Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wave Kite blues

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Wave Kite blues

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Ohhhhhh he's got a friend now I am so moved why don't two of you get a room now :heartface:

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:09 pm

No, I just thought that was funny, sorry.
:remybussi:
I do agree with your posts regarding onshore vs. offshore wave riding and kite design.
Very important points about a kite that will drift and be grunty while ON a wave yet will shoot up wind when OFF the wave to get out of the impact zone is very important...I think kite the next thing in wave kites will be for those who ride in onshore and those who ride offshore wave conditions...I foresee a split in designs...not sure how that would play out...
:advise:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:50 pm

I am sorry too for driving my point so hard I just didn't realized I was speaking at lame surfer convention. For those who like forward flying kite in onshore conditions I recommend something like Ozone Edge but obviously with cool graphics doh....You will be able to go quickly and efficiently upwind away from the impact zone where the dangers are lurking. You could be eaten, dumped into the lines your board taken from you by white water and returned to the beach......lots of stuff to avoid.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I have liked using the strutless Cloud kite in waves, onshore and sideshore.
Strutless hasn't taken over from "normal" kites, but for waves, the cloud has advantages imo.

It depowers completely if you sheet out with the bar, great for feeling the wave and matching its speed. Pull in the bar and crank a turn, the kite will turn and shoot across the window fast, also good for waves.
Need drift? The cloud has it, way better than most.
Riding in onshore, the kite will stay stable and drift as you shoot down a wave. As the strutless canopy luffs, the L/D drops, so it goes back in the window, but without risk of stall, since it is luffing, not oversheeted or "choked" to go back in the window, as you must do with many kites to send them back.
When you sheet in though, it flies forward.
Sheet in, trim the board for speed, or turn around to go out through the break, the luffing disappears, drag from the luffing canopy is gone, apparent wind kicks in, the kite flies forward in the window, and makes more power, carrying you upwind with speed.

It's not perfect. To get this performance, what you give up is good steering while sheeted out (which few kites have anyway), and top end range. To me it's a good compromise, since I don't feel like I need the kite to steer fast at the same time it is drifting. When it is drifting, I want it to just sit up there and let me concentrate on turning or trimming the board, enjoying the wave. To redirect, sheet in and the kite will turn really fast, no problem. It would be nice to have an extra couple of knots on the top end, but for waves it is really better to go down a size when you can anyway, no need to hold onto a 17 (or even 13) in 18knots.

BTW I own only one Cloud, size 17, and I paid for it, no affiliation or deals or whatever. I fly other kites in other sizes and I am not going to pimp one kite or brand for all purposes. But I will admit I would like to have a 10m Cloud for better wave days.
If you want to try something totally different in the waves, try a Cloud if you get a chance. You might like it. I think it's good, especially in onshore because it drifts amazingly , shuts off, turns fast, and gets you upwind.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Maybe not completely strutless, less struts yes, maybe just one. The most used size in onshore is 7m so it might work with just one, the wind gets gusty in 25-30 knots range. Too me it has to stay deep, turn with power and good steering so you can go down the wave with confidence.

BIP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California
Style: strapless
Gear: BladeKites
Brand Affiliation: BladeKites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BIP » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:56 am

Blade triggers are sick in the waves check em out