Forum for kitesurfers
coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 6 kites in light wind test

Postby coleman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:03 pm

For me pure light wind riding is more about the board than the kite. I am getting my best light wind performance with my current setup. Wainman big mama 14.5 and mikes lab 70cm race board.

With this type of board if there is enough wind to keep kite in the air then you are flying upwind.

Of course not everybody is interested in this type of riding but in light wind I just want to be planing and going fast. Slogging around is not my idea of fun.

I was hesitant to pair the race board with a low aspect kite but I find the fast turning and immediate grunt very helpful in getting the apparent wind going quickly. I also find I am not worried about relaunch anymore which is nice to not have that in my mind when riding.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Hawaiis wrote:I have tried just about all the big kites out there,
the best is Ozone Edge 19M

Haw talk to my about the 19m edge. I have one coming

How much do you weigh?
Whats the top end?
How is the hang?

I'm not really into low wind. I want to jump and not come down.

Jinx
Rare Poster

Postby Jinx » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:Other important attributes they didn't mention......
1. Fastest turning
2. Best for unhooking and/or practicing tricks in light wind
3. Least likely to Hindenburg when the lines slack(or drift)
4. Most fun to fly in light wind

And the winner is......Fat Lady :D

Right on!

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:58 pm

rtz wrote:Something to see and read while it's cold and dark out(and no wind!):

http://kitefinder.blogspot.com/2013/12/ ... -2013.html

Too bad a few kites were missing from the test(Infinity, Flite, Zeeko Notus, Cloud, LF NRG, etc)

From all I've read/seen; this is supposed to be one really good kite:

http://oceanrodeo.com/products/flite

Anyone flown it?
Disclaimer: I sell Ocean Rodeo and many other brands of kites. I have gotten to ride the 2014 Flite and I enjoyed it a lot. Previously, my favorite was the Turbine. The Turbine pulls like a truck and has the best light wind relaunch of any kite that I've ever flown. I flew the Flite and the Turbine side by side in 8mph and the Flite was actually performing upwind a little better. It seems to pull just as hard as the Turbine, but is quite a bit faster turning. Also has lighter bar pressure. A newb would need to pay a bit more attention to the kite than the Turbine b/c of the less direct feel. All I'm waiting on is to get them in b/c I'm curious to see their new bar (with it's above the bar depower which we asked for) and see how it relaunches.

I also agree with what several people have said here...Different strokes for different folks. It really depends on what you're looking to do. Crossbow 16, Turbine, Velocity 18, Contra 17, XR3 19, Flite, etc...lots of good light wind riding kites, just find the pros/cons list that makes you happy. And get out and RIDE! :thumb:

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:53 am

I can tell u from my experience that the F Lady does NOT have the Low end that some of the other Big Kites do. I owned one and several other Big kites. I'm in the Super Clydesdale Class. 240 Pecan Pies! The Edge 19 and the Dyno have much more Static Low end. I'm gong to try a 2013 Turbine soon and will report back. The Core 19 is also a Great Kite for Ocean riding.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:54 am

The Clydesdales are the best judges of low end, and from most comments on this topic, it seems obvious that high AR kites have the advantage here. Because of this, I think the kite that gets the best low end like a high AR kite, but still manages to exhibit good relaunch and maneuverability will be the clear front runner in the light wind game.

I look forward to hearing the comparison between the FL and the Turbine.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:00 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:The Clydesdales are the best judges of low end, and from most comments on this topic, it seems obvious that high AR kites have the advantage here. Because of this, I think the kite that gets the best low end like a high AR kite, but still manages to exhibit good relaunch and maneuverability will be the clear front runner in the light wind game.

I look forward to hearing the comparison between the FL and the Turbine.
I agree. At 225, I'm definitely the light wind tester here. If the fat guy can ride in 8mph, then it must be good! :wink:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Poster: Blake Post subject: Re: 6 kites in light wind testUnread postPosted: 13 Dec 2013
Rare Poster
Guys
There is no "best lightwind kite" no matter how hard Dimitri, SupaEZ and others try to tell us that there is..... it all depends on what each one of us is looking for in a kite for light wind riding! For me, it's a 17m CLOUD, for you maybe something else, for YOUR own reasons.....reasons that are probably different than mine, and the guy flying next to you.
I'm so sick of these types of posts....The best at this, or the best at that....... It all boils down to what each of us likes to fly....period!!!!
We all fly kites for the same reason....because we enjoy it...leave it at that.
Blake
You are right Mr. Blake, we all share the same passion. But have you ever tried the INFINITY V3 light wind kite? If not I think you should try it and see it for yourself. A good example was me comparing the INFINITY V3 vs the INFINITY V2 when I was working on the new V3. And in extremely light wind conditions the INFINITY V2 was falling out of the sky compare to the INFINITY V3. Plus in order to come up with a great light wind kite, I had to test other light wind kites from different other kite companies to make sure I can come up with something better. Because the truth is that you do have few light wind kites that are amazing, but the question is: WHAT MAKES A GREAT LIGHT WIND KITE? Well the answer is simple. You want to be able to kite in 7 to 12 knots and have fun correct? When I say fun I don't mean going back and fourth, I am talking about:
-Kite looping,
-Jump Transition with a down loop kite
-handle passes
-jumping with a great hang time
-going up wind
-having the kite move very fast so it can respond to any of your inputs while doing your tricks. Plus of course how good it relaunches in light wind).

These are the attributes that makes an amazing light wind kite. So if you don't believe all these videos or all the testimonials from different kiters that have actually tried the kite, then please get a chance to demo the INFINITY V3 kite. The kite talks for itself.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Dimitri,

We have tried to get an Infinity to test in the past. Send us a Demo and me and Sendit would gladly put it thru the paces. We have the Core 19m, Contra 17m, Turbine 2013 and 2014, and the new OR Flite coming very soon. Would make for a pretty definitive light wind test.

Right now I'm have fun in 8mph on a 15 contra. Today I was doing laps while a 17m Best TS was doing the walk of shame, and I have probably 30 pounds on the other rider.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:33 am

Blake wrote:Guys
There is no "best lightwind kite"
no matter how hard Dimitri, SupaEZ and others try to tell us that there is
Core XR3 19m...........it has it all...with usable power...all the moves..all the loops possible

Super fast turning....upwind machine....stays up ez in 5 kn lulls...no fear of dropping it in the drink

A LW machine with true wind range of 6-7 to 18 knots on the water...yes 18kn....no BS...no problem

229 days out this year....more than 1/2 those days of the 19 XR2 & XR3 combined

It is by far for me the best lightwind kite ever created...a real dream...can't live without it !!!

Very fast and supaez inflate with a Scoprega hand pump...70 seconds

Very very fast deflate...unbelievable how fast you can pack down such a big kite

:cheers: :happybirthday: :pump: :surf:

Return to “Kitesurfing”