Are Switch kites getting any better?

Forum for kitesurfers
peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby peterheirman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:43 am

Switch Method V2 are always amongst the best wave riders in The Netherlands.
So I guess they are very good.
Go well upwind. Turn nicely but not tight like a delta (or the earlier versions of RRD Religion)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:57 pm

mogmachine wrote:This thread kind of went from "Are Switch kites getting any better?" in two directions ...

1) a global review of all switch kites, ...not a bad thing I might add, ..but I think it was aptly put by a number of people here and is so true, ...ALL kite reviews are distorted and only really relevant if you know and trust the rider, ..and are aware of their riding style.

I rode Torches for 10 years, ...I have recently switched to Switch and the Combat2's ....they are great kites, ..they are completely different to the Torches and I am not going to bore you with a lengthy review, ..if you want to know you can contact me privately, ..but the important thing to note is that only a small percentage of you will ride in the same style as I do and want and feel the same things from I kite as I do, ....so to 90% of you anything I say about how I feel about the kite is irrelevant, ...except for the quality and durability (and even that is subjective to how well I treat my kites both off and on the water).

2) Is the brand getting better, ....without insulting the nature of the thread. ...yes. Is the Latest kites from North, Naish etc better than 3 years ago? (that is rhetorical ...we don't need to start that discussion here ;) ).

What is important however is whether the Switch model of business is getting better, ...and more than getting better, .getting more widely excepted as viable and working. ...and this stems across more than the kiting industry, as new companies embody the technology driven opportunities available and more utilise the direct-sales model.

Bill Hansen seems to be the best at articulating this ....so we interviewed him about it, ....of course he is biased, ..he works for Switch, ...but he makes some interesting points especially about obstacles faced by direct-sales, ...touched on in this thread earlier when it was mentioned about removal of Switch reviews and posts before advertising was paid for, and lack of Switch exposure in Magazines.

http://www.kitesista.com/kitesista-talks-switch-kites/ ....read it before you accuse me of hijacking the post ;)

Awesome read thanks.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm wondering about the Switch direct sales model. If they plan on sticking with it, or they aspire to be more conventional.
Best started out with the same shtick. "We're cutting out the middle man to bring you great prices!" Now they want $1800 for a 13M C kite.
I guess only time will tell

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Bain:
The answer is absolutely unequivocally no change in the direct sales model. Now three years in, Switch has a substantial investment in a global on-line distribution and customer service system which delivers high-quality, affordable product to customers quickly and conveniently without middlemen taking a 'cut' from the end user's pocket. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Well the "cut" became too small for this year at 1000 euro for a complete Nitro 10, is the same price naish, blade and other retail brands around here...
An example for Park naish 2014http://www.naish.gr/kiteboard/kites/park-14-complete.html

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:04 pm

dimip wrote:Well the "cut" became too small for this year at 1000 euro for a complete Nitro 10, is the same price naish, blade and other retail brands around here...
An example for Park naish 2014http://www.naish.gr/kiteboard/kites/park-14-complete.html
Select the size in the drop down menu and see what happens....

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Faxie wrote:
dimip wrote:Well the "cut" became too small for this year at 1000 euro for a complete Nitro 10, is the same price naish, blade and other retail brands around here...
I did... answer $1300 for an 11m which according to google = 950euros. Prob kite only tho.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote:Hi Bain:
The answer is absolutely unequivocally no change in the direct sales model. Now three years in, Switch has a substantial investment in a global on-line distribution and customer service system which delivers high-quality, affordable product to customers quickly and conveniently without middlemen taking a 'cut' from the end user's pocket. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Lets not forget its those middlemen/retailers who are fighting for beach access, giving lessons, doing demos, are there to back up issues with gear , and also have lots of products that you may need in a pinch. These are the guys and gals that keep these niche sports alive, it would be aweful IMO if they had to close from lack of support.
Last edited by matth on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

switchkites
Medium Poster
Gear: SwitchKites
Brand Affiliation: SwitchKites

Postby switchkites » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:54 pm

sijandy wrote:I did... answer $1300 for an 11m which according to google = 950euros. Prob kite only tho.

Hi sijandy, Not sure exactly which '11m' kite you were after - we have three current models in an 11m. None of these sell for more than €755.00 incl VAT and shipping.

Please be sure that the correct location is set and the correct currency is showing - if you are not seeing these figures then we would certainly be interested in hearing from you so we can track down the problem.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Faxie wrote:

the difference is 100 something did also a more fair compare with the 9 element 933 euros 1090 the park... Look everybody can sell at the price they think, but the slogan ''we cut the middle man'' exits only for the company profit not the customers............

Return to “Kitesurfing”