since i wanted to go strapless i tried it after my second session and failed totally. it is rather easy to get onto the board without straps but once you are on your foil you have no chance as a beginner. the main reason is the lack of roll stability you are not able to handle without at least the front foot fixed to the board. so i learned with the front strap.

i was at the first foilboard world cup in la ciotat with a friend who participated.

the same friend built my recent high ar foil which i am on since april 2013. i sold my ketos.
videos form this summer:
http://vimeo.com/70921237
http://vimeo.com/71566979
http://vimeo.com/71883986

every step forward takes a while and you need a lot of patience. i was able to get onto the foil and float in for a while after a few hours on the first day in perfect conditions. light wind, steady. on my third or fourth session i felt the upwind potential for the first time and found out how impossible it is to go downwind as a beginner. it took me many sessions to do my first jibe in one direction and so on.

what i totally love about foilboarding besides the floating feeling is that you so own the space. you can go anywhere in no time. also in low winds. as soon as you can go upwind is no problem. you can go vmax in under 10 knots. there are so many strange things that result from this.

the most recent news is that i got an elf joker d-8 11.3m. the characteristics of this kite matches the spirit of the foilboard in a great way. the low end is unreal.

h.
Thanks Holden,

looks like you've gotten it mastered.

How long/wide is the board you're using in the vids? and what's the strut length?
Can you post a pic of your front High AR foil?

Thanks!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 am

Awesome to see Holden, great advice and video's :thumb:

8) Peter

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:26 am

Bille wrote:
ronnie wrote: ...

You might find the rotating straps useful on the twintip foil as they tend to shift your weight toward whichever is the back end of the board due to the heels moving by about 6".
Good One --ronnie--
and there's Nothing written, that says the pivot has to be in the Center
of the rotating strap ; might get an extra inch or two out of that , with some
experimentation . I'll make a plate so i can change the strap position relative
to pivot position for my TT .

The directions that --Hawaiis-- gave me , will work just fine for this experiment .
I'll try it on my 145 Underground and see how it goes ! If it doesn't work with the
off-set plate, i can get rid of it and go with the stock arrangement --Hawaiis-- mentioned.

I already bin told that i Need this , and more options is better !!!
holden wrote: ...

h.
And what you just mentioned, is exactly why i don't think i'll ever be able to
ride a stock hydrofoil , with my fake-legs ; i'll need a bit of mechanical
help , but definitely think it's Do-able or i wouldn't even Try !!

Ya see why i'm so interested in that rotating strap now ?

Bille
There are a number of snowboard rotating plates. There are also clip in systems for skis and (I presume) snowboards, so you might be best with a rotating clip in system which releases at a load set by you.

This doesn't have the auto release.

http://www.jumpusa.com/swivler_rotating ... dings.html

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Arcsrule » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 pm

thanks for the vids Holden. I've worn those out you've posted to FOILZONE.

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:23 pm

thanks @all for the nice feedback!

the black deck i use is a custom wave board made by a friend who integrated the inserts for the foil mount. the deck is 155x45. it is pretty perfect for me and i used it in waves, too. the most important thing is the scoop. if it is too small, the nose will get caught in the water when you go down to fast as seen on my first day video. the scoop of the carafino deck was way too small. it should not be too broad, since it will touch the waves when you go upwind but not too narrow so you feel comfortable when jibing and tacking. other than that i like a soft stand with a good grip for long sessions.
Attachments
DSC01085c_resize.JPG

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:29 pm

the strut length of my foil is 90cm.

the picture shows 3 of 4 ever built foilgaz foils :)

h.
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (98.7 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 pm

tree more pics...
Attachments
file1.jpg
file1.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 1430 times