Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Board,

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Boa

Postby stefaans » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:02 pm

That's pretty cool. seen allot of foil boards break right at the front bolts when nose goes in. this could save your foil.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:10 pm

steffannas is totally correct

the pic that carafino posted IS a mini tuttle and gets used in surf boards as thats the biggest fins they usually support, i use them in my home built speed boards too for sub 10 cm fins.... NOT for a Hydrofoil .

the pics that Jonny Rotton posted, one was a windsurfing power box, the other was a tuttle box.

to confuse things further there is a Deep tuttle box that has far more depth of engagement and what the windsurf Formula board use for 70 cm fins. its this box type that Foil board builders arer using.

so yeah get the facts right and you look more credible and don't jump on people especially when you freely admit to knowing next to nothing..

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:45 am

Remember admiring the newind race boards a while back,
Dude is REALLY good with carbon,

Nice to see they've made the transition to foil boards without much more than a blink.

C A R A F I N O 2014
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui and the World.
Favorite Beaches: Maui and the World.
Style: Perfect
Gear: CARAFINO AND NAISH
Brand Affiliation: CARAFINO AND NAISH

Postby C A R A F I N O 2014 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Guys:

Just checking back in with the topic, sorry for the late reply.

First, I must also apologise because the photo of the small tuttle box appeared to be misleading and that was not my suit. The tuttle box weather large or small is still a tuttle box. This we can all agree on.

I spoke with the old guard of windsurf builders and the tuttle box resolved the issue of fin boxes pulling out of the windsurf boards back in the day.

The larger tuttle box is stronger as it has a greater surface area to adhere to the foam inside a board. With that said, it is not secret that your much better off putting any inserts into PU foam and mounting that into the eps.

On another note, what really stirkes me funny is that guys really get tweeked here if there is something taken slightly outside the intended definition. Which is one reason I have never spent any time on a forum in all my life. I have just been a guy who does it and whatever anybody else thought that I conceived as wrong, I ignored it. You have take this position or you just keep looking back. So if we agree to disagree, its all cool.

However, I appreciate all the input both pro and con. Nonetheless, the tuttle box will begin to wear down. This is my position. period. We can agree to disagree gentlemanly like.

I also noticed this Next wind product of a foil. Very simple to make anything flat in carbon. Also I have found that floating hydrofoils do not move through the water with marksmanship as solid or carbon hollowed. They are too light in weight. Period. But keep in mind, as long as your having fun that is all that matters. But now everyone wants to go fast. For me, I have just made a have fun foil for over 12 years. Now I make a go fast. So we will see if I know what I am talking about in the near future.

I rode several floating foils in France and they had a different feel. Same like a traditional surfboard vs. an eps, epoxy, stringer less board that comes out of China. It is just different. But I commend next wind for the work they have done.

I suppose now that this has become an" everyone in the game to sell a foil". It will boil down to quality product, extremely sexy looking product, priced well below all the hard work going into the product. I am sure I can bring the product under the sixteen hundred dollar range fully complete in carbon. We have traditionally sold foils for over 12 years for 1200 to 1400 dollars. Its our goal to keep the product reachable for everyone. This is hugely important. No reason to spend upwards of 2+ grand on just a foil and lose a race on it, what for?

I will feature the Race and Performance boards this week with a video and pics and share the designs in detail for your opinions. I have been on holiday before the holidays to avoid the rush.

What I am really excited about is the new foil. And a new course racing board that will forever change course racing. Because actually, I have been making foils for over 12 years. So all the newbies are excited but it is a bit of old work for me. Everyone is just coming down the road I already paved. I am looking into the future where course racing should go and the prize money for racers should be in excess of 100 to 500 K with the sport televised. This is my vision. I hope you support me. Happy Holidays

Carafino
Attachments
images-1.jpeg
images-1.jpeg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
Tuttle Box 001.jpg
tuttleruss1.jpg
tuttleruss1.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
Last edited by C A R A F I N O 2014 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:00 am

It's such a shame you have to rubbish other brands all the time.

It makes me not want anything to do with your company.

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:19 am

Wow, definitely the current foil business is full of innovative new concepts, such as loud bragging to do PR and restore lost reputation.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 am

C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:Hi Guys:

Just checking back in with the topic, sorry for the late reply.

First, I must also apologise because the photo of the small tuttle box appeared to be misleading and that was not my suit. The tuttle box weather large or small is still a tuttle box. This we can all agree on.

Carafino
A mini tuttle and a deep tuttle are both tuttles yes.

That's like saying a chihuahua and a timber wolf are both dogs.

If manufacturers are making foil boards with deep tuttle boxes and not having problems (unless you crash the foil into something solid) then you would be best just sticking with promoting your own product.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:43 pm

C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:First, I must also apologise...
Please stop using a resized font or capitals in your posts. Read rules about posting and obey to them.
It is annoying

I really do not read your probably value posts as I cannot go through such visual mess.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm

You are blowing it Carafino. You bash everybody else and have nothing to back anything up with and no proven product yourself.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 pm

It may be easier to mold a flat foil without anhedral curve or winglets, but is it easier to design a flat foil that rides well?
I have been led to believe, by what I've read at least, that it is an achievement to get the handling right, without using curvature, winglets, lower AR etc.....

Return to “Hydrofoil”