wainman kite settings for surf.

Forum for kitesurfers
yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

wainman kite settings for surf.

Postby yzbob » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Question for the Wainman riders out there using the kites in the surf. What settings are you using in the waves.
Downwind, upwind, standard?
Normal lines, short lines?

Do u adjust for different conditions or always keep them the same?

Thanks

Bob

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Re: wainman kite settings for surf.

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm

the setting right before fast, it makes the kite fast and able to park it easily, plus you can crank on the bar and the kite moves fast enough for me...

i kept it on upwind, but i imagine some guys like stock

i tried downwind once, not my cup of tea

we get wind waves though so only ride it for a couple of seconds, i can see riding it on downwind on a nice long onshore barrel

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 pm

I was out on mr green today, strong wind almost fully depowered. I keep it on 1 setting before fast as well but the smoke i set fast. so far been mainly riding both on downwind. wind waves only few seconds long. But i tried both upwind and downwind settings today on 7.5m in quick succession. I prefer downwind, found the kite more relaxed on downwind, smoother ride, drifts nicely but still turns fast when you need it. I also have removed the 6m extensions from 1 of my bars and love using the short 17m lines if the wind is really strong. Was on std lines today though.

Interested to here other wave riders opinions...

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wondamic » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 pm

I ride my rabbits on the single line connection when possible. The weight limit to this setting is 180lbs though...I love this setting 'cause it flies more direct and IMO it's more stable. Otherwise, if I'm flying on bridles it's set to stock setting for the front lines and then fast on the rear lines on all my kites.

"upwind" setting will give your kite a larger turning radius and the "downwind" will make the kite pivot. The best way to feel and see the difference is to do a kiteloop on both settings.

Cheers!
Mike
www.airbornekiteboarding.com

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Hey Bob,
On the 12M, I keep it stock (middle setting) on the front bridle, and fast setting (closest to tailing edge) for steering. But try them all and see which you like best. I like the 12M with extra line extensions making it longer than stock.
For the 5M-9M and I use single line bridle (closer to center of kite setting) and fast setting for steering (closest to tailing edge). I like the stock flying line length. For single line, the advised weight limit is 180#, but I am 200# and ride a surfboard, and single line works just fine for me (feels closer to a c-kite on single line), just have to pump it up very firm, else the shoulders will kink under powered moves. For the steering line connection, as you move away from tailing edge, the steering input slows down and the bar pressure goes up. For the 2.5M RSE, I use the setting away from the tailing edge of the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”