Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Homemade split boards

Forum for kitesurfers
loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Homemade split boards

Postby loco4viento » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Here are a couple of my experimental boards, inspired by the airline industry and my amigo Mountainkiter who did a great job splitting a spleene board last year. They are recycled old boards split with a jigsaw, midline edges sealed with solarez, cheap pine struts (would prefer hardwood or an old plastic cutting board but these are just my first quick versions of this concept), 1/4 inch stainless steel screws through a 1/4 inch hole in the struts and flat no-prong T nuts (also called weld nuts) through the bottom of the board in a 5/16 hole. Grabbed a few straps, an old set of pads for one board and some skateboard grip tape for the other. A little tape over the junction to keep water from squirting up. I probably spent 20 bucks on the stainless steel hardware in addition to what I had around. Quick to make. Kind of fun actually. They work great and I'm looking forward to trying out a few more ideas. Just wanted to share a fun experiment with anyone who cares, particularly those who are reluctant to shell out big for a commercial split board but still like to travel with as little expense and hassle as possible. Would love to see your cheap homemade boards as well.

John
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Homemade split boards

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Looks really good.

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey Loco,
That's awesome! I did the EXACT same thing several years back with an old wake board. BUT, I made a mistake. I mounted my stiffeners before I cut the board! Ahhhh, fatal flaw! I had a 1/4 inch saw blade gap between the two pieces! It still rode, but water shot up the gap bad.

I won hesitate to do this again, it's just I need a kitesurfing vacation to go on first!

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:17 am

Water can shoot up that gap really well. A piece of tear-aid tape along the undersurface covering the split would be a nice thing if you're using the board for an entire vacation, disassembling it only for travel. Otherwise a bit of duct tape or even an integrated strip of plastic on the top surface would be helpful. This is a simple cheap do it yourself mod that isn't nearly as sweet as the expensive commercial boards, but it's nice to know that you can inexpensively use an old beat up board and save huge money and hassles while traveling. I was concerned that the cheap pine struts would break but they seem to get the job done so far in the early stages of testing.

I bet that old wake board of yours might do well with a bit of filler. I would cover one side of the board with plastic wrap, then assemble the board, tape the bottom surface and then fill the gap with your favorite substance (aqua-seal, marine-tek, 3M 5200, shoe goo, etc) and see how it turns out. I wouldn't be surprised if it works out well.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 am

loco4viento wrote:Water can shoot up that gap really well.

I wonder if the board would go faster, if air was rammed down
the gap instead ?

Bille

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:03 am

Is the board really stable? Feel like it would have lots of flex at the split

braveman
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby braveman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:44 am

Bille wrote:
loco4viento wrote:Water can shoot up that gap really well.

I wonder if the board would go faster, if air was rammed down
the gap instead ?

Bille
You can always use an air pump to pump up your board while kiting 8)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 am

I reckon the best way to made budget travel twintip is to make a plank the width of your stance. then 2 x 1/2 boards with a rocker below bolted together. Maybe 9mm ply everything. salt water paint. I gonna just buy the cheapest piece of crap surfboard from second hand trader in future i reckon - airline have gone CRRRAzy with thier fees for kite stuff/sports gear.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:27 am

darippah wrote:Is the board really stable? Feel like it would have lots of flex at the split
Both boards feel really stable, the connection seems super solid.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 am

longwhitecloud wrote:.... airline have gone CRRRAzy with thier fees for kite stuff/sports gear.
Completely agree. Awful. I just don't feel like dealing with those oversize bag policies anymore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”